Buffalo Bore's .380 + P loadings

This is a discussion on Buffalo Bore's .380 + P loadings within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a Sig 232 (.380) for concealed carry. I know, I can hear it now, if you wanted a 9mm why didn't you buy ...

Thread: Buffalo Bore's .380 + P loadings

Question Buffalo Bore's .380 + P loadings

I carry a Sig 232 (.380) for concealed carry. I know, I can hear it now, if you wanted a 9mm why didn't you buy one. I have carried other pistols but the Sig is the one that weighs the least, (16 oz. empty) has a flat profile and with Hogue grips fills my hand nicely, and is accurate. My question is this: Buffalo Bore advertises a couple of loads that look promising. One is a 100 gr. lead flat nose at 1150 fps and a 90 gr. HP at 1175 fps., have any members put these loads on a chronograph, or shot them into some kind of medium to test their effectiveness. Thanks in advance, dgang

http://www.buffalobore.com/
    link added by qks

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I'd either go with the HP or FMJ. Magtech or Corbon both yield over 220 ft. # muzzle energy with good expansion and weight retention.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Administrator

Thumbs up

I have shot BuffaloBore but, not .380.
    It's high quality ammo.
    On the BuffaloBore web site BB also suggests Speer GoldDot in .380 as being quite good.

Item 27A/20: 100gr. Hard-Cast FN @ 1125 fps 280 ft. lbs Per Box of 20
    $19.94

Item 27B/20: 95 gr. F.M.J.-F.N @ 1125 fps 267 ft. lbs. Per Box of 20
    $19.94

Item 27C/20: 90 gr. Speer Gold Dot J.H.C. @ 1175 fps 276 ft. lbs. Per Box of 20
    $19.94
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I have shot it and am using the .380 100gr flat nosed lead bullet in my Mustang. It really has a pop to it, but no problems with the gun. BB has chronographed it in a Mustang - 1072 fps - 255 lbs of ME. That's better than a lot of standard .38 loads.

I really like the looks of that 100 grain flat-nose round from Buffalo Bore. Thanks for the informative post.

A few years ago we had an armadillo that didn't seem to anxious to leave even though he had four of my dogs barking at him. That can only mean trouble, so it had to go.

At the time I was carrying my Bersa loaded with 90gr Federal HydraShok. I fired at the armored rodent from about 10 ft. The JHP traveled clean through the armadillo and bounced off of the side of my metal barn, striking me in the shin. The bullet was deformed, but it didn't hurt!

The armadillo didn't even flinch and walked off. I grabbed my 1911 out of my truck. The armadillo went down with one shot of 200gr Gold Dot.

I put the Bersa in the safe, and it's been there for 3 years. The BB ammo may just see me pulling it back out of the safe though. That ammo is impressive.

rd
    "Little by little the look of the country changes because of the men we admire." Homer Bannon - Hud 1963
    Behind the Barn

hmmm..... just might be the stuff I'm looking for.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Quote Originally Posted by rdrancher View Post
    A few years ago we had an armadillo that didn't seem to anxious to leave even though he had four of my dogs barking at him. That can only mean trouble, so it had to go.

At the time I was carrying my Bersa loaded with 90gr Federal HydraShok. I fired at the armored rodent from about 10 ft. The JHP traveled clean through the armadillo and bounced off of the side of my metal barn, striking me in the shin. The bullet was deformed, but it didn't hurt!

The armadillo didn't even flinch and walked off. I grabbed my 1911 out of my truck. The armadillo went down with one shot of 200gr Gold Dot.

I put the Bersa in the safe, and it's been there for 3 years. The BB ammo may just see me pulling it back out of the safe though. That ammo is impressive.

rd
    Good story RDRancher. You must be from around these parts.

"900 armadillos can't be wrong" Quoted when spouting off the supposed ballistic advantages/disadvantages of so-and-so bullet.

Links