Snap Caps won't work??

Snap Caps won't work??

This is a discussion on Snap Caps won't work?? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I tried cheap plastic (.50) snap caps in my .45 and when I put one in the chamber and gently close the slide, the slide ...

Snap Caps won't work??

I tried cheap plastic (.50) snap caps in my .45 and when I put one in the chamber and gently close the slide, the slide refuses to close the last inch or so.
    Now, I bought expensive snap caps and tried them in my .40 Beretta and 9mm Kahr. Same thing. I don't want to slam the slide shut fearing it will jam the caps in them, but when closing the slide gently on them the slide refuses to close the last inch or so, which disables using the trigger and subsequent practice. Am I doing something wrong?
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy to carry...

Try this

Try feeding them from the magazine rather than dropping them into the chamber and closing the slide. Sometimes the extractor will dig into the plastic rim rather than snapping over it. Actually a good habit to have with live ammo, too.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Load them into your magazine and chamber them like any other round. They're designed to allow you to practice all manipulations of your gun, so I'd venture a guess that they will hold up to being chambered.

VIP Member
    Try these:
    They are solid aluminum with a brass primer. I use these a LOT! They are great for practicing fail-to-fire drills. The 'primer' is mounted on a spring so it will not damage the firing pin & they feed just like regular ball ammo.

These are made by Traditions (same company that does black power stuff).
    Attached Images
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

That did it. Thanks. I was afraid to try loading it from the mag, fearing that it would jam inside the chamber, but it worked fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Chase2b View Post
    I tried cheap plastic (.50) snap caps in my .45 and when I put one in the chamber and gently close the slide, the slide refuses to close the last inch or so.
    Now, I bought expensive snap caps and tried them in my .40 Beretta and 9mm Kahr. Same thing. I don't want to slam the slide shut fearing it will jam the caps in them, but when closing the slide gently on them the slide refuses to close the last inch or so, which disables using the trigger and subsequent practice. Am I doing something wrong?

Please stop loading ammunition into your gun manually like this. Especially if it's a 1911 unless you want a new extractor, the round has to be fed from the bottom of the extractor into the hooks. The hooks will not feed any other way without damage. Please strip your gun and check your extractor for damage, especially if it's a defense gun. It's better safe then sorry to make sure that the gun will still extract rounds reliably.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

I've always tried to figure out why some people would want to load a round directly into the chamber on a semi-auto rather than from the magazine.
    What's the purpose?
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Its a "Bubba Load". People do it because its cool...

Don't worry about things jamming in your gun too much. Thats how you learn new things....

Austin

Try these:
    They are solid aluminum with a brass primer. I use these a LOT! They are great for practicing fail-to-fire drills. The 'primer' is mounted on a spring so it will not damage the firing pin & they feed just like regular ball ammo.

These are made by Traditions (same company that does black power stuff).
    Those are the same snap caps I use in my guns. I like them. They hold up better than the plastic ones, but they are more expensive though.

Jason

You wonder why? Haven't you ever seen the movie Deja Vu with Denzel Washington. He has to load a bullet directly into the tube after taking out a mag to show the bad guy its unloaded. Everyone knows that might happen in real life!

Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post
    I've always tried to figure out why some people would want to load a round directly into the chamber on a semi-auto rather than from the magazine.
    What's the purpose?
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

What's the purpose?
    The reason I tried to load it directly into the chamber was that I didn't know that snap caps could be fed from the magazine. Since the caps are slightly different and weigh less, I automatically assumed that they might jam when feeding.
    If you look at most of the packaging of snap caps, they do NOT mention anything about loading from a magazine.

What's the purpose?
    I do it (and I'm sure others do as well) to prevent bullet setback. It works just fine with all of my Glocks but it doesn't work with my Kahr at all. Some extractors are made to pick the rounds differently so it won't work in all guns.

In my Kahr the round is actually fed up behind the extractor and it doesn't move much so it's impossible. My Glocks will all push out and over the rim of the cartridge.

My HP's get pretty banged up in the Kahr so I just rotate the top round out after a couple loadings. With the Glock, the top HP look good as new because they never see the ramp.

I guess I could do it because it's cool, but I do it in front of no one so that defeats most of the coolness factor.
    If Guns cause Crime, then Pencils cause Misspelled words.....

NE CCW
    Nebraska Concealed Carry

Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Links