Anyone make weakling .223 reloads?

This is a discussion on Anyone make weakling .223 reloads? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just a thought, my buddy was talking about a .22 kit for his AR15 (for shooting squirrels and bunnies and such), and wondering how fast ...

Thread: Anyone make weakling .223 reloads?

Just a thought, my buddy was talking about a .22 kit for his AR15 (for shooting squirrels and bunnies and such), and wondering how fast he could convert back to .223. That made me wonder, any reason why a guy that reloaded his own couldn't make a cartridge out or standard .223 brass and bullet that packs the punch of a .22LR? I figure it wouldn't cycle properly, so basically you have a bolt-action rifle, sort of. Right? Carry loaded with a mag of these "wimp-loads" for hunting little stuff and if the need arises (other in-season game, or wild pig (legal any-time, for any hunter in MI)), just swap mags and bangy-bangy.

Now, tell me the truth: How idiotic is this Idea? Go ahead, I can take it. (or better yet, tell me it's brilliant)
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Anybody out there? Someone at least tell me I'm a moron...

Assistant Administrator
    Care is needed with reduced loads in HV bottle-neck rifle rounds IMO.

Sure, you can download by maybe 20% to 25% but to get ''whisper'' rounds can entail having a very poorly filled case.

If a lot of space spare for powder there have reputedly been cases of what is called ''detonation'' - not sure if that is strictly the case but anyways - over-pressure. Plus too maybe inconsistency in accuracy.

I load some .303 and .308 rounds with cast bullets, keeping MV well below 2k fps - but i use a very high bulk powder so as to not have too empty a case.

Best you can do is experiment a bit but - do not go too low on charge weight - that's my take. Not necessarily as easy as it seems - and you want to stay safe too. Much better is right cal/gun for the job.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Its probably a bad idea especially with a gas operated gun. There needs to be a certain amount of pressure just to get the brass to seal the chamber off - otherwise you'll get burnt badly. Then you need extra gas to make the gun cycle. Also, those little 55 grain bullets (or 40, or 77 - whatever) need some speed to make sure they get out of the barrel. I think it could probably be done in a bolt action or single shot .223 a lot more safely than in an AR. Semi-automatics generally have looser chambers and need plenty of pressure to be safe. I've heard of guys using Unique and cast lead boolits for target ammo in big game rifles....but a .223 isn't much to start with really.

FWIW switching calibers from .22 LR to .223 on an AR would take about 30 seconds if you were moving slow. Take off the upper, swap out the buffer and buffer spring, put on different upper. Done.

Austin

+1 for bad idea in making a .223 perform like a .22lr.

Why would you want to spend as much for the lead as what a .22lr round can be bought much less the time, powder, primer ect to make the bullet act like something it isn't.

My vote is to just go out and get a nice 22 rifle. That wasn't part of the OP, but everyone needs a good 22 in their cabinet.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I don't know if anyone is marketing them anymore but you used to be able to get adapter cartridges. Basically a brass .223 snap cap that screwed apart and had a .22lr chamber in it. They also had them for shooting .30 carbine loads out of .308 or .30-06 chambers.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

The idea was to be able to fire either while in the field, without lugging 2 guns. Thanks for the education guys, I guess a lot of things sound like a good idea when you don't know what you are talking about. The adapters sound interesting...

Administrator
    Its all frosting on that cupcake isnt it? Low power 223 is a bad idea, just as the other posters pointed out.

The .22 conversion is super easy, and could be switched back and forth in a matter of seconds. Its a matter of switching out the bolt and magazine... thats it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    I don't think they are being made anymore.
    Yes, there was a .223 Rem to .22 Rim Fire.

I had some a long time ago that converted .45 acp to .22 rimfire.
    There was a barrel insert and lathe turned steel "cartridges" that the .22 slipped into.
    It worked quite well but, (of course) the action would not cycle and the sights were way off due to the recoil difference.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    +1 for bad Idea, tell him to save up a few bucks and buy a .22. Loading a .223 down that low would be down right dangerous, might not have enough juice to clear the barrel, very low load density etc.

.223 thoughts

I have loaded .22 cal airgun pellets into .223 brass with the flash hole drilled out and made primer-powered loads that were fun and could probably whap a bird or squirrel pretty good. I only fired them out of a T/C Contender and not a 20" AR, though. Might stick in a long barrel. Make sure you mark the brass so you don't load a full power load in that brass. I filed an X into the headstamp. A while ago I found a chart with loads for a bunch of different calibers using a little bit of Bullseye and plain lead round balls. If you did some searching, you could probably find something like that again. Some of the listed loads in the mainstream reloading manuals for .223 lead bullets are pretty mild, too.

Or, to avoid the hassle....

I have the Ceiner .22 conversion kit. http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/sto...ONVERSION+KITS
    The kit and two magazines fit in a flat plastic box that about fits in a BDU cargo pocket. The 30 round mags are expensive, but these folks make good aftermarket mags.http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/sto...+LR+CONVERSION
    Mine works fine but gets ammo sensitive if it gets too dirty. All you have to change is the bolt carrier and magazine.

I looked at Numrich, they list a couple of conversion adapters, but not in .223. I have the .30-06 to .32ACP and it works great out to 25 yards or so.

Yes, the .22 kit would not only apparantly be a better way to go (he does have a .22, BTW), but it would save save hime the trouble of getting into reloading:), although he's been considering in anyway.

I doubt that it would work out that great due to the greatly reduced loading.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

From Hodgdon's site:

55 GR. HDY FMJ 55 Titegroup .224" 2.200" 3.1 1064 4,000 CUP
    55 GR. HDY FMJ 55 Clays .224" 2.200" 3.2 1060 3,700 CUP
    Madison at GT: 55gr FMJ 5.6gr Unique 1850fps

Litespeed 67 at GT: 40gr JHP 7gr Blue Dot 2000fps
    " " 11gr Blue Dot 2600fps

Sponsored Links