New guy needs help!

This is a discussion on New guy needs help! within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just took advantage of the rebate offer S&W recently had and purchased my first handgun, an M&P9. I took it to the range last ...

Thread: New guy needs help!

New guy needs help!

I just took advantage of the rebate offer S&W recently had and purchased my first handgun, an M&P9. I took it to the range last night for the first time and I noticed a few things. First of all I was using WWB from my local Wal-Mart (USA9MMVP) because it was $15.26 per 100. My loads seemed very loud and my recoil seemed pretty jumpy for a 9mm. I was surprised. Now, it has been a while since I have shot any type of handgun so maybe it's just first time jitters. I started out low, but eventually brought things up. Is this ammo known for being hot? Is there a particular kind you would suggest to start out with? Even the guy who was standing next to me said he thought my rounds were louder, had more flash, and were jumpier than his Wolf .40S&W rounds he was shooting with his comparable Walther PP99. Any ideas or suggestions? Maybe I need to hold the firearm differently? Oh well, it's not going to keep me from going back out and shooting some more! Thanks for any and all suggestions.

2. Remove Ads

WWB isn't usually known for being hot. Its what I usually shoot for practice ammo in all calibers.

Were you using a one handed or two handed grip? What kind fo stance?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Senior Moderator
    Make sure you are holding the pistol as high up on the grip as possible, and you might give the thumbs-forward grip style a try:

It's also possible that the Wolf .40 loads were a bit on the underpowered side.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Administrator
    Ditto: Matt plus...
    Try adding a bit of dynamic tension.
    Get a firm grip...push forward with your gun hand and simultaneously pull back with your support hand.
    That should decrease muzzle flip and get you back on target quicker.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I was using a two handed grip, and I was trying to hold as lightly as I could while trying to be surprised at the discharge. I think my grip was like that of the photo but it might not have been. I used to compete with .22 rifles as a kid, and haven't really shot in 15-20 years, let alone my experiences with a handgun have been limited and were 15-20 years ago as well. But I have desired to learn pistol shooting and wanted to learn defensive pistol and try IDPA, so I bought the M&P9 carry kit, so I have everything I need and now I'm trying to learn. I suppose I ought to enroll in some kind of class.

My opinion is worth your paying for it. Wolf ammo is junk and inconsistant. WWB is a close second, and I also believe that it exhibits the same traits you describe vs. Golden Sabers and Hydrashoks. Just me. I do use a bunch of WWB due to it's price though.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Did you have hearing protection on?

Its a good idea to hold the gun tightly. I hold my guns like a "firm hand shake" while some hold them as hard as they can. Like white knuckle crushing grip like. Holding the gun lightly will not help you with accuracy, shot to shot recovery time, or reliability. Its just bad all around.

Austin

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    All guns have recoil, even a .22lr. You could try practicing with a .357mag or .44mag first, and then the 9mm will feel like a BB gun. Try a bunch of different grips and stances and use what works best for you. Here is a list of the basic ones with a few pictures:

Overview of Handgun Shooting Stances - No BS Martial Arts

I had ears on. It might also have to do with it was really cold here yesterday and the range was freezing. I wasn't very comfortable at all. But all in all, it sounds like a whole bunch of rookie errors. I was paying attention to my stance and would say it was most like a modified weaver. I appreciate all your help. The only place I know that does lessons, does it at an outdoor facility. I will look into taking a class when the weather warms up here in the Chicagoland area. Thanks again!

I'm fairly new as well so certainly no expert, but everything I've seen and heard suggests a very strong, tight grip is best for managing the recoil, as opposed to a "light" grip. Just a thought.

Nolite timere!

Lord, please help me to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am.

WWB in my book is known for being quite the opposite of hot. i prefer something with a little more umph. (wolf is even weaker though)
    my guess would be you just need to get used to shooting it some more. what you discribed is pretty common.
    i also suggest the grip in the pictured about. get your strong hand as high as you possibly can.
    as far as grip strength goes, everyone has different opinions on how tight you should hold it. i use a very tight grip. not enough that it makes me get shaky or anything, but enough to prevent any kind of milking.

just do as much shooting as you can. and if there is anyone you know that can help you out with grip and technique, take in as much info as you can.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Links