Buffelobore ammo

This is a discussion on Buffelobore ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I tried out some of the new BB 158gr HP non +P ammo at the range yesterday WOW out of a S&W model 10 4in ...

Thread: Buffelobore ammo

Buffelobore ammo

I tried out some of the new BB 158gr HP non +P ammo at the range yesterday WOW out of a S&W model 10 4in I put 6 in the head of the target at 7yds double action then 6 out of my carry gun a old model Colt Cobra and that was exciting! man talk about bark and bite it really bucks in the Cobra even though it is non +P. This is going to be my carry ammo from now on but I am going to keep practice shooting with the Cobra to just what is nessary to stay proficient. And at almost a buck a round that shouldn't be a problem

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I've got the same load for some of my non +P .38's.

It's great stuff. It really is.

Buffalo Bore loads are, IME, hotter than any other factory-loaded ammo in every chambering they make.

It is accurate, and it is just about the ultimate available in factory loadings, power-wise, for each chambering they make.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Buffalo Bore = good stuff.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

The BB non +P 158's are in my
    Nickel 49 and Nickel 442.
    They are the first 2 up in my 640(38),
    followed by 3 BB 158 +P's.

coach

It's excellent ammo.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

yeah, but it is super expensive for 10mm...

For 10mm the loads by Double Tap are similar and comes in 50 rnd boxes.

I carry BB 158 +P in my snubs and 4 inchers.

Thanks for the report. All seems to be well with Buffalo Bore ammunition with many singing the praises of the non +P load.

Senior Moderator
    I like BB and I have some 180gr .357 loads I got to carry in bear country. Wow those pack a whallup shooting.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Today I fired three rounds of the BB 158gr Lead HC non +p into one-gallon water jugs today from my 642-1 at a distance of 10'.

Round #1 exited the rear of the 4th jug at an upward angle and deflected off of 5th jug, denting it. The bullet started to break apart upon impact with the 1st jug. Fragments were found in all four jugs.

Rounds #2 & 3 left perfect wadcutter-like exit holes out of the back of the 5th jug. Apparently none of the bullets expanded! Small fragments were recovered in the jugs, but I failed to note which jugs they were in.

I would love to show you recovered bullets, but unfortunately, all of them continued on to bury themselves in the dirt backstop. Did they expand upon impact with the dirt? We'll never know. It would be impossible to distinguish recovered bullets from the hundreds of lead bullets in the backstop left from previous practice sessions.

This was by no means a scientific test. I started carrying this ammo a couple of weeks ago and finally had the time to test the Buffalo Bore ammo out for myself. I did not use a chrono, nor did I make provisions to recover bullets that penetrated all of the jugs of water. Truth be told, I expected them to possibly shed large fragments (as they did in brassfetcher's test) or to expand and be recovered in or between the jugs. I was wrong.

I will repeat this test again (with better planning) when I get the chance, but until I can prove that this round will expand reliably out of the 1-7/8" barrel of the 642-1, I'll go back to Speer 135gr GDHP+P's. The Gold Dots I've fired into water and mud have consistently expanded from the little S&W.

I will also carry the Gold Dot +P's in my vintage Charter Arms Undercover, and practice with them sparingly.

Edited to add the following:

Here's a photo of all of the fragments recovered from three rounds next to an unfired BB round. The three Gold Dots shown for comparison were recovered from water/mud.

rd
    Last edited by rdrancher; February 6th, 2008 at 10:33 AM.
    "Little by little the look of the country changes because of the men we admire." Homer Bannon - Hud 1963
    Behind the Barn

This time I used hard white plastic containers for this observation as opposed to soft clear milk jugs. Only three of the containers used this time were of the same size. All of the containers pierced by the four bullets were split from the entry/exit holes to the bottom and only used one time. Speer GDHP's were placed in the photo for comparison.

Round #1 - My bad - I forgot that the first container was a shade taller than the rest. Bullet traveled through 12" of water and was captured at the back of the arresting box. A micro-fragment was found in the first container.

Round #2 - Recovered at the back wall of the second container at 20". No fragments were found.

Round #3 - Recovered between the second and third containers at 22". No fragments were found. Deformation was caused by contact with the wood at the bottom of the containers and the corner of the third container.

Round #4 - Recovered on the surface of the dirt backstop after traveling through 22" of water and the cardboard flap of the arresting box. No fragments were found.

So why the difference between today's and yesterday's results. Hard plastic vs. soft? Did the soft plastic clog the hollow cavity and turn it into a flat-nose? I have no idea. But I am more confident in the load.

rd
    Last edited by rdrancher; February 6th, 2008 at 06:42 PM.
    "Little by little the look of the country changes because of the men we admire." Homer Bannon - Hud 1963
    Behind the Barn

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I like BB and I have some 180gr .357 loads I got to carry in bear country. Wow those pack a whallup shooting.
    +1 There.
    I carry a .357 with the hard nosed 180 gr rounds when I work in hog country. You'd get some sore wrists if you shot a lot of it. (If you could afford to) I also carry the hard nose 100 gr load in my .380. It has more ME than most standard .38 loads.

Links