45 acp vs 45 long colt

This is a discussion on 45 acp vs 45 long colt within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I do not have any books to look up the specs on these two..can anyone provide any info please? Muzzel velocity and impact info etc....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45 acp vs 45 long colt

45 acp vs 45 long colt

I do not have any books to look up the specs on these two..can anyone provide any info please? Muzzel velocity and impact info etc.

2. Remove Ads

There is a big difference. I shoot Corbon Hunting loads w/300 gr JSP at 1300 FPS from my Ruger Redhawk. That is one smoking load with quite a bit of kick. You won't find that hot of load in many places because there are too many 100 year old 45 Long Colts out there that can't handle the pressure. Common older loads are 250 gr cast bullet @ 700 to 1000 FPS and that 1000 is pretty hot for older guns. It's a great hunting round if you've got a modern strong handgun. 45 ACP is a good self defense round and runs from about 185 gr @ 994 FPS to 230 gr @ 877 FPS for a factory load. It's pretty much comparing apples and oranges. They each have a different purpose. The 45 ACP is mainly for defense and 45 Long Colt is use a lot for cowboy shoots and hunting. The cowboy loads are quite light.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

+1 Huge difference.

I've handloaded .45 ACPs to about 1050 fps with a 200 grain bullet. Average is probably 800-850 with a 230 grain bullet. I think chamber pressure is around 21,000 or so.

I've handloaded .45 LC with 360 grain bullets to 1000 fps. 255 grain bullets easily do 1350 fps. These are Ruger/TC only loads....pressures are in the 30,000 range.

If you want some free information go to any of the powder manufacturer's websites and browse through their reloading data. hodgdon, alliant, accurate....all post their data online for free.

Handloads.com has a calculator for ft/lbs, TKO, etc... just plug your data in.

Austin

VIP Member
    So, for all the guys who call 9mm '.380 Long,' wouldn't .45 ACP just be .45 Long Colt, Short?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Op that is baddddd lol .

On factory loads there is no realistic differance between lc and acp . On handloads you can " hot rod " the lc a lot further than you can the acp .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

My main reason for asking is that my shooting partner has the long colts and I shoot the acp's...was just wanting an idea of the difference in shooting power. He (long colt guy) doesn't really like the kick of a 45 acp and yet he loves the feel of the LC, go figure..I suspected the LC was a hotter load and I was right, after all, look at how much more powder you can stuff into that long casing!..tnx for the info guys!

If you shoot the -P .45 LC factory loads they are pussycats - especially in an all steel revolver. This is like a 200 LFN at maybe 750 fps...as close to pathetic as you can get with a .45

If you have a revolver you can load pretty much whatever you want - autoloaders need enough oomph to get them to function so they end up being a little warmer.

Austin

There's no such caliber as .45 Long Colt. The correct designation is .45 Colt (vs. the .45 ACP - Automatic Colt Pistol). But generally you're getting good information above regarding the differences. The .45 Colt was originally a black powder cartridge while the .45 ACP was developed after smokeless powder became the norm. In its black powder configuration, the .45 Colt had no powder capacity issues. It could handle ALL it could hold. With the development of smokeless .45 Colt loads, it became necessary to load much more carefully because of the resulting excess powder capacity. With the right data, in a firearm design meant to handle them, the .45 Colt can be jazzed to quite high pressure, high energy loads. Be careful!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

It's like comparing apples to oranges. I've shot some pretty hot 45 Colt loads in my 454 Casuall, it's really more of a hunting round.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    There's no such caliber as .45 Long Colt. The correct designation is .45 Colt (vs. the .45 ACP - Automatic Colt Pistol).
    I've been to the Colt website and they do in fact refer to the "Long Colt" to describe the "45 Colt". I used to think the same way and had to change my mind, DANG IT!!

Yep heaver bullet, larger case, higher muzzle velocity, granted you do not have to do this stuff but when facing a bear you want all the horse power you can get from your gun.
    Now I am not advising this, or will I give any information other than basic, but I have pushed a 185 grain copper at 2,000 fps in a TC with a bull barrel. I worked this load up after a whole lot of experimentation.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Senior Moderator
    My main reason for asking is that my shooting partner has the long colts and I shoot the acp's...was just wanting an idea of the difference in shooting power. He (long colt guy) doesn't really like the kick of a 45 acp and yet he loves the feel of the LC, go figure..I suspected the LC was a hotter load and I was right, after all, look at how much more powder you can stuff into that long casing!..tnx for the info guys!
    People here are forgetting that the original .45ACP was loaded to approximate the ballistics of the .45 Colt in a shorter case that could be used in a semi auto.

With factory loads, the two are much closer to each other than most would have you believe.

Only after the .45 ACP was in common use, did the .45 Colt became known as the .45 Long Colt to differentiate between the two as the .45 Colt was still pretty popular at the time.

It is true that both can be hottrodded...the .45 Colt has more room for it in modern guns with modern metallurgy. It also shoots the heavier bullets, whereas the .45 ACP is pretty limited.

The newer revolvers that can use .45 Colts such as the .454 or 455 can take pressures that would blow the older revolvers to pieces. It is those loads that put the .45 LC way ahead of the .45 ACP.

If you look at factory specs, you'll see that standard loads aren't that far apart. The different actions and perception of recoil make both shooting either gun a different experience.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

There has always been some discussion on the " long Colt " term. Many moons ago,...... the Cavalry was issued in limited numbers the Schofield rovolver in .45 Schofield, not .45 Colt. The Schofield round was noticable shooter and if my memory serves me right, could be fired in the .45 Colt Single Action Army but not the other way around.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; December 19th, 2007 at 03:27 PM. Reason: It's "Cavalry", not "Calvalry".

Don't have my Barnes "Cartridges of the World" to hand but retiredswine make a good point about the "unofficial" title of .45 "Long" Colt. The shorter .45 cartridge otherwise known as the .45 S&W that would fit the Schofield revolver featured a 230 grain bullet over a 28 grain charge of black powder. The .45 Colt featured a 255 or in some instances a 260 grain bullet over 40 grains of black powder. Since there were some S&W contract revolvers in Army stores the Army procured shorter cartridge for some years as it would also chamber in the Colt M1873. Would have been a big bummer to have been in battle with a S&W revolver and cartridges too long to fit. Hence the "long" designation.

Someone with a proper reference step in and make adjustments as necessary.

The black powder .45 Colt factory load had a fairly high muzzle velocity considering the weight of its slug; something over 900 FPS in some published information. This is still plenty salty for most applications for which a handgun is used.

I posted a cartridge discussion of .45 Colt on another forum. Since Tubby is sticking up his impressions of the cartridges he handloads I'll retread that discussion in our new handloading section. Yeah for handloading section! Still grateful.

Sorry Crunch,.......... I had rabies or somethin last night.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links