Federal Tactical vs. HST?

This is a discussion on Federal Tactical vs. HST? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all! I've been thinking of trying out some HST in my Glock, as I've heard nothing but great things about its performance. But wouldn't ...

Thread: Federal Tactical vs. HST?

Federal Tactical vs. HST?

Hi all!

I've been thinking of trying out some HST in my Glock, as I've heard nothing but great things about its performance.

But wouldn't you know it, shortly before I was going to place my order, I saw on one of these boards a person write that, "the Federal Tactical Bonded is the premium version while the HST is the 'budget' version."

Is this true? Or is this just more internet lore?

Thanks in advance!

--Dan

2. Remove Ads

Smells funny to me. Like BS. Bonded is good, HST is good - the budget version comes in a white box marked "Winchester JHP". JMO

Austin

aus71383: Thanks for the advice. I was thinking the same thing! Thanks a bunch!

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think bonded means just that, bonded. The jacket is bonded to the core to prevent separation when shooting through steel, autoglass, plywood, etc..

The HST is the super expanding line. It expands without clogging after going through most barriers and retains it's weight. It is decent against core-jacket separation, but it still does occur once in a while. From the ballistics tests I've seen, the HSTs have the greatest expansion per caliber versus other manufacturers, usually more than doubling their initial size.

my avatar is a 230 grain .45cal HST sitting on a quarter...I like 'em
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think bonded means just that, bonded. The jacket is bonded to the core to prevent separation when shooting through steel, autoglass, plywood, etc..

The HST is the super expanding line. It expands without clogging after going through most barriers and retains it's weight. It is decent against core-jacket separation, but it still does occur once in a while. From the ballistics tests I've seen, the HSTs have the greatest expansion per caliber versus other manufacturers, usually more than doubling their initial size.
    +1

Sounds right to me.

HST

I fired a bunch of the HSTs in .40 (155gr IIRC) into wet newspaper. If you look at the avatar you can tell, I can't find my pics of it right now. It's a Gold Dot bullet with a plain copper jacket instead of an electroplated jacket. All the .40s I recovered had a cannelure crimp groove around the bullet to lock core and jacket together. Compared side by side to a Gold Dot, the hollow point is wider while the jacket, and the lack of the gold dot in the center of the expanded bullet are the only noticable difference. I plan on carrying the 155gr when I run out of my Triton 135gr Quick Shoks.

Bonded trades some expansion for better barrier penetration and less chance of core/jacket separation (especially through really tough stuff like auto glass).

Either will do just fine for defense. I like the idea of bigger holes, and I don't shoot through car windows very often, so I use HST. YMMV.

Links