357 SIG verses 40 S&W

This is a discussion on 357 SIG verses 40 S&W within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Tangle Isn't the actual limitation of the .38 spcl. the fact that older guns that could chamber it could not hold the ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 357 SIG verses 40 S&W

JT [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    Isn't the actual limitation of the .38 spcl. the fact that older guns that could chamber it could not hold the higher pressures possible with the full potential of the .38 spcl.?
    That was my understanding.

I'm also guessing that nobody makes strong enough brass, so even when fired in a modern gun that could handle it (and/or a 357 magnum) that the brass you can buy may not be up to the task. Of course, that thinking may be off. In an auto the brass has to be designed to handle a particular pressure since there is always some area of the chamber that is unsupported to enable proper feeding. A revolver has full support in the cylinder, so I believe the strength of the brass is less of an issue than in an auto. But Iím sure it still needs to be considered.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Thx QK for adding that disclaimer to my load mention - I forgot! I do usually state that any load of mine is not a recommendation and not to be treated as such.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Guys
    Some interesting reading from a site I came across this morning regarding 357Sig vs 40 S&W. I was looking for comparisons between the 357 Sig and 10 MM.. but the site says a lot. Worth reading though

http://www.handguninfo.com/Archive/w...57.compare.htm

Another site as well:

http://www.handguninfo.com/Archive/www.Pete-357.com/

Last edited by CLASS3NH; August 24th, 2005 at 08:41 AM.

JT [OP]
    That is a really good article. I was reading that a couple of days ago and meant to post it here. I found this part very interesting...

He has tested several thousand rounds of the usual 9, 40, 45, etc. When he tested the 357 Sig Winchester Ranger and Remington Golden Saber ammo, it did something only the 10mm Silvertip has been able to do. Both of these rounds cracked the top plate that holds the gelatin blocks in place during testing. Itís obvious that these 357 Sig rounds dump more energy into 12 Ė 14 inches of gelatin than most other rounds he has tested.

When he reinforced the top plates, the same two 357 Sig rounds mentioned above then cracked the lower plate. The best 9mm loads, such as the Ranger 127gr +P+ barely created a ripple in the gelatin in comparison.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH
    Guys
    Some interesting reading from a site I came across this morning regarding 357Sig vs 40 S&W. I was looking for comparisons between the 357 Sig and 10 MM.. but the site says a lot. Worth reading though

http://www.handguninfo.com/Archive/w...57.compare.htm

Another site as well:

http://www.handguninfo.com/Archive/www.Pete-357.com/

Pete's information is good, but dated. Many more agencies have switched to 357 SIG. More importantly, there doesn't appear to be much, if any, documentation indicating agencies have switched away from 357 SIG. So, despite its higher cost per cartridge, it must be worth it - agencies that are chronically short of resources do not willingly spend more than necessary to accomplish the mission. Performance in the field has been superior. Bullet designs for other calibers and cartridges have improved so that some of the advantages of 357 SIG (like barrier penetration) are no longer significant. At this point, I would say it is one excellent performer among several, but an excellent performer none the less.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

I found a 357 Sig Barrel for the Glock 29 (it's a stock length barrel) I just might pick it up, as they can't seem to sell it. They're asking 40.00 for it, so it sounds like a deal to me. The barrel needs no fitting, and it just drops right in the slide. might be a dual caliber gun coming here.. woul dbe interesting to see how the 357 sig, 40 S&W and the 10MM stack up against each other, especially coming out of the same pistol.

JT [OP]
    $40 is a steal. Do you know what brand it is?

not sure what the Mfgr is on the barrel, but I'll find out in the morning.. I believe it's a KKM barrel...

JT [OP]
    If it is a KKM, by all means buy it. That will run you $165 through Lone Wolf Distributors.

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH
    I found a 357 Sig Barrel for the Glock 29 (it's a stock length barrel) I just might pick it up, as they can't seem to sell it. They're asking 40.00 for it, so it sounds like a deal to me. The barrel needs no fitting, and it just drops right in the slide. might be a dual caliber gun coming here.. woul dbe interesting to see how the 357 sig, 40 S&W and the 10MM stack up against each other, especially coming out of the same pistol.
    That's a steal. I'd be very interested to know how they compare, particularly if you are able to match up similar performing loads across the cartridges.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Ok Guys
    Friday night 40 vs 357 Sig vs 10MM shootout coming. I got that 357 Sig BBl tonight. It's a KKM Precision, was "Used" but you judge for yourself in the pics.. I dropped it in the Glock 29 and it fit VERY smoothly. Good polish job on the ramp, and bright stainless to boot! The Muzzle end looks Soooooo big, and I'd hate to be looking at it with a round in the chamber. A few pix of the Glock with the Barrel in it..
    Attached Images

Looks good ya got a hell of a deal on the barrel.

wish we had a place like you get the deals at around here

Assistant Administrator
    Looks good to me Bob! Now go shoot the livin' crap out of it
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I'm starting part time work at that place I go to in maine....beginning this Sunday....I'll keep you posted as to what's hot up there.. ok?

JT [OP]
    Even used, $40 for a KKM is a steal.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links