+P Recoil??

+P Recoil??

This is a discussion on +P Recoil?? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It seems that a big selling point of the 9mm is the low recoil. However, it seems most people load +P or +P+ in their ...

Thread: +P Recoil??

+P Recoil??

It seems that a big selling point of the 9mm is the low recoil.
    However, it seems most people load +P or +P+ in their carry guns.
    Do these loads develop more recoil vs standard 9mm loads?
    Does the recoil begin to compare to 40S&W recoil?

If +P ammo approaches 40cal recoil, then why not just carry a 40 cal pistol?
    Please let me know if I'm all wet on this.

I currently carry a 45cal handgun.
    I also own an all steel 40cal and am familiar with the 40cal recoil, but have zero experience shooting any +P 9mm ammo.

Thanks
    Charlie - 40FIVER

Why I carry:
    "The heart is deceitul above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
    Jeremiah 17:9

Yes there is more recoil. How sensitive you are to it is another question.
    As far as +P there are regulations on the pressure the round can be loaded to. I can tell that it's loaded a little stouter, but it's not significant. Then again I can't usually tell a whole lot of difference between a .40 and a 9mm, depending on the gun.
    On +P+ no regulations exist and one brand's +P+ might be loaded more potent or less potent than another brand's, so some might approach .40 recoil, and some might not be loaded much more hot than +P.

Hope that helps and wasn't too confusing.

Jason

Assistant Administrator
    Have to say - with my 226 ST which is large and heavy - I hardly notice a huge difference. I practice with std pressure and carry +P (9mm) ... occasionally practicing with those.

It is all down to weight/cal combo IMO .... and so if in light polymer gun then probably a bit of extra ''snap'' but controllability would not I feel be much prejudiced, particularly if the gun fits well.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I had my brother load a mag with some standard pressure 9mm SD rounds, and some +P's just for S&G's at the range. I couldn't tell enough difference to figure out which was which. I think percieved recoil has more to do with the gun than the ammo. I prefer the "Push" from a 1911 .45, to the "Snap" of a polymer framed compact 9mm, when shooting at the range. As far as a SD situation goes I 've never belived recoil plays that great of a factor (flame suit on).

i would shoot a 9mm +p over a 40 any day. not to mention if i carried 40 it would probably also be +p.
    i actually just shot up my defensive ammo at the range last time i was there, and now that im much better with my gun than the last time i shot some, i must say, the +p really doesnt slow me down much.
    not to mention recoil is not the reason i got a 9

IMO recoil is a pretty subjective thing. That being said, 9mm +P will recoil more than standard pressure 9mm - no doubt about it. How it compares to other calibers is for you to decide.

To me bullet weight makes a big difference in recoil. Lighter bullets are snappier, and heavier bullet have more of a push or "thump" feel to them.

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_G View Post
    Yes there is more recoil. How sensitive you are to it is another question.
    And how your specific firearm handles it. That matters more than most folks allow.

Heavier, longer, better balanced, lower bore axis in relation to the hand's position. These are strong contributing factors. Combined with sufficient and varied training, it can make all the difference.

Two pistols, in particular, have to me always felt perfectly capable of handling and taming recoil. My Browning BDM 9mm and my CZ P01. These two, more than most others I have ever shot, can take the stoutest 9mm loads I have found and handle them with ease. Yes, there's more blast, more recoil, a heavier push. But in these two pistols, it's manageable. To the degree that I'm very nearly as accurate and quick to manage follow-on shots and targets through long, complicated courses of fire. My carry ammo is the DoubleTap 9mm JHP 124gr +P. Works great with these two guns.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    i would shoot a 9mm +p over a 40 any day. not to mention if i carried 40 it would probably also be +p.
    i actually just shot up my defensive ammo at the range last time i was there, and now that im much better with my gun than the last time i shot some, i must say, the +p really doesnt slow me down much.
    not to mention recoil is not the reason i got a 9
    .40 is already high pressure. Correct me if I am wrong, as I often am, but I don't think you will find .40 that is +P rated. At least I've never seen any.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakdaddy View Post
    .40 is already high pressure. Correct me if I am wrong, as I often am, but I don't think you will find .40 that is +P rated. At least I've never seen any.
    Technically there is no such thing as +P in .40S&W, but Corbon did produce some ammo in the past with +P headstamps.

I carry Winchester Ranger 127gr +P+ in my Glock 19 and yes it is substantially snappier than a standard pressure round. I like the extra power it provides, but I will probably end up switching to Winchester Ranger or Federal HST in 147gr in the future. I'm thinking I would prefer the added control the standard pressure rounds will provide me.
    www.RKBAholsters.com

Check it out for quality reasonably priced leather and kydex Pocket, IWB and OWB Holsters......

JPP
    It's NOT that much different....... hand loaders (such as me) will tell you that it is maybe 0.2 grains of powder difference. Just MHO

JP
    Sig P239
    Sig P238
    Glock 17
    Glock 36
    S&W 60
    WHAT ELSE COULD YOU ASK FOR?

Links