Pro's and Con's of owning a 10mm? - Page 2

Pro's and Con's of owning a 10mm?

This is a discussion on Pro's and Con's of owning a 10mm? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I really like everything about 10mm. Recoil is manageable. Excellent ballistics. Ammunition can be expensive and it is difficult to find hot factory loads for ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 34

Thread: Pro's and Con's of owning a 10mm?

  1. #16
    Member Array gglockster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    150
    I really like everything about 10mm. Recoil is manageable. Excellent ballistics. Ammunition can be expensive and it is difficult to find hot factory loads for defense. A previous poster to this thread referenced the case of Harold Fish
    convicted of 2nd degree murder for defending himself with a 10mm.

  2. #17
    Senior Member Array joleary223's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,057
    Wow! thanks for all the good info and honest opinions. I don't think I would carry this gun but there is a chance so the Harold Fish case does worry me a little.
    I honestly didn't know 10mm was so powerful, the ballistics are very impressive, makes me wonder why more LEO don't use it.
    I'm a big fan of the 1911 platform to begin with but I'm not stuck in a rut, any platforms to avoid in 10mm?
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

    FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

  3. #18
    VIP Member Array OPFOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Nomad
    Posts
    4,712
    I think the primary reason that more cops don't use it is because many cops can't 'handle' it. If you only ever shot at yearly or semi-annual qualifications, you might be intimidated by full power 10mm loads, too. Plus, the round is long-ish, and requires a pretty big gun to be at all comfortable. Folks with very small hands may find a double-stack 10mm a bit much for them.

    Of course, the FBI loved the round - until they started actually issuing them. Then all the complaints started coming in, and the power was reduced...Then some genius figured, "Hey, we're no using all this case space anyway, let's do away with it!" and voila, the .40S&W is born.

    In light loadings, you really do only have a longer .40S&W - but in the hotter loadings the 10mm is much more potent.

    From what I understand, the Glock 10mms are, well, Glocks. They work, they're reasonable accurate, they hold a bunch of rounds. Other than those, some 1911 platforms, and some S&W platforms, there aren't too many options out there (Sig, XD, M&P, etc. don't offer a 10mm version).
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

  4. #19
    Senior Member Array joleary223's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,057
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I think the primary reason that more cops don't use it is because many cops can't 'handle' it. If you only ever shot at yearly or semi-annual qualifications, you might be intimidated by full power 10mm loads, too. Plus, the round is long-ish, and requires a pretty big gun to be at all comfortable. Folks with very small hands may find a double-stack 10mm a bit much for them.

    Of course, the FBI loved the round - until they started actually issuing them. Then all the complaints started coming in, and the power was reduced...Then some genius figured, "Hey, we're no using all this case space anyway, let's do away with it!" and voila, the .40S&W is born.

    In light loadings, you really do only have a longer .40S&W - but in the hotter loadings the 10mm is much more potent.

    From what I understand, the Glock 10mms are, well, Glocks. They work, they're reasonable accurate, they hold a bunch of rounds. Other than those, some 1911 platforms, and some S&W platforms, there aren't too many options out there (Sig, XD, M&P, etc. don't offer a 10mm version).
    Cool, so if you reload and know what your doing you have the room to customize you loads from tame to tiger without blowing your hand off. Am I right?
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

    FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

  5. #20
    VIP Member Array OPFOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Nomad
    Posts
    4,712
    That about sums it up. Those links I posted earlier are some fairly hot "factory" loads, but there's still more power available to hand loaders.

    BTW, I'm no expert on the 10mm - I've shot it a few times, and have read a lot about it (I've always liked the idea of it), but there are certainly more knowledgeable folks out there. Be sure to let us know if and when you get one - I'd like to see a good range report!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

  6. #21
    Senior Member Array joleary223's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,057
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Be sure to let us know if and when you get one - I'd like to see a good range report!
    Will do, but with a 5 month old and a wife, don't hold your breath.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

    FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

  7. #22
    Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Out side of Richmond, VA
    Posts
    1,637
    Not many people are a fan of it, you do have the option of the .400 corbon, (.45 shell casing knecked down to a .40/10mm bullet) It's a drop in barrel for a lot of .45's and you use the same mags. I bought one for my Glock 21. It's a great conversion and puts the same .40/10mm bullet down range pretty darn fast,

    Here is the chart off of sportsman's guide

    76764 .400 Cor-Bon 135 JHP 1,450 630 20
    76765 .400 Cor-Bon 150 JHP 1,350 607 20
    76766 .400 Cor-Bon 160 FMJ 1,100 543 20
    76767 .400 Cor-Bon 165 JHP 1,300 619 20
    76768 10MM 135 JHP 1,400 588 20
    76769 10MM 150 JHP 1,325 585 20
    76775 10MM 165 JHP 1,250 573 20

    These are factory stats from Cor-bon.

    A side note, Be very careful if you reload them, I blew up my G-21 shooting an overcharged reload, i guess you can make that mistake with any caliber. Factory loads are fun to shoot, a little snappier than the .45's. I have run quite a few reloads through it too. another plus, you can make .400 brass out of certain .45 brass. No, it was not a .45 brass that blew up my gun, in the end, if you reload, you can use all readily available components which would keep your cost down, but then you can practice with regular .45 el-cheapo factor ammo too.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

  8. #23
    Member Array sourmash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Tax Office, AR
    Posts
    80
    I have a glock M20 with nite sights. It's the gun I take backpacking, with two extra mag's, it gives me forty-five rds. In the glock pistol I get a package that is light enough to pack all day and I sleep well at nite knowing it's with me. I also handload and I feel that may be the greatest feature of the 10mm. I find it more easy to shoot well than my S&W Mod.36.
    What you think you know.... Can kill you!

