40 caliber versus 45 caliber for home defense?

This is a discussion on 40 caliber versus 45 caliber for home defense? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Are these two ammo's really about the same in neturalizing a BG? Will either one neturalize faster then the other? I know that eventually all ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 40 caliber versus 45 caliber for home defense?

40 caliber versus 45 caliber for home defense?

Are these two ammo's really about the same in neturalizing a BG?
    Will either one neturalize faster then the other?
    I know that eventually all calibers will have the BG bleed out (besides a 12 gauge shot-gun) but that takes a few minutes while the BG could be doing some serious damage to you!
    This ammo would be used for home defense!

6 months ago my wife and I called the Police Dept. on 2 intruders trying to enter our home-so I am very aware of how crazy parts of society are getting!
    Does anyone have any street knowledge on what caliber ammo works the best?

Many thank-You's for your thoughts!

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Both will do the job as well as a handgun round can be expected, provided you do your part and place the bullets in a vital area. Bottom line caliber matters less than placement. Most experts advocate 9mm or bigger for defense.
    Personally I use a .223/ caliber rifle for higher capacity , more accuracy.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

JEC
    Sounds like there were no ill affects from the attempted break in, and for that I am glad.
    I have no first hand experience with .40 caliber performance/ballistics so I can't comment.
    I have seen the effects of the .45ACP though. For that reason I've accepted it as my choice of a personal defense round.

Jack
    Last edited by JEC; January 7th, 2008 at 05:47 PM. Reason: typo

I tend to think of this as driving a nail in a piece of wood and how many times you are willing to strike it in order to set it. Your selected tools are 12oz framing hammer, or 16oz framing hammer. Which do you think you'll have to swing less times?

ckd
    In order of priority: 1) what both of you shoot best (hits count), 2) magazine capacity.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-O-Matic View Post
    Are these two ammo's really about the same in neturalizing a BG?
    Will either one neturalize faster then the other?
    Does anyone have any street knowledge on what caliber ammo works the best?
    There are probably no definitive answers to your questions. My opinion is that either works well. I have both in my defensive arsenal. The VT shooter was very effective with "only" 9mm. One school of thought says that all pistol cartridges are equally weak compared to rifle cartridges.

The link below alleges to answer your third question. Scroll down this loooong page for details on many different brands, sizes, and 1-stop ratings for most pistol cartridges.

http://www.internetarmory.com/handgunammo.htm

WHatever one you can shoot accurately

Its a personal choice. It seems to me that a bigger caliber heavier bullet should be able to do more damage. That's just the way it seems to me though...I'm no scientist.

Austin

Just in the short time I've been a member here I've seen several threads almost identical to this... 357 Sig vs 40, 40 vs 45, 9mm vs 40, the list goes on...

I think .40 SW or .45 ACP are both fine choices if you select good SD ammo, and PRACTICE! Shot placement > bullet size.

Do you really think a BG gives a rat's bum if you're hitting him with a 230gr at 900fps or a or a 180gr at 1050fps? Nope.
    If you use proven self defense ammo, and your shot placement is decent, I doubt anyone but a coroner will be able to tell the difference

My input: Use whichever you can control better. Since you should be practicing a lot, you might also consider going with whichever one is more economical.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    For home defense I would say neither.

12 Gauge pump.

You should still have a .40 or a .45 which ever one you choose, but thats to fight your way back to the shotgun you should have never put down in the first place.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Both will do the job as well as a handgun round can be expected, provided you do your part and place the bullets in a vital area. Bottom line caliber matters less than placement. Most experts advocate 9mm or bigger for defense.
    Personally I use a .223/ caliber rifle for higher capacity , more accuracy.
    I also agree with ROCKY.....

LOTS AND LOTS OF CHANCES TO WIN!!!!! I have a M4orgery nearby in the room Ready2go. When your staking your life on it. I'm sorry I don't fight fair nor do I care about PC.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I have both calbers. I shoot the .45 (1911) better than I do the .40. I prefer the Magtech Guardian Gold, 185 gr +P JHP for my 1911. It goes fast - 1148 fps and puts out an amazing 540 # muzzle energy. My prefered load for my .40 is also Magtech Guardian Gold 155 gr JHP. This yields a whopping 500# muzzle energy. Both calibers expand very well. Compare these specs to other brands and I think you will be surprised.

#1: Make sure your gun shoots your chosen ammo WITHOUT ISSUES! This will take several trips to the range with several different boxes of various ammo.
    #2: Be able to accurately shoot whichever one you choose
    #3: PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Like so many have said before, it's simply a personal choice. Both calibers will preform the duty of home defense. Personally i choose the .45.

What do you shoot best? If it's for home defense, then size does not matter. So if I look at a full size SIG P220 with a magazine capacity of 8+1 rounds, compared to a full size SIG P226 with a magazine capacity in .40S&W of 12+1 rounds.

With no pressure and in an ideal situation you should be able to stop anyone with one or two shoots with either a .45 or .40. Under stress you will probably miss a couple of shoots or possibly not hit center mass. How many will it take to take the BG down?

Personally, I like the idea of having a few extra shoots even if I don't use them without having to reload.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

bigger is always better, I say .45... but mostly I would go with a 12ga. I can only imagine the blast on a target 10 foot away. Imagining this is mighty impressive, imagine the wound channel.
    Honor, Courage, Virtue. These are what makes a man.
    "The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps."
    Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links