Wal-Mart stupid questions

This is a discussion on Wal-Mart stupid questions within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I'm buying ammo at the local Wal-Mart. The cashier (in the gun department) scans the first box (.38 special) and asks, "is this for ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

So I'm buying ammo at the local Wal-Mart. The cashier (in the gun department) scans the first box (.38 special) and asks, "is this for a handgun?" Well, duh, it's .38 special so I say yes. Then she scans the next box (.40 S&W) and again, mechanically asks, like she's reading from a script, "is this for a handgun?". Again, DUH! It's .40 caliber S&W so, I'm thinking, WTH do you think? Then the last box is .357 magnum, and when she asked, I just said yes and went on my way.
    Now I'm wondering why they ask that. Is it a company policy? Anyone else been asked that question? Why does Wal-Mart need to know, or care, what type of weapon I intend to use the ammo in?
    Their prices are good but if this keeps up I will find another place to shop for ammo.
    Too bad I wasn't buying 9mm, I could have said, "no, its for an Uzi", just to see her reaction.

I believe they ask because if you say it is for a pistol you need to be 21 to purchase it, for a rifle you need only to be 18 to purchase it.

It may seem stupid, but hey, it is a simple question with a simple answer, not really that big of a deal really.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I was asked that when I was 19. I was buying .17 HMR for one of my rifles. I explained to the girl that it was for a rifle but she refused to sell it to me because it could be used in a handgun. She wouldn't budge until I offered to get the rifle out of the car and bring it in and show her.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    I believe they ask because if you say it is for a pistol you need to be 21 to purchase it, for a rifle you need only to be 18 to purchase it.

It may seem stupid, but hey, it is a simple question with a simple answer, not really that big of a deal really.
    Exactly on!

You have to be 21 to purchase hand-gun ammo and 18 to purchase rifle ammo.

Now, there ARE long guns that shoot all of the afore mentioned cartridges and so you COULD say, "Nope, they're for a rifle," and not be lying (well, you would be but it would be a little white lie.. okay.. never mind, don't lie!) but it doesn't matter if you're over 21 anyway.

Usually I just hand them my driver's license when I go to check out and they never even bother asking because they can see that I'm over 21.

I am kind of surprised she kept asking the question even though she saw you were 21.

Chances are pretty high that her register was prompting her to ask you the question and she had to hit a "Y or N" key in order to proceed. She was just going through the motions.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Exactly on!

I am kind of surprised she kept asking the question even though she saw you were 21.

Chances are pretty high that her register was prompting her to ask you the question and she had to hit a "Y or N" key in order to proceed. She was just going through the motions.
    That's good to know. I will never, ever be mistaken for someone who is under 21, so I guess she was just going through the motions. I was worried that it was something more sinister, after all just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you! I didn't know about the different ages for rifle and handgun ammo purchases. Thanks!

K-mart stopped selling handgun ammo in 2001; W-mart still sells handgun ammo, but they are somewhat screwy with the way they do it.

W-mart just got wacked with a $14 million dollar settlement in CA for violating the state's gun laws. http://www.icego.org/details/wal-mart_to_pay_$14m_in_gun_suit.html

They are understandably cautious so likely they have implemented policies to reduce their liability.

How asking "Is this for a handgun?" and entering the data does that, I have no clue, but that's one of my theories.

Either that, or its for marketing statistics. Although they don't sell handguns in lower 48 states, that's by corporate policy, not law. I'm sure they want to know what people are shooting in any particular area for some marketing reason.

VIP Member
    I'm 56... I look every bit of 56... they still ask me!

So I like to say no. But they don't even seem to notice when I say no!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    K-mart stopped selling handgun ammo in 2001; W-mart still sells handgun ammo, but they are somewhat screwy with the way they do it.

W-mart just got wacked with a $14 million dollar settlement in CA for violating the state's gun laws. http://www.icego.org/details/wal-mart_to_pay_$14m_in_gun_suit.html

They are understandably cautious so likely they have implemented policies to reduce their liability.

How asking "Is this for a handgun?" and entering the data does that, I have no clue, but that's one of my theories.

Either that, or its for marketing statistics. Although they don't sell handguns in lower 48 states, that's by corporate policy, not law. I'm sure they want to know what people are shooting in any particular area for some marketing reason.
    "and delivering 36 guns to customers who acquired them for people not allowed to own firearms."

How is this Wal-Mart's fault? When you purchase a gun, you check the box that says it is for yourself and you aren't buying it for anyone else...

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I'm 56... I look every bit of 56... they still ask me!

So I like to say no. But they don't even seem to notice when I say no!
    Reminds me of my next door neighbor place a six-pack of beer on the counter at the grocery store and the clerk said I need some ID. My neighbor said honey I could almost kiss you, today is my 40th birthday. She is a very petite young looking lady. More and more the cash registers are programed to ask these questions and the clerks have to enter something. If they don't ask they can be fired. I'm like you I couldn't pass for 20 to a blind man and it doesn't bother me one bit to have to prove it.

They always ask me the same thing every time, but I'm sure it is an age question which they are required to ask. Now that I'm into reloading I will be making less and less trips to Wal-mart.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Hmm I got some ammo at Wal Mart here in FL a couple weeks ago and they didn't ask...Maybe they're smarter down here. I was buying .357 Magnum and .38 +P

Austin

I like it because it allows for certain things to get by :)

What's stupid is me buying ammunition from midwayusa.com - then recieving an email a day later saying a hold was put on it, until I answered weather or not it would be for a rifle or pistol. (I'm 19)...So I casually answered that the .300 WEATHERBY MAGNUM was for a rifle, and went on my way :)

On a side note, can you imagine that caliber in a pistol???
    Some people don't deserve saving.

....the water is almost at a boil

VIP Member
    If you peek around at the register screen you will see that the question is on the screen and the cashier cannot proceed until it is answered. It is an 18 vs.21 thing. The clerks in some of the stores just do it if you look old enough, but many don't and ask anyway. I had varying results at my Walmart when I actually shopped there.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Next time, when they say, "Is this for a handgun?" Look from side to side like you're making sure no one else can hear you then lean over the counter and with as serious a face as you can muster and whisper, "No, I plan to swallow the whole box and shoot them out my , but don't tell anyone OK!" I just love messing with the idiots behind the counter!
    There’s an old and true, military motto, “Si vis pacem, para bellum” - “If you want peace, prepare for war.”

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links