Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How Effective is the 40 caliber handgun in stopping a lethal threat?

74K views 83 replies 68 participants last post by  m5215 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Shooters,

I am a former Marine and ask both shooters & LEO'S:

With the proper shot placement how effective is 40 cal. handgun in stopping a lethal threat? While active in the Marines I have personally seen the damage a .45 caliber handgun can do.

I have shot various .40 caliber guns but lack information on how successful the .40 caliber gun is in incapacitating someone threatening you with lethal force! I have taught my wife to shoot our 9mm -Sig 239, which is used for protecting our home against lethal threats inside our home. We have shot 9mm, 40 caliber and 45 pistols at our range and from shooting all these caliber handguns the 40 caliber handgun is what we shoot best.

Plus I feel that 9mm handgun is not enough for our needs --when in most encounters I had in the Marines --were so surprisingly fast that only one or two shots were fired. How effective is the 40 caliber handgun with 1 -2 shots in stopping a lethal threat?
Thank-you shooters for your thoughts & data!

There's No Life Before Coffee!:theyareontome:

:wave:

See less See more
#33 ·
.40 S&W JHP loaded to the higher ranges of velocity (which all factory defensive ammo is) is devastating to tissue. Remember, the .45 travels at lower velocities. They are both excellent rounds. The effectiveness of a comparable 9mm JHP is going to be a little less than these two rounds but not by much. However, the most important factor is not caliber. Rather it is to use high quality JHP ammo, Corbon and Hornady come to mind, and as has been mentioned many times before, "shot placement is king."

Lastly, if you're at all interested in the ultimate home defence weapon it would have to be a 12 gauge shotgun in the short police riot gun variety. I think they hold about six or seven rounds.

#35 ·
A little research of ballistic tables can show you all major calibers, effectiveness, etc..It comes down to hitting your target, controllability of the weapon, and realistically, what you can handle and like. Shorter barrels translates into slower and different bullet performance, but, modern loads are very effective at what they are manufactured for. Luck.

#38 ·
I have a .40 ready for the call. But in addition to maming or killing an intruder is a concern of over penetration and injuring a loved one. Although I do not own a tactical shotgun. I do think it might be the best for home protection as long as it wasn't loaded with heavy shot or slugs. I scaled down from my .45 to the .40 for home protection. I have read several reports of over penetration accidents - and it is a major concern for me. I want to stop the threat ASAP - but without harm for the ones I was protecting. Maybe 9mm or shotgun - I don't know.

#39 ·
All guns will penetrate a wall, so your best bet is to be aware of your surrounding and know where it is safe to shoot.

You really need to look at your house and figure out where is the best place to position yourself defensively and have set shooting lanes that are safe.

Do not plan on any round not penetrating walls and injuring your family or innocent neighbors.

#40 ·
I recall a Texas Ranger who was asked why he carried a .45 and he said because they don't make a .46. Seriously the .45 is lauded as the best hand gun, especially when in the 1911 configuration. It is a little like arguing about the difference between Ford and Chevrolet pickups. I like the .45.

#41 ·
I don't want to derail this thread, but for those who are interested, google 5.56 and sheetrock to see what comes up. In summary, if you're using a hollow point, lightweight bullet, 5.56 rounds tend to break up when they hit sheetrock and other walls. This helps reduce the problem of overpenetration vs. pistol and shotgun rounds. Again, I'm not trying to derail the thread, just putting the information out there since the subject came up.

#42 ·
It is a matter of personal choice. I made mine many years ago when I had to call on a 1911 made by Singer to pull my bacon from the fire.

For those of you who will trust your life to a bullet that MAY expand----Mine will never be smaller than .451 and could quite possibly be larger.

#43 ·
Thanks for this thread - this question was on my mind for awhile. My LEO friends and relatives are very confident in 40SW. Both are big Glock guys. But then I met a special forces guy who will ONLY carry a 1911 .45 with hollowpoints. I guess I concluded that either will get the job done just fine if I can do my part and get the training & practice that should go with it

#46 ·
There is a good document (see HWFE below) produced by the FBI's Firearm Training Unit Research publication, Handgun Wounding Factors and Effectiveness. It is a very good read.

Basically it is placement and penetration. The links below provide good data to support a .40 as a viable caliber. There is no "magic bullet". You have already completed the part that will lead to a more likely success in a SD situation; find the gun/round you/she shoot the best.

HWFE

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/defensive-ammunition-ballistics/62036-p.html

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbull...istics/61910-what-weight-bullet-40-cal-2.html

#48 ·
I wouldn't go by the LEO stats...the FBI states a 20% hit rate. Most LEO's use the .40. I'd say that's pretty poor. Is it the caliber's fault? No, but that shows what stats can do. The .40 is a pretty snappy recoil. I'd recommend the .45 with it's gentler "push" and great stopping power.

#49 ·
.40 works well...

I think the .40 is an effective caliber for defensive use, and compares well with .45 in that regard. The lighter weight .40 ammo gives you about 1200 fps velocity and 500 ft-lbs of energy, and generally penetrates 12 to 14 inches in gelatin tests, with expansion to about 0.8 inches. Marshall and Sanow liked it, giving it their "one shot stop" ranking in the 95% range. And quite a few police departments think well of it, judging by the way they arm their officers.

I have 3 guns in .40 and find the accuracy comparable to my .45 and 9mm guns. The recoil is sharp but not objectionable, and you can quickly get used to it with practice. .40 has one big advantage over .45 in that you can carry more rounds in the .40, due to the smaller case diameter relative to .45.

#51 ·
the 40 caliber handgun is what we shoot best.
IMHO, then the .40 cal is for you.

Thankfully I don't have any first-hand experience in stopping a human lethal threat with a pistol of any caliber, though the members here have provided you with some good reference information.

Actually I don't find the additional recoil of the .40 a significant issue for me. Here are two examples, YMMV:

1. Glock 27- My wife (lukewarm shooter) and I both shot this gun when it was new. She originally had leo training with a G19, and she never mentioned any recoil complaints about the .40 cal. I didn't notice too much about it other than there isn't much on the G27 to grip. Later, I added the extended floor plate on the bottom of a mag (not the Pearce) and it gave me just the right amount of extra to hang on to.

2. Sig comparison- This isn't an "official" test but I have a 239 SAS DAK in 9 mm; and I also have a 229 SAS DAK in .40 caliber. I can hardly tell any difference in the recoil between the two. Granted, the 229 is heavier and absorbs the recoil to the point where it feels about like shooting the 239. The difference is barely noticeable to me.....I don't know, maybe I have cave man nerve endings, and should be working for GEICO. :smile:

#52 ·
i like the 40 cal my XD is 40cal and very accurate.as far as being effective it depends on shot placement and the type of ammo.
get some .40 federal 165gr hst hp and you will be good to go.:hand10:

#53 ·
You answered your own question... "With proper shot placement" My walther in 32 cal will stop in one shot if I were to hit the bad guy in the head.
Lets put pareto's 80/20 rule in play...its 20% gun and 80% shot placement.
A 38, 357, 40, 45, 9mm all fit that 20%... the other 80% is up to you.

#54 ·
With the right ammo 9mm or .40 cal. is effective. I think shot placement is more important than size. Which ever you shoot best is what I would say is more effective.

#55 ·
Whatever gun and caliber combo you shoot best should be your choice. All of the common LE/defense calibers - 9mm, 357sig, .40S&W, .45ACP, .38spl, .357mag, .44spl, etc., etc., etc. - will do the job with quality self defense ammo as long as you do yours. If you can't put the bullet where it counts it doesn't matter what caliber it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.