357 SIG verses 40 S&W

This is a discussion on 357 SIG verses 40 S&W within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by JT The level of support in a chamber contributes, but I have no fear of my Glock in 40. Most of the ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 357 SIG verses 40 S&W

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JT
    The level of support in a chamber contributes, but I have no fear of my Glock in 40. Most of the problems are due to bad hand loads, squibs, or some other ammo or user error.
    Granted that has been a contributing factor, but there have been a lot of documented KBs with reputable ammo manufacturers and shooters. And it is puzzling that Glock stands out way beyond any other manufacturer in KBs. H&Ks have the same rifling as Glock and while H&Ks may have KBs, it seems to be nothing like Glocks.

However, it is often claimed that Glocks have more because there are so many more Glocks "out there". Maybe there are, but that doesn't seem to fully account for the KB issue.

Quote Originally Posted by JT
    There is also a myth going around that Glocks have an unsupported chamber, and other handguns have a “fully supported chamber”. No chamber is “fully supported”. There has to be some degree of “non support” for the round to feed from the feed ramp.
    Bingo!

2. Remove Ads

JT [OP]
    Part of it is there are so many Glocks out there. The thing is stats are not kept per manufacture, and certainly not as a percentage of guns manufactured, so we just don’t know.

BTW – I got my Glock 23 about 10 years ago. Recently I bought another Glock factory 40 barrel. The new barrel has a tighter chamber than the old one. It seems Glock learned over time that they could use a tighter chamber and still have reliable feeding.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Senior Moderator
    JT,
    I think the "no stats" is part of the problem too.

I wouldn't hesitate to trust a Glock .40 - G22, G23, or G27. I know of a number of Gunsite trainers that swear by Glock even though Gunsite recommends the 1911 in .45ACP as "the" gun.

Sorry ill still pass on the 40 all together espically in a glock

JT [OP]
    But aren’t you part of the 45 cult?

BTW – say hello to my dad at the next meeting. He’s a card carrying member.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Guess you could say i am i own more of them than any thing else got 2 of them little 9mm's

JT [OP]
    That's what I thought. Somebody call Security. The 45 cult was not to be allowed in this thread. Soon they will be looking down their noses at us, and making disparaging remarks.

oo wait forgot got as many 38 and 357's as i do 45's I all ready said the 357 sig was a good caliber and i liked it while i had it just dont care for the 40 runs to high or a pressure with no margin of error pressure wise .

JT [OP]
    I know, I’ve just been waiting for someone to make fun of the “small calibers”. Just joking around.

my 38 is better than your puny 40 .. ahh but i digress and run off topic

JT [OP]
    Your 38 could be better than my 40, if it would bother to make proper use of all that space. It should have twice the power for all the room it takes up.

Assistant Administrator
    Haha - yes the under-utilized 38!

I developed a load with that case using 8.5 Blue Dot - behind a 158 cast SWC - not of course up to a mag load but - ''stiff''!!

I forget chrono figures but I'd guess this was a +P++ load, which made a good compromize. Pressures were not excessive and recoil of course was just sharp as againt typical mag type kick.

WARNING: It is Extremely Important for your personal safety - The safety of the people around you and the structural integrity of your firearm to work up to all hand~loads slowly...and to carefully check your reloading manuals to find out what loads are safe for the cartridge case - the cartridge case & bullet weight combination and your particular firearm. Always use high quality Protective Eyewear when testing any hand~loads.
    Do Not just assume that any hand load will be safe in your firearm because you read it on any web source.
    Last edited by QKShooter; August 23rd, 2005 at 08:18 AM.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    From what I have seen of the 357 Sig round, it is essentially a 9mm+P or a 38 Super. If you put more modern bullet designs in the 38 Super and headspaced it off the case mouth for accuracy, it would be the same as the other two rounds, except a little longer, and the same number of rounds as a 9mm pistol (more than a 357 Sig). The 9mm+P gives the same performance, and will give you the same number of rounds as a 38 Super (more than a 357 Sig). All three are really loud.

At least the 40 gives you a marginally larger hole in the target.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    I shudder to think the effect of firing from a contained space like inside a vehicle.
    I do my periodic, about once every year or two indoor firing practice with whatever caliber I'm carrying. My ears have held up ok, as I only do a few rounds at a time.

.357 Sig indoors is more pleasant than the .357 magnum. It's kinder than the .223. It's louder than the .45 ACP but the punch comes in two stages.

*Disclaimer*: Don't fire indoors without hearing protection without knowing what you're doing. Don't do it often. Don't do it early. Have your hearing checked regularly.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Senior Moderator
    Isn't the actual limitation of the .38 spcl. the fact that older guns that could chamber it could not hold the higher pressures possible with the full potential of the .38 spcl.?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links