357 SIG verses 40 S&W - Page 2

357 SIG verses 40 S&W

This is a discussion on 357 SIG verses 40 S&W within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I resent .357 SIG because whenever I ask for .357 Magnum they hand me this instead. For that reason alone I wish it did not ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 357 SIG verses 40 S&W

I resent .357 SIG because whenever I ask for .357 Magnum they hand me this instead. For that reason alone I wish it did not exist. Stop confusing the ill informed gun store clerks of the world.

And stop confusing me. Any time I see .357 I have no idea what caliber it is for sure any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    I resent .357 SIG because whenever I ask for .357 Magnum they hand me this instead. For that reason alone I wish it did not exist. Stop confusing the ill informed gun store clerks of the world.

And stop confusing me. Any time I see .357 I have no idea what caliber it is for sure any more.
    Yes i had is problem to i made sure to get snippy with the dim bulb walmart dude and ask him Can you read does it say 357 Magnum on that box... Well no. Well give me what i wanted.

Course he 45 gap takes off itll be the same thing ive heard people complaine about it all ready

JT [OP]
    I'm use to it at Wal-Mart. No matter what I ask for I have to point them to the right spot. "No, the second row...all the way over to the right...no, the next one...yes, that's it.."
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

JT [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom357
    I, too, was worried about over-penetration, but I think the key is the advancement of bullet design since the 125gr .357 Mag was king. Modern designs like the Gold Dot and Ranger expand very reliably. If they don't, then you are going to get over-penetration, just as you would with any hot ball ammo. Over-penetration is a problem with +P+ .45 ACP that fails to expand, too. If the bullet is performing to spec, though, most premium JHP ammo is designed to penetrate the magic 12"-16". I think one reason you see less choice in 357 SIG ammo, is that the .357 performance envelope is very narrow. The 115gr bullet tends to break up. The 147gr bullet sometimes fails to expand. The 125gr seems to be just right. I think over-penetration, if it is a problem, is more likely to be a problem with the 147gr designs. I'm not aware of a single report of over-penetration from VSP or RPD since they started using the 357 SIG in the 90's, and I'm pretty sure they are shooting 125gr.
    Good points. I agree the 125 gr is the only way to go. It makes the smaller selection available not an important factor.

I remember when I bought my first box of Cor-Bon 357 SIG. Very impressive seeing that "Velocity 1425fps Energy 564 ft/lbs" on the side.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Had an opertunity to shoot a hundred or so rounds of .357 SIG out of a 2340 several years ago. If I wasn't so completely satisfied with the .45ACP would take a close look at that for CCW. I think that the .357 SIG is an excellent round for self defense. With proper bullet design,speed means less penetration-more energy dump.(given the same caliber) That's what makes the .357 Mag such a great stopper.This is what appeals to me about the SIG.------------

Either will work fine IF you hit where your opponent lives......if you miss you are as well off with a cap gun!!
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    I've never fired a .357Sig. The concept is good, but I doubt that I'll ever own one. I have several .40s, but I much prefer 9mm.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Senior Moderator
    Ive got one of each...the 40 and the .357 Sig.

The .40 is a P239.
    The .357 Sig is a 226.

I think they are both great rounds. What matters most is barrel length.
    The 40 is a 3.5 inch barrel and the .357 is a 5 inch. Thats a big difference in performance.

However...I like them both. The .357 will lift your hat and it does get attention at the range. The .40 seems to be a bit milder.

I rekon if I had to shoot anyone with either one, they would hurt..

Suprisingly enough, I found a 357 Sig barrel made exclusivly for the Glock 29 10MM. I wonder how different those two calibers would be.

Senior Moderator
    I have had several .40 and .357 sig handguns, Sig and Glocks. I don't recall either being problematic other than the horrific muzzle blast of the 357 sig.

I guess my thinking is that a .357 sig is a hot 9mm with recoil more comparable to the larger .40 cal. Since both use a .40 cal case there is no capacity advantage to the smaller bullet so I believe I'd rather go with the .40 - it makes a bigger hole. I suppose flatness of trajectory is a worthy consideration, but that would only be significant at long ranges.

I'm convinced that the Glock KBs are real, but they may not be as common as we may have been led to believe. Plus, I have doubts that the KBs are the result of unsupported chambers. I've seen comparison pictures of Glock and other brands of gun barrels with a round in them. I thought it was hard to tell which ones were supported and which ones were not. Many think the KB may be the result of Glocks being able to fire "out of battery" - that would really lead to an unsupported chamber.

I have reduced my stock of both .40 and .357 sig in favor of 9mm and .45 ACP. For fun, anything goes; for winning a gunfight - practice, practice, practice, hit, hit, hit - and I can do that better with 9mm than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean

I think the conceit of putting the SIG name on a cartridge is silly, but seeing how the .40 S&W took off, I can see why they wanted to get their name out there.

The idea of getting .357 Mag revolver performance - 125gr bullet at 1350-1450fps out of a 4.6" barrel - out of a semi-auto was a good one, and by every measure they achieved it. I wish they had just called it what it is - 9mm Magnum.

The confusion is made worse when competitors don't want to mention the SIG name, so drop it from the description.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    ...I'm convinced that the Glock KBs are real, but they may not be as common as we may have been led to believe. Plus, I have doubts that the KBs are the result of unsupported chambers. I've seen comparison pictures of Glock and other brands of gun barrels with a round in them. I thought it was hard to tell which ones were supported and which ones were not. Many think the KB may be the result of Glocks being able to fire "out of battery" - that would really lead to an unsupported chamber...
    There was a website that had some really good photos of failed .40 cases from Glock KB's, that clearly show the blowout occurring just above the rim of the case, in the 6 o'clock position, matching the unsupported spot in the Glock chamber design. I haven't found the website, again, but if I do, I will post the link. The "out of battery" firing theory is an interesting one, too.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

TAlking about the gun zone with all the cool glock blow ups on it?

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom357
    There was a website that had some really good photos of failed .40 cases from Glock KB's, that clearly show the blowout occurring just above the rim of the case, in the 6 o'clock position, matching the unsupported spot in the Glock chamber design. I haven't found the website, again, but if I do, I will post the link. The "out of battery" firing theory is an interesting one, too.
    Yep, I know - been there done that. And, I think it was the Ammolab forum, that the owner, Mr. Defabio said, "Friends don't let friends shoot .40 Glocks." That may be true, but the most prevalent gun in LEO is probably the .40 caliber Glock 22. Just kinda makes you wonder.

JT [OP]
    The level of support in a chamber contributes, but I have no fear of my Glock in 40. Most of the problems are due to bad hand loads, squibs, or some other ammo or user error.

There is also a myth going around that Glocks have an unsupported chamber, and other handguns have a “fully supported chamber”. No chamber is “fully supported”. There has to be some degree of “non support” for the round to feed from the feed ramp.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links