What should I use-Speer Gold Dot -Standard or +P+ ???

This is a discussion on What should I use-Speer Gold Dot -Standard or +P+ ??? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I want to use Gold Dot Speer -9mm.-124gr.out of my Glock 19. I have heard that if you have a 4 inch barrel(Glock 19 has ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What should I use-Speer Gold Dot -Standard or +P+ ???

I want to use Gold Dot Speer -9mm.-124gr.out of my Glock 19. I have heard that if you have a 4 inch barrel(Glock 19 has 4 inch barrel) that you should shoot the standard Speer 124.
    I have also heard that if you use the +P- Speer 124 gr. that the round expands too quickly and will not penetrate enough. Can anyone on this site help me understand what Speer Gold Dot (standard or +P) I should use out of a Glock 19. This gun will be used for HD.

Thank-you for your info!--JARHEAD
    Last edited by Sneaky; January 22nd, 2008 at 11:30 AM.

I'm into the gold dot 147 gr standard pressure loads for short barrel 9's.

Speer Gold Dot Ammunition, Ordnance Gelatin Calibration, Anatomically Correct Targets
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-O-Matic View Post
    I want to use Gold Dot Speer -9mm.-124gr.out of my Glock 19! I have heard that if you have a 4 inch barrel(Glock 19 has 4 inch barrel) that you should shoot the standard Speer 124!
    I have also heard that if you use the +P+ Speer 124 gr. that the round expands too quickly and will not penetrate enough! Can anyone on this site help me understand what Speer Gold Dot (standard or +P+) I should use out of a Glock 19! This gun will be used for HD!

Thank-you for your info!--JARHEAD
    If your carrying a G19 and shooting a +p+ 124 grain I honestly don't think you have to much to worry about. Your NOT outgunned or carrying inadequate gear. GD is a proven effective cartridge and has been serving the Law Enforcement Community for years. I would worry about your statement very much that you heard see below:

"I have also heard that if you use the +P+ Speer 124 gr. that the round expands too quickly and will not penetrate enough! "

I honeslty think that who ever told you this either is trying to sell you somthing else or hear 4th hand from a friend who knows some guy who heard this may have happen.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

You can have the Speer Gold Dot bullet in a few different choices, including +P. DoubleTap's 115gr, 124gr and 147gr choices, for example.

In the unscientific tests I've performed on the DT, it makes a real mess out of a side of beef, a large country ham. Decent penetration, large exit wound and channel. While some tests suggest there are a couple of bullets that better withstand clogging of the hollow-point cavity, the few studies I've seen show that the Gold Dot is a decent performer. As indicated, the Speer GD has been used for years successfully by law enforcement everywhere.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

kpw
    I use the 124+P Gold Dot in my G19. I could/might be wrong but I believe the NYPD uses the 124+P version in their G19s. I'm thinking they like it.

i use the gold dot 124+p in my sig 239 9mm. i feel it would perform as needed after reading different studies about it.
    it also hits on target for me at the range, nuff said.
    Last edited by stormbringerr; January 26th, 2008 at 10:02 PM.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

I run the standard pressure 124 grain loads through my xd 9 sc. Can't complain about them as they seem to do the job.
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Personally i tend to use what shoots closest to poa /poi and i dont frankly give a ratts butt about reported preformance . For me its about what will MY pistol put ON TARGET with RELIAIABILATY . No handgun round will " stop " the most you can hope for is that one will hit where the sights point
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Gold Dot 124+p averaged 1197 fps out of 4 in. FNP9 and 1160 fps out of 3.8 in. FNP9M and shot to POA at 15 yds for me. DPX is the only other round that has impressed me as much....but at $25 for 20 rounds for DPX vs $20 for 50 rounds for Gold Dot(local gun show prices), I can practice more with the Gold Dot.

Quote Originally Posted by forestranger View Post
    Gold Dot 124+p averaged 1197 fps out of 4 in. FNP9 and 1160 fps out of 3.8 in. FNP9M and shot to POA at 15 yds for me. DPX is the only other round that has impressed me as much....but at $25 for 20 rounds for DPX vs $20 for 50 rounds for Gold Dot(local gun show prices), I can practice more with the Gold Dot.

Barnes bullets are the inventers of the copper bullet-who sell their parts to Corbon! Barnes XPB copper bullet is the exact same bullet as the DPX-- but cheaper.

Here's their site where you can not only order the XPB copper bullet but you can order a FREE DVD on Bullet Myths.

Barnes Bullets » Barnes Bullets - the future in bullet technology. -Jarhead

Quote Originally Posted by Cat-O-Matic View Post
    Barnes bullets are the inventers of the copper bullet-who sell their parts to Corbon! Barnes XPB copper bullet is the exact same bullet as the DPX-- but cheaper.

Here's their site where you can not only order the XPB copper bullet but you can order a FREE DVD on Bullet Myths.

Barnes Bullets » Barnes Bullets - the future in bullet technology. -Jarhead
    Yep. you right. Just got too lazy in my old age to reload anymore. Retired, moved, and 5 years later, still haven't set my reloader back up. Thanks for info!

VIP Member
    Use standard or get a bigger cartridge and use standard in that one.

In 9mm I personally like a hotter round. I've used gold dot in +p+ and like it. I like winchester ranger sxt 127gr +p+ in 9mm. Its the best round I've tested out of my G19.

Quote Originally Posted by bmwaddicted View Post
    In 9mm I personally like a hotter round. I've used gold dot in +p+ and like it. I like winchester ranger sxt 127gr +p+ in 9mm. Its the best round I've tested out of my G19.
    I've got 357 mags in 2, 2 1/2, 3 in. barrel length. GD124+p is pushing close to same velocities I get in the 357s with several brands of 125 gr. JHP.

re;

I have the regular Gold Dots in 124 grain for the 9, has anyone tested the 147 grain GDs ?
    Springfield Armory 1911-A1 TRP SS
    Glock 17
    Glock 32 ( w/ 23 barrel )
    Smith & Wesson M&P 9

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links