GAP vs ACP

GAP vs ACP

This is a discussion on GAP vs ACP within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've never fired the GAP .45 round. My Glock is a .45 ACP. The newer Glocks (37, 38, 39) are all .45 GAP. What is ...

Thread: GAP vs ACP

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

GAP vs ACP

I've never fired the GAP .45 round. My Glock is a .45 ACP. The newer Glocks (37, 38, 39) are all .45 GAP. What is the difference? I know the GAP is a miniaturized version of the ACP. Performance and self defence wise is there a difference?

The .45 GAP is suppose to be the full equivalent to the .45 ACP as far as I know from reading about it. Only my opinion but it'll "dry on the vine" waiting for me to buy it. It's reason for being is to be able to put .45 ACP performance in the smallest possible "package". I'm uninterested in a tiny .45 automatic pistol, prefering the full sized 1911 as I do. Some concealed carry handguns are simply too small for their chamberings. They're cleverly designed and a breeze to carry but I will be toting something more manageable with a decently sized grip frame and some weight to it.

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    I've never fired the GAP .45 round. My Glock is a .45 ACP. The newer Glocks (37, 38, 39) are all .45 GAP. What is the difference? I know the GAP is a miniaturized version of the ACP. Performance and self defence wise is there a difference?
    In short. No
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    While the gap is in theory the ballistic same as the acp for the price of it you should really get 10mm performance lol . Given that the over the counter cost of the guns are the same you can in short order save enough to buy another pistol by going .40 or .357 sig , much less the savings by going 9mm . To each their own and my own is that the .45 gap is an answer in search of a question, but then i am not in marketing .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

It's not quite the same. The GAP has higher pressures and can only be loaded so hot because of the shorter case. Last time I checked ACP self defense loads were a little more stout than the GAP. In standard pressure rounds, they were more similar. That being said, obviously either one will do the job. Just MHO, the tiny bit of difference in pistol size that the GAP facilitates isn't worth the extra hassle. YMMV.

I doubt the GAP will exist in 10 years.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

The idea was to make a smaller grip circumference for the Glock pistols...then they came out with the 21SF. I'd much rather have a 21 SF than a 3? in GAP. Talk about hard to find ammo, expensive, and just silly IMO

Austin

VIP Member
    Hard to find and more expensive. Also, fewer handgun choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    I doubt the GAP will exist in 10 years.

I agree!

it will exist as long as Glock makes pistols in that calibre. it will probably become a bit harder to find on shelves in the future.

Senior Moderator
    I think the Gap will go the way of the .41AE.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason_G View Post
    Just MHO, the tiny bit of difference in pistol size that the GAP facilitates isn't worth the extra hassle. YMMV.
    Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    The idea was to make a smaller grip circumference for the Glock pistols...then they came out with the 21SF. I'd much rather have a 21 SF than a 3? in GAP. Talk about hard to find ammo, expensive, and just silly IMO
    Quote Originally Posted by jualdeaux View Post
    it will exist as long as Glock makes pistols in that calibre. it will probably become a bit harder to find on shelves in the future.

That's about it, I would guess.

Sponsored Links