Is there such a thing as light shooting 12G loads?

This is a discussion on Is there such a thing as light shooting 12G loads? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Why not look at a 20G? A 20G will fit the kids and wife better. Shofter to shoot. You can hunt with them as well ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there such a thing as light shooting 12G loads?

Why not look at a 20G?

A 20G will fit the kids and wife better. Shofter to shoot.

You can hunt with them as well if you want to. Squirrel, rabbit, deer(with slugs).

It will also make a good HD gun.

You can get the mossberg combo's (HD barrel/longer field barrel) for cheap.

Most of the big box sporting good stores sells them for about what your looking to spend.

2. Remove Ads

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    rocky hit it. AA loads are lighter. You can get them in different pellet sizes.

The trick to getting the wife and kids shotgunning is to have them shoot at moving targets. First time my wife shot a 20ga at a stationary target, she was done with shotguns. Took her to the skeet range and put her on station 7 shooting straight away out of the low house. She shot 12ga without noticing the recoil.

I teach shotgun courses and the women usually don't want to shoot a 12ga because of its reputation. I put my wife on station 7 and have her break a couple clays. My wife is 5' 4" size 4 (notice I don't put her weight in there...) After that the ladies will shoot the 12 ga and the first question after they break a bird is, "Wasn't that fun?" followed closely by, "How was the recoil?". The answers so far are "YEAH!" and "What recoil".

Rest assured that a pump gun is going to give you the most felt recoil along with a bolt shotgun. Over/Unders and then semi-autos depending on a lot of factors reduce felt recoil in shotguns. I'd get the 12 ga versus the .410. More pellets so better chance of breaking a bird, which is what is fun right?

Scott pretty much nailed it on the head. As a fellow heart surgeon once said a .410 is a gun you give to somebody to go win money in VEGAS. .410 is by NO means a beginner gun for clays. Squirrels if they ain't moving okay. Anything moving through the air is very hard on a beginner shooting a .410.

Once you get into the AA Light target loads #9-7.5 your recoil in a 20 vs 12gauge actually is slight less in the 12 due to the slightly heavier weight of the 12 gauge gun (possible not true if your shooting a featherweight). Indivuals with less upper body strength, usually have shorter arms, find it harder to hold a 12 gauge up let alone holding it to the shoulder due to the long stock. However, the recoil on the shooter is a little less then a 20 with the light target loads. Probably the best bet for someone who is short, and needs a more manageable gun weight is a 20 gauge auto-loader which action will soak up some of the recoil and take it off the shooter.

Rember the idea is to break targets. 12 gauge #9 has IIRC 950 pellets vs a 20 Gauge has about 630 est.... Therefore your chances of hit are a little better.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    Are these AA loads the same as "light recoil" for LE loads I have heard mentioned several times?

No not even close.

Maybe its just the alumn mossy's i'm shooting with LE "Light recoil" loads but if shoot the LE loads then shoot the AA's its very noticible differnce.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Glad to have all the info. I gotta say though, that I'm thinking of aquiring the .410. You gotta understand that my wife and kids are rather waifish (not so much the 10 y/o boy, he's just young). They can't even hold my marlin .22 properly. I think the only of these guns they can even lift to wield would be that .410. There probably won't be a lot of shooting it. Other than the boy, my family doesn't share my great enthusiasm for shooting. I might buy both so I have the 12G too, whether I can afford it or not. But I just don't see them holding it without the "it's too heavy" drama, let alone shooting it.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Administrator

You can buy a case of soft-shooting VINTAGER Shotshells by Polywad.
    Quantity 250 is about $100.
    They are made for older 12s.
    Very low recoil and low pressure.
    Would be great for Home Defense for a body that is recoil sensitive as they are extremely soft shooting.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

A .410 is the best thing you can do for that 10-year-old. Won't scare him off, and it'll make him a great shot. When I was a kid in Nebraska, we'd have high-dollar guys from Chicago with all the newest Cabela's gear, and usually I'd end up filling their bag with my old Mossberg bolt-action .410. Used shotguns are cheap, and I'd recommend moving up the ladder from the little guy through the 20 gauge to the full power 12's. Personally for home defense, I want the hardest hitting round I can find.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    The AA trap loads are pretty good for an off the shelf light recoil load for shooting clays. To get any better you probably have to go to handloads. When I used to shoot trap all the time, I knew several ladies who were into the sport. Many of them were tuffer than me.

While the Mossy is one of the venerable all aroud shotguns out there, another one to maybe consider is the Benelli Super Nova for about double the money brand new. They have a recoil absorbing system built into the stock, and it does make a difference. I duck/goose hunt with one and regularly shoot 3 1/2" shells out of it and I have less recoil pain and bruising after a long day than I did with a Remington 870 shooting 2 3/4" shells.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Get 'em both. If your son can hit clays with the .410, once you move him up to the bigger shotguns he'll give you a run for your money.

For defense purposes, both Federal and Winchester make "low recoil" buckshot loads. Available thru Midway and other sources: Buckshot

In bird shot, look at these: Lead Shot

If you've not discovered already, shells for the .410 are gonna be considerably more pricey than for a 12 or even 20 gauge.
    www.dentoncountysports.com
    A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links