Personal Defense Ammo Recommendations

This is a discussion on Personal Defense Ammo Recommendations within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm a little new to owning a handgun. I've shot several handguns and now own 2 Xds a 9mm compact an a .45. currently I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Personal Defense Ammo Recommendations

Question Personal Defense Ammo Recommendations

I'm a little new to owning a handgun. I've shot several handguns and now own 2 Xds a 9mm compact an a .45. currently I carry hornady and I bought a pack of magsafe for the .45. I f anyone has any personal recommendations as to good or bad ammo do tell.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    I think the conses is any modern "big name" manufacturer is suitable ammo for personal protection, it boils down to what works best for you, Feeds in YOUR gun, has recoil you can manage, and shoots to point of aim.

If you don't hit the target in a good place, it doesn't make a hill of beans what you are sending his way.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Shot placement is key. A modern hollowpoint design is a good idea. There are hollowpoints with "old" technology - Gold Dot, Hydrashock - that still do quite well. There are newer designs - HST, SXT, DPX - that do quite well also. FMJ is fine if its the only thing that your gun can shoot reliably and you can shoot accurately. JMO

Austin

You might want to check this column out.

http://www.neiassociates.org/caliber.htm

Thanks for the intel . I read that article and it was pretty helpful. This forum is informative all the conversations I've had with people until now was pretty worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    You might want to check this column out.

http://www.neiassociates.org/caliber.htm

The article was a very nice read. Thanks for posting.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Federal HST and Winchester Ranger T-Series. They're both marketed to LEO, and even say "Law Enforcement Ammunition" on the box. They're designed very well and tested extensively for penetration, expansion and core jacket separation. Winchester and Federal try to keep them out of civilian hands, but they are legal for us to own and you can find them online and in a few local stores. The prices are usually pretty good on them. You can get HST or T-Series for about $18-$27(depending on caliber)/ box of 50 plus shipping. I've paid almost that much for a box of 20 hollow points at a gun shop. Basically, if they're good enough for LEO to rely on, they're good enough for us.

That said, almost any hollow point will do the trick.

Different

The Hornady XTP type bullet is not known as a dynamic performer. Designed to limit how much it expands in favor of deep penetration. The Mag Safe would be the opposite, designed to fragment early and break apart. If I absolutely needed Mag Safe for some reason, like I lived in an apartment with paper walls or had to CCW around lots of bystanders or a nuclear reactor or something that would be one thing.

As for me, I prefer expansion over deep penetration and probably favor a more balanced design. Plenty of people have a different opinion than I do and a good argument as to why, this is just what works for me. I Normally carry a 9mm Glock or H&K, or a 1911 .45. Right now my Glock has 124gr Gold Saber in it with 124gr Gold Dot in the spare magazine. My H&K has 124gr Hydra Shok in it, Gold Dot in the spare mag. My 1911 has 230gr Hydra Shok in it, 230 Gold Dot in the spare. I like the bonded Gold Dot for spares in case I have to shoot through something after the time has come to reload. Just what works for me.

The federal Hydrashock is the only hollow point round I have found to be completely reliable in every pistol I have stuffed it into. It even worked pretty good in an old WWII era non throated 1911 (no failures at all!). With that said I now carry winchester ranger as I have found a reliable source that sells it and it works great in my current guns as well.
    To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.

George Mason

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4my son View Post
    I think the conses is any modern "big name" manufacturer is suitable ammo for personal protection, it boils down to what works best for you, Feeds in YOUR gun, has recoil you can manage, and shoots to point of aim.

If you don't hit the target in a good place, it doesn't make a hill of beans what you are sending his way.
    That's it in a nutshell.

I have recently switched to Ranger T series and Federal HST 's in all my duty and off duty guns. I did have hydroshoks but recently have read quite a bit of info showing it to be "old "technology compared to some of the newer designs. That being said, I still have hydrashoks loaded in a few mags.

VIP Member
    Also look at the test results for CorBon DPX!

Another good round is Hornady TAP.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Nice find on the article. Thanks for the link. Another bookmark for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Protect_All View Post
    Thanks for the intel . I read that article and it was pretty helpful. This forum is informative all the conversations I've had with people until now was pretty worthless.
    Thanks

The column I referred to is taking information from police shootings over the past 10 years and it confirmed what I learned at work back in the 90s; that Federal hydroshoks where the best on the market.

Back in the 90s I worked for the Feds as an analysis, and I can tell you that all the Federal agents sidearms where loaded with Federal hydroshoks, and thats what they gave me to load in my Glock 19.

While I still have Federal hydroshoks in my Glock 19, the next time, I go to the range, Ill go ahead and fire them and replace them with the newer technology Winchester Ranger Ts.

I like penetration and feel that expansion is gravy but then I'm an old geezer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links