Ammo storage

This is a discussion on Ammo storage within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok i have a large gun safe but it is filling very fast what is the best way or cabinet etc to store ammo in ...

Thread: Ammo storage

Ammo storage

Ok i have a large gun safe but it is filling very fast what is the best way or cabinet etc to store ammo in what does everyone else do i have 6 different calibers and stocking quite a pile of each. i would really like to have a small room dedicate to my guns and stuff then ammo could be on shelves organized etc etc. if i had a room in my attic that i made but it didnt have any heat and it may get down to freezing or just below most likely not below freezing as i will insulate it and it will get some heat loss. could i store ammo and accesorys in there or should ammo be kept at room temp?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Ammunition is stable, and prefers to be kept cool and dry. I'd venture that unless the temperature is extreme, the "dry" is more important than the "cool", i.e. no attic storage in august in Arizona!

VIP Member
    I have an old stack-on metal gun cabinet (lockable) that I built shelves into. Store my spare ammo in it. I use a seperate shelf for each caliber. Since I already had the cabinet it cost me under $50.00 to convert it (1 sheet 3/4" plywood, L brackets and bolts).You can usually pick them up new for around $100.00 for the 8 gun models, higher for more guns (space), or watch yard sales, I have seen a few at them.

Administrator
    I made a closet for such things under my basement stairs. It has plenty of strong sturdy shelving, a solid core steel door with deadbolt. I do have a dehumidifer down there, but I think its uneeded for the ammo in my case.
    "Just blame Sixto"

thanks all for the replys i will continue on with my new attic room i will close it in and insulate it well so it should be very stable and i would imagine being right over a heated space it will stay above freezing anyhow. i had thought of the stackon gun cabinet and still may do that route in my new attic room will see.

A sturdy shelf like a "gorilla rack" and milsurp ammo cans. Toss a pack of dessicant into the can if you're worried. Multiple containers allows you to easily organize and label your ammo. It's also easier to transport (getting into or out of the attic room) and simple to just grab the "9mm" ammo can when you're going plinking with a 9mm.

Ammo cans and lots of 'em. I never throw away a desi-pak that comes with anything. I also have a couple old refrigerators--one I use the top freezer part for my reloading powders and bullets. It is outside the shed under a roof, and locked. I imagine the bottom part could be used to stack some of my ammo cans in. Right now they sit on the concrete floor of the workshop/shed (insulated) on eight layers of plastic sheathing and plywood. I have alot of work to do in the shop.

I had the local pharmacy save those little gel packs for me, and I put one package into each box of ammo. That should help keep it dry.

I like the refrigerator idea. I never thought of that.

Links