.357 sig vs. .357 magnum

This is a discussion on .357 sig vs. .357 magnum within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Austin; I like the looks of those great, honkin' bullet weights in the loads you're showing in your .357 Magnum sampling....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: .357 sig vs. .357 magnum

Austin;

I like the looks of those great, honkin' bullet weights in the loads you're showing in your .357 Magnum sampling.

2. Remove Ads

I loaded up some 360 WFNGCs for my .45 LC Blackhawk....should do about 1000 fps. I need to get out and chrono them... I like big heavy ones. Heavy is reliable :)

Austin

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Zaria View Post
    ...There are, obviously, more powerful auto cartridges available, like the 10mm, 10mm Glock, etc...
    Am I missing something, or is there no such thing as "10mm Glock?" To the best of my knowledge, the only round that Glock has its name on is the .45GAP... But, hey, I've been wrong before.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I've got one,... I like it. The ammunition is cost prohibitive although redily available, even at Wally World. Is it better or worse than anything else? I doubt it. Ya gotta hit 'em to make 'em hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Am I missing something, or is there no such thing as "10mm Glock?" To the best of my knowledge, the only round that Glock has its name on is the .45GAP... But, hey, I've been wrong before.
    That's actually what I meant. Sorry, I had a drink or two before I was surfing the forums that evening.... I meant .45 GAP. I don't know why I thought 10mm. Does Glock even make a 10mm?

I agree, the .357 SIG may match the .357 Mag's "knockdown power" in the 125gr load, but the .357 Mag has a lot more capability and versatility. Although the .357 SIG looks like a great autoloader cartridge, the ammo price/rarity is a big turn-off for me. I'd be looking at .40SW and .45ACP instead, but that's just me.
    Good thread, sorry for the typo.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    i am not an authority on this (or anything else, actually), but to me the big advantages of the 357 mag are (1) you can plink with 38 specials, which can be had very cheaply, and (2) the revolver has the simplest manual of arms, should worse come to worst.
    the 357 sig is itself a tribute to the 357 mag- it seeks to duplicate that greatest of all defensive handgun rounds.
    i believe the bullets heavier than 158 in 357 mag are primarily intended for hunting, but i am not sure i would shoot deer with a 357 handgun.
    God Bless
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

VIP Member
    Thanks, Pete! And yes, Glock makes handguns in 10mm, (the G20 and G29 - though a sub-compact 10mm seems like a serious handful to me!)

The USSS uses .357SIG (in the 125gr load) out of their P228/229s. It is loud, bright, and has noticably more "oomph" than the .40S&W (and, of course, 9mm) out of the same platform. It's still manageable, IMO, but I don't think the costs (both monetary and physical) justify it in most platforms. Maybe, if the price ever comes down, or out of a "full sized" handgun, (or both!) it would be a more attractive choice.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I am a huge fan of the .357sig, but I'm not going to claim the sig and mag are comparable.

They are about equal (power wise) with 125gr rounds in a 3-4" barrel. The mag can be pushed further with more powerful loadings in the 150-158gr range.

The 125gr loading is somewhere around 500 ft-lbs energy. More than a .40 or .45, and about equal with a .45+P.

Personal preferences aside, I think we'd all agree that 500ft-lbs is sufficient for 2-legged, PD type of situation.

If you shop based on maximum muzzle energy, mag takes the cake. The sig however offers capacity. From 8rds in a small pistol to 15 in a full size.

I realize that carry choices are personal, and that sig and mag are both good performers, but with 15rds of 357sig I do not believe you should feel undergunned.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links