Pro's and Con's of owning a 10mm?

This is a discussion on Pro's and Con's of owning a 10mm? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think I'm getting the 10mm bug but I don't know much about the round or what weapon I will chose. I would like to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pro's and Con's of owning a 10mm?

Pro's and Con's of owning a 10mm?

I think I'm getting the 10mm bug but I don't know much about the round or what weapon I will chose. I would like to hear from some of you 10mm guys about the round and some of the better platforms for it. Is 10mm hard to get? How is the recoil compared to .40 or .45? ect...
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Pros: It's hoot to shoot, it's ballistically at the limit of what many of us can shoot well, there a lot of loadings to shoot out of it (from fairly mild to waaay wild), and it's kind of different.

Cons: ammo can be expensive and hard to find if you rely on gunshops/wallyworlds for factory ammo.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Pros: Bigger boom than anything smaller, Debated about 10mm vs. .45 acp. Many rounds comparable to a .357 magnum. Some rounds are bordering .44 and .45. You can hunt with it. Ted Nugent owns a 10mm.

Cons: Ammo is a little harder to find and may be very expensive. I have found 10mm for less than .45. Not many platforms available in 10mm (I keep dreaming of a Sig 220 in 10mm, that would be hot.)
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

I like the concept of the 10mm - the ballistics seem to make good sense.
    But personally, I wouldn't buy a gun chambered for any hard-to-find caliber unless I was going to use it for hunting or long distance target use.
    I like being able to find ammo anywhere, and most sporting goods stores don't carry specialty calibers.

I'd stick to .45. +P loads in .45 should put off just as much power...

Just my opinion.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Just an F.Y.I., a guy was convicted of killing someone, he claimed of course was in self-defense when he used a 10MM. The jury thought the round was excessive. I find that to be complete BS myself and there may have been other factors to the case, but it happened. I also at the time thought that his lawyer did a poor job of not refuting that claim. Beyond that ammo is harder to find and more expensive than a .45 in general. Since I am carrying for self-defense I always consider if I am out in some little town somewhere and go into the local hardware store what calibers can I expect to find? .22, 9MM,
    38 or .357 mag., .45 in handgun I bet would be readily available. Maybe others too but I doubt 10MM would.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

im sure tubby45 will have plenty to tell ya.
    i dont have one, but i have shot his and loved it.
    its a nice round and from what i know, very very effective.

I really like my 10 mm

I usually shoot Winchester Silvertip or Corbon.
    Sometimes I get cheaper stuff for the range.

I haven't looked out of my area. Near home there are several places I can buy ammo.

I was surprised at all the "hard to find" comments.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Zaria View Post
    I'd stick to .45. +P loads in .45 should put off just as much power...
    Well, not so much. The Cor-Bon DPX .45+P round generates around 443 ft/lbs from a 5" bbl, at chamber pressures of 25,000psi - very close to the max SAAMI loadings. There are .45+P loads that can break 500 ft lbs, but nothing I've found can get to 550.

The 10mm, on the other hand can be loaded to more than 800 ft/lbs, and there are commercial loadings that exceed 750 ft/lbs.

We all know that muzzle energy isn't everything, but it is something, and when you have a round that's .05 inches smaller packing half again as much energy, that is simply no where near "just as much power."
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Well, not so much. The Cor-Bon DPX .45+P round generates around 443 ft/lbs from a 5" bbl, at chamber pressures of 25,000psi - very close to the max SAAMI loadings. There are .45+P loads that can break 500 ft lbs, but nothing I've found can get to 550.

The 10mm, on the other hand can be loaded to more than 800 ft/lbs, and there are commercial loadings that exceed 750 ft/lbs.

We all know that muzzle energy isn't everything, but it is something, and when you have a round that's .05 inches smaller packing half again as much energy, that is simply no where near "just as much power."
    My apologies, I retract my statement, you're right.

I had just looked up some "hot-ish" 10mm loads on a reloading website I like, and compared against some 45 +p loads I know of. I didn't see any 10mm loads above about 600 ft/lb on that page, but maybe those weren't very hot loads after all. Would you mind posting a link or two?

If 10mm becomes a common enough caliber to find it at local sporting goods / hardware stores, I'd seriously consider it. I've only shot them a couple of times, but the recoil seems controllable (reminds me a bit of .357 Mag loads, which I can handle OK). So hell, 800 ft/lb of power in an autoloader? No objections here. If i can find ammo easily.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

10mm

I own and sometimes carry a S&W 610. Pros, It's not something you see every day. Call it neatness factor. Great power, but still controlable. A true do-everything cartridge. Great defensive ammo available from Double Tap.

Cons, you can't buy bulk practice ammo cheap at Wal Mart. You should be a handloader to shoot 10mm as much as you want. If you want full power 10mm ammo you have to look carefully. Not all 10mm is created equal. If you want FBI spec medium power 10mm, look into this strange cartridge called the .40 S&W.

Cons for my 10mm, moon clips are a bit of a pain. I set up some for range use only and cut them away a bit to make loading and unloading easier. Spares are best carried in a dedicated speedloader type pouch, but two clips fit in the space of one N frame speedloader.

cons hard to find and you must reload to really take advantage of it
    limited style of bullets

Pros.. Powerful if you load close to the original Norma loads they run towards 41 magnum loads

Run's very well in a 1911 and most other guns

Big Boom

VIP Member
    http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...products_id=45

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...roducts_id=105

http://www.buffalobore.com/ammunition/default.htm#10mm

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...products_id=35

It does seem that most "name brand" commercial loadings are kept below 700 ft lbs (though that's certainly nothing to sneeze at), but there are loads out there that exceed 700 by a good margin. If you want 800, you're going to have to search around, or load your own (and work on your wrist muscles!).

The price you pay for this power is, of course, recoil, large gun, reduced capacity (compared to some, more capacity compared to others), and did I mention recoil? Even the milder SD loads are noticeably more harsh than any standard pressure .40 or .45 rounds...but if you can shoot it accurately and quickly under stress, then it really can't be touched in an autoloading pistol (DE excepted, of course, but that's a horse of a different color...)

Now, finding it cheaply and easily is another matter, as is practice ammo if you don't roll your own...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member
    S&W 610 about like a full house .357 for recoil with 10mm ammo.
    A little more snappy than a .45acp with .40s&w.
    I have not had trouble finding ammo.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Your knees get sore from hunting for every last piece of brass, everyone I know that has a gun in it, loves it. If you reload it gives you huge option in ammo, from nice and easy to hard hitting. I will get a 10mm one day myself.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    I've got the Delta Elite in 10mm. Absolutely love it. Mine has been ported and that does help recoil recovery. I like the 1911 platform and the 1911 45 holsters will work for it. I don't carry it alot yet but the more I shoot it the better I like it.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links