Bullet Test Tube

This is a discussion on Bullet Test Tube within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anyone tried or used this test kit? I just ran across this bullet test kit. It looks like it is by far the most ...

Thread: Bullet test Tube

Bullet test Tube

Has anyone tried or used this test kit?
    I just ran across this bullet test kit. It looks like it is by far the most comprehensive ballistics testing set up for general lay use I have ever seen. It appears to give you more relevant information about a bullet's effectiveness than the gelatin test in a much easier system to use.
    It will give you depth of penetration, volume & shape of wound cavity, bullet expansion, fragmentation weight & shape
    The link to the site is The Bullet test Tube
    The best explanation of how it works is its instructions page instructions
    I'd be interested if anyone has tried this system. I am thinking about getting it and putting together a web page with the results.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Definitely tempting. They appear to be out of stock on just about everything though.

Is is not like gelatin which is an acceptable human tissue simulant.

Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    Definitely tempting. They appear to be out of stock on just about everything though.
    Looks like a bit over $100 to get the basics plus ammo and whatever is needed to replace what is lost in each test. Figure it would only be worth doing if I did a website and covered most commonly used SD ammo. So probably triple that figure at least. Is why I am wondering if anyone has used it and what their take was on it. If it meets its claims I am up to the task but would hate to waste my money.

Quote Originally Posted by Whyveear View Post
    Is is not like gelatin which is an acceptable human tissue simulant.
    Their claim is that this is formulated to simulate tissue. My guess is that gelatin can not be the only substance that can simulate tissue. My hope is that this stuff is what they claim. Though even if it does not replicate tissue exactly it would still be a basis for seeing, more detailed ballistic results than gelatin can offer.

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    It's a wax that is more dense than 10% gelatin. This is useful, because it takes less material to contain the round. There are conversions that allow you to extrapolate flesh penetration from the results of the tube and compare them to gelatin.

Just looked on brownells and they have them in stock. The handgun test tube is only $28 and the standard one is $85. I think they contain the same material, the only difference is the diameter of the tubes.
    The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference-they deserve a place of honor with all that is good. -George Washington

VIP Member
    That looks really cool. It's just amazing it's taken this long to come up with something so basically simple!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    That looks really cool. It's just amazing it's taken this long to come up with something so basically simple!
    It's great. Only a trivial amount of the wax is lost each time, and all you need to buy are new cardboard tubes and caps to pour the melted wax back into. I recall either American Handgunner or Guns magazine did a review of the product pretty recently, like in the last 18 months or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post
    It's a wax that is more dense than 10% gelatin. This is useful, because it takes less material to contain the round. There are conversions that allow you to extrapolate flesh penetration from the results of the tube and compare them to gelatin.
    You're right. I stand corrected. Have you used the stuff at all? Seems even without the ability to do a direct correlation between this material and human tissue it would still be a good way to determine bullet performance, and help us decide on what the most effective ammo is for self defence. Did not see the cheaper handgun test tube before.

It's great. Only a trivial amount of the wax is lost each time, and all you need to buy are new cardboard tubes and caps to pour the melted wax back into. I recall either American Handgunner or Guns magazine did a review of the product pretty recently, like in the last 18 months or so.
    +1 on this.

The units have been around for a few years now. I didn't realize it was wax. I had thought I had read that it was some type of rubber compound, but regardless penetration is not the same as gelatin and needs to be "interpreted".

I am not sure why they haven't taken off and become more popular, since they can be used at average temperatures where gelatin cannot. Maybe it has to do with pricing. I would love to do a few tests, but I can see how it could get expensive quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56_Spartan View Post
    Maybe it has to do with pricing. I would love to do a few tests, but I can see how it could get expensive quickly.
    Ballistic Technology

It's cheaper in the long run. =)

Ballistic Technology

It's cheaper in the long run. =)
    Was told about this other product on another board a bit more expensive Simtest But this IS made to simulate tissue. Can not do the same kinds of measurements as the Bullet test Tube. Thinking using both might be a worthwhile. The Simtest to get an accurate view of potential wound in tissue and Bullet test Tube to do measurable bullet comparisons. Both are reusable
    Last edited by LongRider; January 11th, 2008 at 04:29 AM.

Links