41 special/41 long colt

41 special/41 long colt

This is a discussion on 41 special/41 long colt within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A friend is in need of some advice. He has a Colt army special 41 cal, and wants to know if he could use 41 ...

Thread: 41 special/41 long colt

41 special/41 long colt

A friend is in need of some advice. He has a Colt army special 41 cal, and wants to know if he could use 41 long colt in his gun. I figure some of you all might know. Thanks

It sounds as if your friend's revolver is chambered for .41 Long Colt. The .41 Colt chambering was first available in the 1878 Colt DA revolver, popularly known as the "Thunderer" and in the Colt SA Army (model P). After the turn of the century this cartridge was available in Colt's new DA Army revolver, and I suspect that is what your friend has.

The .41 Long Colt cartridge has been out of production for many years. Any existing cartridges are collector items and too valuable to shoot. Likewise the .41 short Colt cartridge has been discontinued for many decades. It too is a collectible.

For that matter, your friend's revolver has reached collector status and would carry a small premium inasmuch as relatively few were chambered for the .41 cartridge.

Your friend should not try to shoot this gun. Even if ammo were available it is more valuable as a collector piece than as a shooter. Unless it is in excellent original condition, it is not a "high dollar" piece, but is certainly worth more than say a nice model 10 S&W which would make him a dandy shooter.

I am a little mystified by the "Army Special" designation. Colt did use the term "special" with a few of their guns, for example, the Detective Special and the Police Positive Special" but I don't believe I have seen an Army Special. But I am not an expert.

"where can i buy ammunition for a colt army speacial 41 and also can i shoot colt 41 long ammunition?"
    His words. Thank you. I figured something like this.

I'd sure be shooting a .41 Long Colt chambered Army Special. I've been keeping an eye out for a good Army Special in .41 Long Colt for some time for shooting and handloading fun. Placing ".41 Long Colt ammunition" in Google reveals a number of sources for ammunition and hand loading components on the first few pages.

The Colt Army Special is a smooth and robust revolver. The revolver was renamed the Official Police in the mid-1920s and soldiered on until 1969. The Python and Officer's Model are also developments on the Army Special/Official Police frame. Parts for older Colt double action revolvers are a bit of a chore to secure but with careful use and proper cleaning and lubrication a good Army Special will see all of us through without requiring any parts.

Army Special
    Banker's Special
    Detective Special
    Police Positive Special

There may be more "Specials" than this in the early 20th century Colt model line up. I suppose that Colt was trying to market to these various entities and also generating appeal to the buying public as well. Since no large Army contracts materialized they must have realized that most Army Specials went to police agencies and so renamed the revolver the Official Police.

1943 - 2009
    Colt did use the term "special" with a few of their guns, for example, the Detective Special and the Police Positive Special" but I don't believe I have seen an Army Special.
    Colt made the Army Special from 1908 to 1927. It was an improved version of the New Army and Navy revolver, with 4.5 inch and 6 inch barrels, blue or nickel finish, with hard rubber stocks.

It was chambered in .32-20, .38 Colt, .38 S&W & .41 Colt.

SN range was 291000 to 540000.

This is the best pic I could find to show the barrel markings.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

I have a 1914 Army Special in .38 Special that sure could use a set of grips like those. The set on the revolver are all broken.

That's a good looking nickel Army Special. I let a .41 Army Special that looked just like it get away many years ago and have wished I'd bought it ever since. It laid in the case for several years at a local pawn shop I frequented. I'd look at it, buy other guns there instead, and tell myself I'd get it later. It was for sale for something like $120.

Vintage Grips can fix you up with replacements.

Thanks Hoot;

That's probably the way I'm gonna go eventually though they'd really look too good for the condition of my old Colt's finish.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Thanks Hoot;

That's probably the way I'm gonna go eventually though they'd really look too good for the condition of my old Colt's finish.
    throw then down the driveway. by the time they quit bouncing they'll look beat up enough to go with the finish. LOL

jualdeax;

You make a good point. I've got a reproduction grip for the right side of a Colt Police Positive that came from who-knows-where. It's a smaller rendition of the same style hard rubber grip that I need for the Army Special. I've thought of experimenting with "aging" it. Your method might be the simplest, hah.

Guess I could install reproduction grips on the old Army Special then tie a cord through the trigger guard, tying the other end to the bumper of my pickup. The poor Colt couldn't look much worse and the overall effect would be pretty "balanced" by the time I drove to work. "Dragged behind a truck" already describes the revolver anyway.

Links