How Effective is the 40 caliber handgun in stopping a lethal threat? - Page 6

How Effective is the 40 caliber handgun in stopping a lethal threat?

This is a discussion on How Effective is the 40 caliber handgun in stopping a lethal threat? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There is an extremely thorough thread on caliber selection, ballistics and choice, put together by and Atlanata Mortician and enthusiast, found here: Terminal ballistics as ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: How Effective is the 40 caliber handgun in stopping a lethal threat?

There is an extremely thorough thread on caliber selection, ballistics and choice, put together by and Atlanata Mortician and enthusiast, found here:
    Terminal ballistics as viewed in a morgue

40 is ok but no pistol is absolute

Shot placement, as stated earlier is paramount. There are no pistols that will guarantee 100% reliable stopping power to all assailants all the time. A pistol cartridge is simply not as effective as rifle or shotgun. In most cases, it will do what you want it to, from .22 all the way up to .45 ACP.
    I have a pdf file that is generously full of information just for a thread like this, unfortunately, it is too large to upload to this site, being around 205k in size.

Also here is a link to an FBI investigating of a shooting in PA.
    FBI-Analysis-on-PA-Police-Shootout.pdf

A word of CAUTION this website pdf shows the dead body of a man killed by multiple shots, and although not overly bloody, it is a dead body at the morgue. However, the x-rays and dialog are excellent for the person that would see that even under multiple hits, this man was able to reload and keep firing back at police. The human body is tough and there are no "knock down" pistol calibers out there. If you feel it in your hand, that's about as much as the target is going to fee... somewhere around the idea of being hit with a thrown baseball.

fbi-hwfe.pdf This is a very good pdf file from the FBI concerning ballistics and handgun stopping power.
    Last edited by Darth AkSarBen; January 4th, 2009 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Addendum:
    Vern
    http://Taurus45ACP.com
    My wesbsite with many pro-gun links.
    Carry Taurus 24/7 Pro in .45 ACP

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-O-Matic View Post
    Being a former Marine -I have taught my wife to shoot--.45 caliber,40 caliber,.357 mag, 9mm., 38 special and she shoots guns better then a lot of men
    My girlfriend is pretty good with .45 and .40 calibers. I had to start her off pretty big
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

This link, in our own forums here, is an excellent read along the lines of this discussion, since the cop was using a Glock and .40 S&W Winchester Ranger ammunition. Shows that you never know the mindset of the BG.
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...es-merged.html
    Vern
    http://Taurus45ACP.com
    My wesbsite with many pro-gun links.
    Carry Taurus 24/7 Pro in .45 ACP

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    The Soulis incident teaches two important lessons: (1) Stay in the fight, with your thinking processes working. (2) Don't keep banging away at the center of mass, if the bad guy is still functioning. Officer Soulis did the first quite well, and lived because he did so. For whatever reason, he kept directing his fire at an ineffective target. Perhaps he did not know he was hitting the bad guy, so kept aiming at COM for that reason.

I long ago programmed my mind to not confine my shots to COM. I sincerely hope I can keep that in mind while under fire. The one time I had to shoot to defend myself and others, one COM shot was thankfully enough, so I remain untested in that regard. (And, pray I remain so.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    The Soulis incident teaches two important lessons: (1) Stay in the fight, with your thinking processes working. (2) Don't keep banging away at the center of mass, if the bad guy is still functioning. Officer Soulis did the first quite well, and lived because he did so. For whatever reason, he kept directing his fire at an ineffective target. Perhaps he did not know he was hitting the bad guy, so kept aiming at COM for that reason.

I long ago programmed my mind to not confine my shots to COM. I sincerely hope I can keep that in mind while under fire. The one time I had to shoot to defend myself and others, one COM shot was thankfully enough, so I remain untested in that regard. (And, pray I remain so.)

I have had a couple of shooting incidences as an MP in the Marines. I was taught to shoot at whatever vital part of the body the person first gives you because you just might not get a second shot before your tasting this parties return fire.

Thanks for your input!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links