How to get a pristine bullet

This is a discussion on How to get a pristine bullet within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ok, for my undergraduate research this year i am doing something gun related . i will be looking at how rifling induced textures on fired ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to get a pristine bullet

Question How to get a pristine bullet

ok, for my undergraduate research this year i am doing something gun related . i will be looking at how rifling induced textures on fired bullets undergo deformation when then go into something (like people).
    well the first thing i need to do is get some non-deformed fired bullets.
    any ideas?
    preferably somewhat cheap and easy to do. indoors would be better cuz its really really cold and snowy here now. but ill take all suggestions.
    next, how to fire them into a medium that will deform them, with increasing deformation, but still be able to recover them.

ps. sorry for spelling pristine wrong in the title- i need to type slower

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Firing into gel seems to keep them from deforming ,but isn't cheap. Water , or a hard target will deform them. steel plates make good targets, just be careful of ricochets.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

JD
    Administrator
    A big barrel of sand or a row of sand bags using FMJ bullets.

Assistant Administrator
    Title spelling corrected!

Well JHP's are easier because fired into water they will come out in good shape with nice rifling grooves. JHP's are a problem of course for the water trick at normal velocities.

One method I'd think of trying but with care, is to load a JHP over a miniscule powder charge - bit more than primer. This would be enough to eject bullet after picking up rifling and have so little energy that deformation would all but nothing. I won't suggest a charge weight as I would have to experiment myself - I would tho choose a slow burn powder.

Wetpack newspaper will give some deformation effects altho a bit exaggerated - but the bullets are easily recoverable once the paper layers ''dismantled".

Ballitic gel is perhaps the most useful but that means cost to set up.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Sand will stop them and hopefully help with your project.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

If you just want the rifling on the non deformed bullet, could you not just pull the barrel off the gun and push a bullet through with a rod, and plop it comes out the other side with the rifling groves on the bullet. This may not give the exact groves as when fired but there would be zero deformation.

From there, your options are many, jel, sand, water, the butt end of a log, newspaper, or old school books shot on edge, lots of things will stop a bullet, depending on what type of bullet you use, is going to depend on the final deformation. FMJ less than any other, hollow point the most, and anything in between depending on the composition of the bullet and what it is fired into.

Just remember the faster the rate of travel, the more likely it is to come apart when hitting any media. A 50 bmg fired into water will be little bits and pieces when recoverd. A FMJ .45 will be mostly in tact, if not fully.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Assistant Administrator
    Sand will stop them and hopefully help with your project.
    That is true but ... at closer ranges even with a FMJ - there will usually be some grit effect to mar the nose of the bullet.... if that is acceptable then try it.

To add- pushing a jacketed bullet thru a barrel bore is not easy - using of course a good brass rod but - the force required is considerable - in fact the pressure needed on bullet base is likely to make it try to expand and so be even harder to eject. Cast bullets are easier but still not easy at all.

I'd personally prefer a squib made to do the job - with care.
    Chris - P95

i dont want to push it through or use a squib because a. it will make a difference for what i am looking at. and b. i dont have reloading equipment for a 9mm set up right now.
    i will be looking at 9mm fmj... cuz thats what i have. may try some jhp too.
    i thought sand would do the trick. so here is my next question:

how do i shoot a bullet into sand in an indoor range while being able to get the bullet out without having to , for example, rip open a sandbag

Assistant Administrator
    Well - for the intact bullet I still reckon a squib works well - anyways yeah - no reloading yet so forget that one.

As for shooting into sand .... somewhat doubt this'll be easy at a range ..... if the far end has steel plates as many do that's no good and can't see you carrying a load of sandbags for the job.

From choice doing this - I would favor a sand trap of one's own at home or somewhere you can use - such that you have a sandfilled structure and can fire and then go dig - maybe use a sieve.

Can't see the range method being very feasable.
    Chris - P95

Based on your description, unless your really, really good friends with the range folks, I don't see them letting you carry all that stuff into the indoor range and then dumping sand all over the floor.

If there were a way to do it at your home P95 is right about using a bucket of sand and just firing down into it. This will however put lots of other marks on the bullet in addition to the rifling.

If you could get a 55 gallon drum and fill it with water, and shoot straight down into it with a FMJ round that would give you a relatively clean, undisrupted piece of lead to look at. I would feel confident that the depth of water from a drum of that size would stop the bullet well before it hit bottom.

Good luck, take some pictures when you decide what method your going to do. When can we expect the full report and a copy of the paper your doing for your course work?
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    shooting into regular dry, fairly loose newsprint results in relatively non-deformed bullets. However, whether it will disrupt the engraving of the lands is a crapshoot. Shooting for the end result of a completely undisturbed fired bullet to use as a control would be quite tricky. Can't think of anything dooable that would result in a good control for you.

as far as being good friends with one of the range ppl so i can do this-
    i am one of the range ppl. i can go down there whenever and do what i want. so thats not a problem
    i think the current plan is to get a cardboard box full of sand and shoot into that, using duct tape to repair the holes as they are made.
    dont worry. ill take pics and such

If you want a good look at a bullet engraving, tap a bullet through a barrel from the breech end with a wooden dowell.

Call your local police department, your state police office or any of the federal agencies in your area and ask to speak to a supervisor of the firearms unit.

Get an appointment with him or her.

Describe what you are trying to do the report on.

Problem should be solved soon after that.

huh?
    im not doing a report.
    im doing scientific research on the deformation characteristics of texture patterns...
    im confused by ur comment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links