351 PD as a BUG, yes/no

This is a discussion on 351 PD as a BUG, yes/no within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I put a deposit on a 351 PD. I know it's a only a little bullet but, there are seven of those puppy's at up ...

Thread: 351 PD as a BUG, yes/no

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar

351 PD as a BUG, yes/no

I put a deposit on a 351 PD. I know it's a only a little bullet but, there are seven of those puppy's at up to 1200fps with real minimal recoil in a gun that there shouldn't be any excuse not to have on you. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by hudsonvalley; January 19th, 2008 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Poor grammar. I blame my fourth grade teacher. Or at least I would if I were a Liberal.
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Whip me for my ignorance but I am not sure what that gun designation is

Is this a .22lr or a .32? No idea right now but hey - any BUG is a good BUG if it's there in the first place.

Heck - my BUG is often a lil NAA Mini in .22 mag!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Sorry...351 PD is an aluminum frame, titanium cylinder "J" frame, 22 mag.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Assistant Administrator
    Ahh OK - well .22 mag out of a small handgun does by all accounts approximate a .22lr from a rifle. My take on my NAA mini.

That said then, 1200 fps is not too bad - about 145 ft lbs region.

Thing is this is probably gonna be ''bad breath'' distance or closer and so - the effect will be possibly marginal but also possibly very fatal!!! If that was all you had to fall back on - I for one will take it
    Chris - P95

I just thought it was a good price ($350) for a gun that doesn't appear to have been shot very often. It's really light (11oz +-) and 22 mag has a lot of snot behind it. No excuses not to have it with me, God forbid. Thanks for the speedy reply :)
    ---Ronald Reagan

Assistant Administrator
    That should make for a suitable BUG but the price seems a tad high - not for the gun itself as a model but as a price for a bug ... when the NAA would save you some bucks. It is so small - way smaller than J frame - and so can go in almost any pocket. Only five shots I confess but --- still handy!

Mine ''lives'' much of time in either a front vest pocket in summer or top shirt pocket in winter months.

Chris - P95

hudsonvalley -
    I have owned a 351 PD for a couple of years. It is so light & easy to tuck away in a pocket. Seven rounds of .22 magnum puts out plenty of vinegar for a deep cover bug. The weight fully loaded with 7-50gr. HP's is only 11.8 oz. I am of the opinion that a "church" gun does not have to be a howitzer. I love that gun!
    John -
    "The story you are about to hear is true; the names have been changed to protect the innocent."

I would consider a .22 mag a last ditch gun...you can get a Seecamp .32 for $450 - no excuse not to have one of those on you either, and its a lot bigger bullet....JMO

Austin

I'm kind of a big-hole guy. While it's true that a .22 might kill an aggressor, that's not necessarily helpful to us. He might die a week from Tuesday, and in the interim continue making knots all over our sweet young bodies. Our job is to Stop! him right now, and, except for a fortunate CNS hit, a .22 is a little light. As an aside, I recall, years ago, shooting those big Arizona jacks with a Ruger .22and they didn't even seem to notice.

Since it's a J-frame anyway, why not get her in the larger-busted .357 variety?

Much lighter recoil than a .357. A 22 mag at bad breath distance would definitely put a damper in anyone's day. 7 rounds....easier recoil than a .357...Drop in my pocket when my Kimber isn't practical...that's what I was thinking.
    ---Ronald Reagan

I'd look at the 341 (.32 H&R 6 shot version) or even a 442 before dropping down to .22 Mag. Its only one more shot...and its a tiny little one.

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    ...you can get a Seecamp .32 for $450 - no excuse not to have one of those on you either, and its a lot bigger bullet....
    First let me say that I believe that Seecamp does manufacture very fine firearms. But even when using the recommended factory ammo of the day, there have been several reports of Seecamp .32’s jamming. I am not saying it is a huge problem, and I would guess that many owners have never had the problem.

I have never heard of a jam, stovepipe, or any other ammo sensitive problem with this little Smith wheelie! Pull the bang switch and it goes bang; every time; with every type of .22mag ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    I would consider a .22 mag a last ditch gun...
    I agree with that. That is why I carry one. I want a small, very light weight, 100% dependable, easily concealable, last ditch gun that I am sure will go bang, instead of possibly becoming a 13oz paperweight.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Crumrine View Post
    I'm kind of a big-hole guy…..
    So am I. But you need to understand that before I dig for this little bug, I have probably already thrown at least 30 big-hole Federal HST ashtrays at he BG.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Crumrine View Post
    .....Since it's a J-frame anyway, why not get her in the larger-busted .357 variety?
    The lightest weight .357 j-frame is going to weigh in at 12 ounces (about 14 ounces loaded). It also carries a MSRP of $1000. I hope you get a vital hit with the 1st round, because after you have fired it once, you will have to seriously reconsider weather or not the guy really deserves to be shot again! You will then have to go to the ER to have your broken hand tended to!
    John -
    "The story you are about to hear is true; the names have been changed to protect the innocent."

I was thinking ER when I put the deposit down on that j-frame 22. The guy at the gun counter showed me the Scandium 44 mag. He had a HUGE smile on his face. I wished him good luck if he buys it. If the .357 is a beast, the .44 with full blown mags would be holding a bomb in your hand. 22 mag seems to fit what I want in a 'pocket' gun. Thanks everyone....
    ---Ronald Reagan

Links