Very dumb question about testing ammo

This is a discussion on Very dumb question about testing ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thank for the help everyone. I suspected it was something like that but sure looked strange to me....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Very dumb question about testing ammo

Thank for the help everyone. I suspected it was something like that but sure looked strange to me.

2. Remove Ads

We tried the same tests, but used gallon water jugs instead of ballistics gel. 127gr+P+ sxt out of a G26 did not expand at all thru wallboard, double thick with 3 inches of airspace, or plywood with the same parameters. Our test were not exactly scientific but pretty damn close for a couple of rednecks. Also the T-series .45 230 gr. standard pressure out of a G30 lookrd great in water jugs, but an old jeans pants leg wrapped around the first water jug stopped all expansion and it continued thu 7 jugs when we finally caught it. Either the Glock barrels are too short to allow proper expansion or Winchester is full of crap!

What I meant to say is obxned is 100% right. Shooting thru anything before the test medium basically turns the bullet into an fmj. Where the hell does Winchester get their pretty pictures of expansion through wallboard and such?

Quote Originally Posted by GNSLNGR View Post
    What I meant to say is obxned is 100% right. Shooting thru anything before the test medium basically turns the bullet into an fmj. Where the hell does Winchester get their pretty pictures of expansion through wallboard and such?
    If it was a private test, I suspect if you fire enough rounds, you are bound to get a good one.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by mtnfreak View Post
    I may have to call and ask how shooting through denim, wallboard, etc. can result in greater penetration than just shooting into the gelatin.
    If i were a guessing man I'd say that it is because the bullet gets deformed when it hits a solid barrier and doesn't expend as well as it would if hit the gelatin first. I have also read reports that sometimes denim will clog the hollow point and make the bullet act like ball.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links