Bean Bags/ Rubber Balls

This is a discussion on Bean Bags/ Rubber Balls within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Did you ever think about using rubber ball shot or the bean bag shots that are made for less than lethal shotgun ammo? I have ...

Thread: Bean Bags/ Rubber Balls

Bean Bags/ Rubber Balls

Did you ever think about using rubber ball shot or the bean bag shots that are made for less than lethal shotgun ammo? I have because it would be less likely to travel through walls and if you had to go to court it would look good for you that you were trying to use other than lethal force to stop the threat even if you did kill them with it from a close shot to the face. And what if and I know you should always know your target but what if for god sake you shot you teenager coming home late or mabe getting a midnight snak thinking that they were an intruder they would have a much better chance of living rather than getting 00 buck to the chest.

2. Remove Ads

2 things, Be sure of your target, never point a weapon at something you are not willing to destroy. If I am fearfull for my life then it is reason to destroy.
    A BG shot with less then lethal ammo may still be able to kill you. If I shoot I intend to stop the attack, not slow it down.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    2 things, Be sure of your target, never point a weapon at something you are not willing to destroy. If I am fearfull for my life then it is reason to destroy.
    A BG shot with less then lethal ammo may still be able to kill you. If I shoot I intend to stop the attack, not slow it down.
    +1 well said.

If I am shooting at you then my intent is to kill you. Make no mistake.

If something were to go down an I was forced to shoot then I only want one side of the story to be told. My side.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

I solve the buckshot/slug overpenetration issue by using an M4-style 5.56 carbine as my home defense long gun of choice.

There are other, significant, advantages of a 5.56 carbine over a shotgun in CQB as well.

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    Save the toys for Christmas. If you are in a situation that requires leathal force you darn well better use Leathal force. And if the situation requires less than leathal force you might want to think twice before you shoot them, whether it be with a bean bag or not. The legal system may give LEO some leeway with that stuff, but they probably aren't going to give you the same consideration.
    JMO

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Before I give my comments, lets say they don't call it "less than lethal" anymore, because they have proven to be lethal in the past. The correct term is "less lethal". This came out of a law suit where a tactital team made an entry into a house on an hostage situation and the suspect dropped the gun but still had a knife. When they went into the room, the team leader decided to play nice and ordered the bean bag gunner to launch a bean bag at the suspect and end result was a bean bag that penetrated due to the close range. Saving grace for the officers was that it was actually a lethal force situation, but the law suit created a change, because what they called "less than lethal" acually turned out to be lethal.

I'm not to sure about the legality of a non-leo using bean bag ammo. But even in law enforcement its very restricted in its use, and whenever our team deployed it we were always backed up by two shooters and two muggers, because before we deployed it, there was a serious threat (typically edged weapons) and we've all heard about the 21 foot rule.

Better off just sticking with lethal force and only using it when it is #1 necessary and #2 legal. (in that order for a reason).

Just my opinion.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

A simple solution to the penetration problem is to shoot the BG's just as they are entering your home...when they are following one another...
    Sarcastic? Yes...

In actuality, I couldn't care less about the 'health and welfare' of anyone breaking into my home...I will fear for my life and the lives of my family members. I WILL do whatever it takes to stop the threat...permanently!

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

1943 - 2009
    We had a thread on this topic earlier this month:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=35304

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

I make sure of my target, and don't think about less lethal, since if your trying to kill my wife or me, I plan on stopping you.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Links