SD ammo for use in Condo

This is a discussion on SD ammo for use in Condo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; (I posted this on another forum, but wanted to get some feedback from here as well.) I am going to keep 2 .38 Special J ...

Thread: SD ammo for use in Condo

SD ammo for use in Condo

(I posted this on another forum, but wanted to get some feedback from here as well.)

I am going to keep 2 .38 Special J frames in my home for self defense purposes. My only concern is that I'm in a condo and need something that won't over-penetrate the walls in a SHTF situation. While my common walls are block I don't want to take any chances.
    I'm looking at the Glaser Blue Safety Slugs, but would like any other suggestions for a round like this that I can fire in an emergency and not have to worry about hitting a neighbor.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

2. Remove Ads

Speer 135gr GD+P short barrel load.

VIP Member
    Had a Instructor tell me once that he had apartment issues too...loaded his wth 2 or three Glaser rounds...then some GDHP's...he felt if he got to that part of the ammo he would be needing it.

Quote Originally Posted by simon View Post
    Had a Instructor tell me once that he had apartment issues too...loaded his wth 2 or three Glaser rounds...then some GDHP's...he felt if he got to that part of the ammo he would be needing it.
    Sounds about right to me.

FYI, Condos, apartments built to recent building codes have "heavier" walls and ceilings than most new homes, with either masonry block walls and concrete floors or at minimum 2-1/2" dense drywall on the walls, 1-1/4" on the ceiling.

Magsafe and RBCD are like Glasers in that they are frangibles and should break up on contact with wall. Have all three and have no idea which is better. If you read threads on them, none penetrate very deeply, 4-10 inches but all of the make permanent holes with big diameters. For example, RBCD claims its 9mm penetrates 9 inches with a 7 inch in diameter permanent wound cavity and from looking at other sources that have tested RBCD that looks pretty close. Every report I have seen, not very many and maybe not very reliable sources, from actual shootings say all of them work well despite the lack of penetration. Right now I carry a Magsafe in the chamber, two on the top of the magazine and the rest corbon DPX in my home gun. When I go out, I put in a magazine with all corbon DPX but leave the magsafe in the chamber.

Links