Good, defensive .22 pistol ammo?

This is a discussion on Good, defensive .22 pistol ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know that sounds ridiculous. First I'll ask the question. The longer story follows for those who want it. I've got a 4" .22LR pistol ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good, defensive .22 pistol ammo?

Question Good, defensive .22 pistol ammo?

I know that sounds ridiculous. First I'll ask the question. The longer story follows for those who want it. I've got a 4" .22LR pistol that could be pressed into defensive service. Do they make a .22 round intended for defensive use? Anyone know if cci mini-mag HPs will penetrate and/or expand if fired out of a pistol? Will Stingers damage my 22A? Any source of good data? Thanks for any input.

Here's the long story:

I am newly the proud owner of a use S&W 22A. I bought it for cheap, fun shooting, and to get the kids and the wife started with handguns. The only handgun currently in the house is my carry piece (until now). No real defensive longguns either, just a bolt action.22 and a .22/.410 over/under. I figure, since I figure Santa is gonna finally get me a gunlocker (not a real beefy safe, but it'll keep the kids out), the over/under that the kids are familiar with and the .22 pistol can stay ready to go. If I'm not home the wife can herd the kids (10 and 13) into my bedroom, open the safe and hand the over/under to one of them. Anyone that comes in the room that isn't me or a cop gets a face full of shot and a chest full of .22. It's the best I can do right now, and probably all the gun they can handle at the moment (wife included).
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I'd suggest CCI Velocitors.

They're heavy, fast, and have a Speer hollow point bullet.

Qwik-shock. I hope I spelled it correctly. It gives an impressive wound channel for a .22. The bullet splits into 3 parts, and gives 3 nasty wound channels.
    Last edited by swiftyjuan; December 13th, 2007 at 12:28 AM. Reason: added last sentence.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Don't feel bad Cupcake. My wife had never even touched a gun in her life. I told her she had to learn how to use one for protection and took her out to fire my S&W 4506. I went out and bought her a Llama 1911 .22LR the next day. I did a little research, and picked up CCI Velocitors. They seem to be one of the most powerful .22LRs on the market. My only concern with them would be overpenetration.

CCI Stingers or the Velocitors would be my recommendation. I use the Stingers on varmints and does good job with clean kills.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    I know that sounds ridiculous. First I'll ask the question. The longer story follows for those who want it. I've got a 4" .22LR pistol that could be pressed into defensive service. Do they make a .22 round intended for defensive use? Anyone know if cci mini-mag HPs will penetrate and/or expand if fired out of a pistol? Will Stingers damage my 22A? Any source of good data? Thanks for any input.

Here's the long story:

I am newly the proud owner of a use S&W 22A. I bought it for cheap, fun shooting, and to get the kids and the wife started with handguns. The only handgun currently in the house is my carry piece (until now). No real defensive longguns either, just a bolt action.22 and a .22/.410 over/under. I figure, since I figure Santa is gonna finally get me a gunlocker (not a real beefy safe, but it'll keep the kids out), the over/under that the kids are familiar with and the .22 pistol can stay ready to go. If I'm not home the wife can herd the kids (10 and 13) into my bedroom, open the safe and hand the over/under to one of them. Anyone that comes in the room that isn't me or a cop gets a face full of shot and a chest full of .22. It's the best I can do right now, and probably all the gun they can handle at the moment (wife included).
    Hey...in my gun collection is a Ruger MkII 22. If my home were invaded and the MkII happened to be the only gun I could get my hands on I'd pity the fool who wound up with a magazine full of 22LR zinging around in his chest for his effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    CCI Stingers or the Velocitors would be my recommendation. I use the Stingers on varmints and does good job with clean kills.
    +1 on the Stingers. They are very reliable - always go bang.

Leave it to me to buck the trend. If I were relying on a 22 caliber pistol in a defensive scenario, I'd choose lead round nose ammunition. More than likely my Remington Target, or the CCI green tag. I'd also go for a head-shot if at all possible.

Thanks for the advice, guys. Not too concerned about overpenetration, since more than likely, the kids and wife will be huddled up together in the "Alamo" (my bedroom).

Ram Rod: I can understand why one might choose lead round nose, but aren't the green dot and green tag subsonic (and consequently, low energy) rounds? I'm looking for something with all the energy one can squeeze into a .22LR. Thanks for the reply, though.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!

Cupcake, the QwikShok is lead, I think it is 1600+ ft/sec., and when it breaks up into three parts supposedly leaves the wound channel of a .38. You might want to Google it.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Hey swifty,
    Google the quik-shok and found this. Sounds intruiging, but this data has me leaning toward stingers. Too bad I cold only find data for 2.4" barrel, I've got a 4", they might perform better.
    http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs27.htm

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I would have to say any high velocity round would do assuming you have good sights . Personally when i get down to .32 and .22 i worry more about adequate penetration than i do expansion so i tend to lean to solids and a precise shot . I have investigated enough shootings that i dont discount small cal arms , i also choose not to rely on them as results are spotty .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    Don't feel bad Cupcake. My wife had never even touched a gun in her life. I told her she had to learn how to use one for protection and took her out to fire my S&W 4506. I went out and bought her a Llama 1911 .22LR the next day. I did a little research, and picked up CCI Velocitors. They seem to be one of the most powerful .22LRs on the market.
    It is waht I carry in the NAA 22LR and Iíve put them in my wifeís 22LR Berretta. While I would not pick a 22LR to defend myself, itís better than being unarmed. And it sure does blow a nasty hole in a 2x6.

Quick Shok

By CCI is very impresive. All the performance of the Stinger due to the longer case, but with a neat pre-fragmented design. It shoots great in my Walther P22 and a little NAA I have, and just about anything else I would ever press into service for defense. Even from the 1.something NAA barrel it breaks into three separate pieces and makes 3 wound paths. All I have tested it in is wet newspaper and Armadillos, but It's all I would consider for serious use. FWIW, I'm not a "deep penetration above all else" kind of stopping power thinker, either. I'd rather have the bigger wound.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Leave it to me to buck the trend. If I were relying on a 22 caliber pistol in a defensive scenario, I'd choose lead round nose ammunition. More than likely my Remington Target, or the CCI green tag. I'd also go for a head-shot if at all possible.
    Agreed RR.

In fact I'd have no problem at all running my Marvel Precision match grade upper on any of my 1911 lowers toward defense.

The upper, my upper, has been bulletproof across _boxes_ of ammo in training (atleast 5k rounds since I bought it) and it very rarely ever chokes. When it does I't always been due to an issue with the ammo either being a dud or the bullet not being seated properly from the factory (set at an angle).
    The former is something that can happen to any regular ammo though not likely for top shelf grade ammo like Aguilla.
    The latter is easily resolved by visually inspecting ones rounds toward selection of use prior to loading them into the mag.

Stupid accurate, reliable, very light recoil, and 10 rds. lightening quick down range into the BGs eye(s), throat, or upper thigh (the Sean Taylor shot) and I don't believe anyone at the coroners office would deem the total mass of lead poisoning as applied to be laughable.
    As well the Marvel can support mounting of a sight or scope for increased accuracy though mine is setup with adjustable target sights.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links