Is there such a thing as light shooting 12G loads?

This is a discussion on Is there such a thing as light shooting 12G loads? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you can't tell, I know darn little about shotgunning. My only experience is my single shot .22/.410 surivial rifle. A buddy of mine said ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there such a thing as light shooting 12G loads?

Is there such a thing as light shooting 12G loads?

If you can't tell, I know darn little about shotgunning. My only experience is my single shot .22/.410 surivial rifle. A buddy of mine said he has a mossberg 500 he'll let me have for $200, so I'm all over it. The question is, are there lighter recoil loads available so my wife and maybe kids could shoot it? I also have a chance to get a .410 pump for cheep, maybe I should get that instead? I can only afford one right now.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    There are light shooting loads, usually marked "target, AA" and uses #8 shot typically, however your wife and kids may still find the recoil too much for comfort.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    rocky hit it. AA loads are lighter. You can get them in different pellet sizes.

The trick to getting the wife and kids shotgunning is to have them shoot at moving targets. First time my wife shot a 20ga at a stationary target, she was done with shotguns. Took her to the skeet range and put her on station 7 shooting straight away out of the low house. She shot 12ga without noticing the recoil.

I teach shotgun courses and the women usually don't want to shoot a 12ga because of its reputation. I put my wife on station 7 and have her break a couple clays. My wife is 5' 4" size 4 (notice I don't put her weight in there...) After that the ladies will shoot the 12 ga and the first question after they break a bird is, "Wasn't that fun?" followed closely by, "How was the recoil?". The answers so far are "YEAH!" and "What recoil".

Rest assured that a pump gun is going to give you the most felt recoil along with a bolt shotgun. Over/Unders and then semi-autos depending on a lot of factors reduce felt recoil in shotguns. I'd get the 12 ga versus the .410. More pellets so better chance of breaking a bird, which is what is fun right?
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

+1 Scott. When my little sister was 12 she shot a 12 gauge at some trap with light loads and got 20/25 her first time. Never complained about the recoil, and it was her first time shooting. It can be done.

Austin

For HD/SD, there's not much in low recoil. But for fun at the range, AAs are lowER. Handloads can be just plain soft, esp if you go to 3/4oz

High brass will kick lots more than low brass (and most ranges around here dont permit high brass). Lower weight of the shot will also reduce recoil a whole lot.

VIP Member
    3dram 1oz loads, sometimes 7/8oz loads are avail.

$200 is about average for a used Mossy 500 - not a great deal, not a bad one either. I'd look around a little first before you fork over two Benjie's for it.

On loads... I'm not a real big guy at 6'0 / 160 lbs with a 34" waist (give or take a pizza). With a full stock, I have no problem controlling any 2 3/4" 12g load I've put through my mossy 500 - .00 buck, 1oz slugs, etc... It just takes a good grip and stance, etc... Not trying to sound tough here, but I think most people are either "recoil sensitive" because they're *expecting* it to hurt, or their grip/stance/technique isn't correct. Maybe I'm wrong.
    Pistol grips are another story - high-brass shells out of a pistol grip shotty hurt one's wrists! But I keep my pistol gripped Stevens 67 loaded with .00 buck anyway... I figure in an adrenaline-rush situation I won't be noticing the pain in my wrists.

The recoil from most "target loads" is nearly negligible. After a few boxes you may notice it a bit, but you're not going to be aching the next day.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

I can't remember who makes them, but there are reduced recoil HD loads on the market. I used to have some.

My HD shotgun is loaded with Winchest Ranger Reduced Recoil 00 Buck. So at least Winchester makes them...I'm sure others do as well.

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    My HD shotgun is loaded with Winchest Ranger Reduced Recoil 00 Buck. So at least Winchester makes them...I'm sure others do as well.

Austin
    For HD I use winlite loads (both 00 buck and slugs are made).

I think Fiochi makes a really super light recoil bird shot... seem to recall they were light purple in color but not much else. They were negligible in recoil.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Are these AA loads the same as "light recoil" for LE loads I have heard mentioned several times?

I also use the Winchester "reduced recoil" 00 shells in my HD shotgun. I also have some Remington "reduced recoil" slugs. They work very well! It is the only way that I can get my wife to shoot a shotgun. She won't shoot a 20 guage, but she likes to shoot my 12 guage with the reduced recoil loads. I ordered mine through either Cheaper Than Dirt or Sportsman's Guide (I forget which).
    "To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace" George Washington

Winchester makes a 12 guage load called "feather lite" the marking is FL8AA and they have a yellow feather on the box.

A lot of the "Cowboys" shooter are using them because of the light recoil. about 50% less recoil then the normal field loads.

Wal mart, Bass pro, Sportman Warehouse carry these shells most of the time.

Thanks all for the tips. Still undecided on which gun to buy. Tempted to strecth things and buy both.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

While it depends on the purpose of the gun, I would say buy mossberg. a 12 gauge is a lot more useful than a .410

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links