+P ammo in my Kel-Tec PF9?

This is a discussion on +P ammo in my Kel-Tec PF9? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My question is this: Can I safely use +P ammo in my Kel-Tec PF9? How much hotter is 9mm +P ammo than standard 9mm. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My question is this: Can I safely use +P ammo in my Kel-Tec PF9?
    How much hotter is 9mm +P ammo than standard 9mm. I know there is a big difference in 38 spcl. and 38spcl.+P and I've been advised to not use +P in my older S&W model 10. Is there a special rating on 9mm+P firearms. I do not see a +P rating on my KT. Thanks in advance for any help.
    The most and best is known to the man who quits his bed before sunrise... who spends his days on the mountains and forests...who bears the heat and cold and hunger and thirst, for the love of nature...to visit the utmost refuges of beast and bird .....Alfred Pease

The answer to your question is at the top of page three of your operator's manual.

Regards- conwic

Thanks, I didn't get an owners manual with this one but I should have thought about getting it from the website.
    The most and best is known to the man who quits his bed before sunrise... who spends his days on the mountains and forests...who bears the heat and cold and hunger and thirst, for the love of nature...to visit the utmost refuges of beast and bird .....Alfred Pease

The operator's manual wil tell you that limited use of +P ammunition is warrented by the factory.

If you didn't get a manual, did you get the other itmes that are shipped with the pistol- the extended baseplate for the magazine or the small wrench you use to adjust your rear sight and to tighten the ejector? If not, you really should contact Kel Tec at 1-800-515-9983 cause you will need that wrench eventually.

Regards-conwic

+1 on the owner's manual.

Only my opinion but the P3AT fires from a locked breach so it would APPEAR to have ample strength for any reasonable .380 ammunition.

I laid in a quantity of the Santa Barbara surplus ammunition when it was generally available and inexpensive. It chronographs well over 1000 fps from my P3AT's short barrel. It also recoils quite smartly and flips the cases many yards behind the shooter. It's not labled +P but certainly has all the attributes. I like to carry the P3AT with it as I like the FMJ with the flat (slightly concave) nose. I want no part of fancy expanding .380 bullets, feeling that adquate penetration must be assured with a cartridge such as the .380 ACP. The P3AT shoots the zippy load very well. In fact it didn't "straighten up and fly right" and become reliable with all types of ammo until after it'd digested several of the 25-round boxes of the Santa Barbara stuff.

The P3AT isn't a gun I like much at all but it replaces a Colt Model 1908 as a BUG for me.

I'm not up on +P 9mm ammunition but there's simply not much difference in standard .38 Special loads and most factory +P. The +P .38 Special is a "tempest in a teapot" in my view. Don't know when your S&W Model 10 was manufactured but if it is stamped with its model number on the inside of the frame where the yoke meets then it'll shoot more +P than you're willing to tolerate, either from a recoil or cost standpoint. The S&W factory says that revolvers made after they began assigning model numbers in 1957 are suitable for use with +P. I've used +P in an assortment of S&W Military & Police .38 Specials that are older than that with no problems. A S&W factory catalogue from immediatly before World War II flatly states that the M&P is suited for use with the .38-44 load. This loading was hotter than any subsequent +P ammunition made. It's likely that the +P position taken by S&W is liability related.

It appears that +P will gen up about 100 fps more than similar standard loadings, a small but worthwhile gain for self-defense purposes. I've toted Winchester +P 158 grain SWC-HP for many years, the "FBI Load". I have a 2-inch M&P that's older than 1957 that I like to carry on occasion and that shoots this load well and accurately. THe S&W K-Frame is a wonderful revolver for use with +P, soaking up recoil and generally shooting the heavier bullet versions to point of aim.

It's been 10 years since I chronographed any of the Winchester 158 grain +P loads but they clocked 920-something out of the 2-inch gun and 990-something out of a 4-inch Model 10. Don't have my notes at my office. I hear that Remington 158 grain +P is a better bet these days. Bought a box but haven't shot any yet. This Buffalo Bore .38 Special ammunition is an eye-opener, both their standard "snubbie" load and their +P load. Their 158 grain +P load performance figures hark back to .38-44 velocities and looks quite warm. They claim that pressures are not excessive. Generally there is no free ride and I can't see how pressures aren't a bit elevated. At any rate Buffalo Bore appears to offer a selection of .38 Special loads that are a distinct step up in performance. I'm hoping to try some soon.

For the record, I wouldn't feel ill-armed with a good .38 Special revolver filled with standard velocity 158 grain SWC's. Even in a snubbie.

No sense abusing an early, collectible .38 Special revolver with +P (though I have when I was young and dumb) but for a usin' gun it's just not a big deal. Well, maybe the Buffalo Bore is a big deal.

Been shooting +p in oldest PF9(have 2) for over a year with no problem. Have chronographed and wet pack tested a number of standard and +p 9mm. Like Gold Dot 124+p best (averages 1126fps, is acurate and dead on at 10-15 yds. Rem GS124 +p averaged 1083, Black Hills 124+p -1121fps, Corbon DPX -1170, Rem 115 jhp standard -1050 and WWB 115- standard -1100fps. Expansion and penetration was better to me with the Gold Dot and DPX. Oldest PF9 doesn't feed DPX as well as new one. I can't tell much difference in recoil between +p and standard WWB. Hogue slip on grip helps a lot.

Sorry. The old brain saw Kel Tec and immediately went to P3AT. Still I'd be willing to shoot +P in the PF9. Have shot and examined others' PF9's recently and they're pretty good for the size and price.

the factory states you can shoot some. so you should not have any problems shooting several mags to get the feel. then i would carry +p in the gun.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by STORMVET View Post
    My question is this: Can I safely use +P ammo in my Kel-Tec PF9?
    How much hotter is 9mm +P ammo than standard 9mm. I know there is a big difference in 38 spcl. and 38spcl.+P and I've been advised to not use +P in my older S&W model 10. Is there a special rating on 9mm+P firearms. I do not see a +P rating on my KT. Thanks in advance for any help.

I hope your question was answered, but can I ask why? Here's some ballistics on the 147gr vs the 124gr +P ammo. I'm switching to the "heavier" bullet going slower to save wear and tear on my body and my pistol while not giving up any punch on the BG... Check this out, the top row is the 147gr, slow ammo:

Maybe just me but 147s kick harder to me than 124+ps in newest PF9. Oldest one doesn't like them for reliability. Haven't chronographed or wet pack tested any 147s. Have to check them out and see what they do out of 3.1" barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by forestranger View Post
    Maybe just me but 147s kick harder to me than 124+ps in newest PF9. Oldest one doesn't like them for reliability. Haven't chronographed or wet pack tested any 147s. Have to check them out and see what they do out of 3.1" barrel.
    If you get a chance, that would be cool! I'd love to see the chrono numbers out of the PF9. I know the numbers out of a short PPS barrel were in spec and I felt the recoil was less with the straight 147gr bullet, standard load pressure...

Will try to round up a few brands of 147 and see out they do. Will let u know. Got to warm up some first!

VIP Member
    I wouldn't

Quote Originally Posted by forestranger View Post
    Will try to round up a few brands of 147 and see out they do. Will let u know. Got to warm up some first!
    Thank you!

I'm looking at using either the Winchester Ranger T, Federal HST or Speer Gold Dot 147gr loads. IMHO, a good place to get those is Ammunition To Go!

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Shot a couple rounds of +p through my p11 the double stack version of the PF9, ended up with a cut thumb and gave the rest of my box away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links