Defensive Carry banner

BG's Ammo? Question for LEO's...

2K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  Smitty908 
#1 ·
I had a question for LEO's as to what types of ammo they find in BG's guns? And what types of ammo are commonly recovered from wounded/killed suspects or victims?

#2 · (Edited)
Well

Last four shootings I went to as a paramedic: .380 Llama with Winchester FMJ. .380 Lorcin and .380 Davis with Winchester FMJ, and Ruger 10/22 with Remington gold bullet hp, the last was a Ruger Single Six in .22 mag. Only one spent round in that one (suicide) unknown bullet.

Last guns I ran into on the street, one a patient had a Taurus .38 with LSWC reloads or mixed brands in it. One was a Davis .380 held together literally with packing tape with 3 rounds of FMJ. One was a Colt Mustang full of Glaser. Another was a .38 Derringer with Federal JHP, probably 125gr. My partner defibrillated the guy with the Derringer a bunch of times before we found it....

#5 ·
Last four shootings I went to as a paramedic: .380 Llama with Winchester FMJ. .380 Lorcin and .380 Davis with Winchester FMJ, and Ruger 10/22 with Remington gold bullet hp, the last was a Ruger Single Six in .22 mag. Only one spent round in that one (suicide) unknown bullet.
What was the outcome of the patients? What was the nature of the wounds, how many times were they shot?

#4 ·
Wow...what a good question! I am very curious about this and will be watching for responses.

#8 ·
The vast majority of the time, its whatever local flavor is cheapest at the time. Around here, that Ultramax reloads mostly.
The ones that have decent HP ammo had it when it was stolen, or it was in a gun that was not aquired for the purpose of crime. I.E, a domestic that turned into a shooting.

#10 ·
All the flavors from FMJ to whatever is the latest HP. It's common to see a mix different makes and designs in the same mag/cylinder. It's whatever they can get.
The weirdest one was a really old, really poor condition 5 shot British Bulldog, don't recall what make and caliber, but the subjects had taken .44 mag ammo and to get them to fit in the cylinder they cut the bullet off flush with the case mouth. I wouldn't have felt safe shooting that one with the ammo it was made for.

#11 ·
Whatever is in the market. The new criminals carry the cheap crap but the experienced ones carry better guns with known and proven ammo and practice a lot. It has been a stereotype that they use all the junk guns and what have you but an increasing number are "gun criminals" that aren't stupid when it comes to selecting weapons.

The preferred weapons up here are 38 snubbies, 1911's with hardball, and Glock 17s.

#14 ·
I am not LEO or experienced in "BG" gun/ammo selection, but I have often wondered about this, it seems that they would have whatever they stole it with in it... I think most of us here, (and most of the other gun boards I frequent) are pretty dilligent about researching the 'latest / greatest" ammo selection for our firearms. I wonder how often LEO's come across STOLEN firearms of top quality loaded with the highest end premium ammo on the market. I never leave a firearm in the car, if I can possibly avoid it, but there are times it can't be helped. I hate the thought of some scum walking around with a Springfield TRP 1911 filled with Federal HST 230gr. +P.....:gah:

-Tim S.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.