  9. #24
    Ex Member Array F350's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Rocky Mountain High in Colorado
    Posts
    1,706
    One other reason for the commercial down loading...try finding a Bren 10 that does not have a crack in the frame at the take down pin/recoil stop. Steel frame guns don't stand up to the recoil very well.

    I have had a Glock 20 since they first came out, with full power (and then some) loads you can feel the frame flex in your hands. I have shot tens of thousands of rounds through mine, and when I took it back to Smyrna to be rebuilt the tech said it showed wear but every major part was still in spec. I have rather large hands and the G20 fits me just fine but many of my buddies say they can’t get a good grip on it.

    With Blazer ammo it isn’t much more to handle than a .45, the full power loads from Double Tap, well you know you touched something off, but not as bad as a S&W 500.

    When traveling I often keep the G20 in a door pocket in my truck loaded with full power FMJ for shall we say “thick skinned game” on the road.

  10. #25
    VIP Member Array SatCong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    3,666

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    One other reason for the commercial down loading...try finding a Bren 10 that does not have a crack in the frame at the take down pin/recoil stop. Steel frame guns don't stand up to the recoil very well.

    I have had a Glock 20 since they first came out, with full power (and then some) loads you can feel the frame flex in your hands. I have shot tens of thousands of rounds through mine, and when I took it back to Smyrna to be rebuilt the tech said it showed wear but every major part was still in spec. I have rather large hands and the G20 fits me just fine but many of my buddies say they can’t get a good grip on it.

    With Blazer ammo it isn’t much more to handle than a .45, the full power loads from Double Tap, well you know you touched something off, but not as bad as a S&W 500.

    When traveling I often keep the G20 in a door pocket in my truck loaded with full power FMJ for shall we say “thick skinned game” on the road.
    My colt 10mm with steel frame and over 80,000 rounds done the tube is doing very well. I'am on my second barrel, and i have a few other people that know have tens STEEL frames with no troubles.

  11. #26
    VIP Member Array obxned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    OBX, NC
    Posts
    2,655
    If I was just half as rich as I am good lookn', I'd buy one! And then I'd get a barrel for a .357/10mm cartridge.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

  12. #27
    New Member Array Yankee Lawman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1
    I have carried the Glock model 20 as my CCW. I am using Mike McNett's "Double Tap" ammo, the 165 grain Golden Sabre rendition. Yes, it is loaded to 10-mm spc's. I like it for several reasons. It is mid-way between the 135 and 180 grain offerings. I consider the 10-mm to be more akin to a full-house 357 than the 41-mag.
    I believe there are enough police agencies that HAVE used the 10 to be "defensible", if such a case arises.
    That being said, I also shoot in IDPA, and a local police trainer (also an LEO) and his agency use the Glock 20 as their duty pistol. They are very satisfied with it. The 10 offers some advantages over the Glock model 21, 45 ACP, which I also use. The 357 SIG has nothing over it in OVERALL versatility.
    The Fisch (?) case, not withstanding, it is a very competent pistol and round to carry.

  13. #28
    Ex Member Array F350's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Rocky Mountain High in Colorado
    Posts
    1,706
    SatCong-
    My colt 10mm with steel frame and over 80,000 rounds done the tube is doing very well. I'am on my second barrel, and i have a few other people that know have tens STEEL frames with no troubles.
    AHHHHHHH yes Grasshopper, but are you shooting rounds loaded to the original Norma 10mm specs (essentually .41 mag) or the off the shelf Blazer stuff that is only a tad hotter than a .40 Short & Weak???????? As I said short of the Double Tap stuff about everything else has been down loaded to protect your steel framed gun.

  14. #29
    Member Array exit42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Grapevine, TX
    Posts
    200
    I've got a G29 and carry and shoot Double Tap 155gr gold dot. You can find 10mm target ammo at Bass Pro, Cabellas, and any gun show for a reasonable price. Just lay in a good supply and carry several full mags and a box of 50 in your go bag.
    ...one jagged hole!

  15. #30
    Member Array exit42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Grapevine, TX
    Posts
    200
    ...I would be interested in the new Dan Wesson 1911s in 10mm.
    ...one jagged hole!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. WTS: .45 and 10mm Brass & .40/10mm bullets (AR)
    By saltysquid in forum Member Buy, Sell & Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: September 19th, 2009, 01:27 PM
  2. Question about owning a handgun in TX
    By Mikey in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: November 10th, 2008, 07:01 PM
  3. Owning a gun
    By elrey718 in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: December 22nd, 2007, 10:13 AM
  4. Can Doctors keep you from owning?
    By HollowpointHank in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: July 13th, 2007, 09:03 PM

Search tags for this page

10 mm pros and cons
,
10mm ammo pros and cons
,

10mm pros and cons

,
10mm pros cons
,
megastar 10mm
,

megastar 10mm for sale

,

pros and cons of 10mm

,
pros and cons of 10mm ammo
,
star megastar 10mm
,

star megastar 10mm for sale

,
star megastar 10mm rare for sale
,
ted nugent 10mm ammo
Click on a term to search for related topics.