Where and what do you buy for practice?

This is a discussion on Where and what do you buy for practice? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With the ammo prices going up daily, what's the best deal on the market. I look for .40 and 5.56/.223 1. Do you shop the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where and what do you buy for practice?

With the ammo prices going up daily, what's the best deal on the market. I look for .40 and 5.56/.223
    1. Do you shop the web
    2. Walmart win whitebox's
    3. Cabelas/sportsman guide big box bulk
    4. Reload I don't reload as of now, if you load your own at what point does the investment + time do you start seeing a savings on price per round. # wise
    5. How many rounds/ money do you spend a month on practice

I'm looking for the best way to spend more time at the range, which we all know is the key to having the skills, confidence , If ever needed.
    I may be wrong but the more skilled at arms, the better chance you have at not having to fire your gun, and if you have to, the better chance you have of coming out alive.
    Thanks for the input guys(and girls) nice and pc
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Ammo prices are crazy!!

And honestly it has effected how often I go to the range. I used to fire once a week sometimes more, but now I barely go once a month. Lately I have been buying bulk whenever I find a good deal, but I've noticed that the good deals are few and far between. Ammo prices will continue to raise so pick it up now because there's no turning back!

I normally buy at gun shows *no shipping costs*, but I have purchased ammo online several times. I use this site as a guide gun-deals.com - Unbiased Gun Deals

I have bought from Welcome to Ammunition To Go! and Widener's Reloading and Shooting Supply INC and both are pretty damn good.

Reloading sounds like the way to go, anything to offset the price of firing.....I need to learn more about it!

Paratroop23

PTR91
    Arsenal Sam 7 UF
    USPf .45
    USPc .45
    USPf .40 CC
    Mossberg 590A1

One of my Wally World's has the UMC 250 round bulk packs right now! Beats the Winchester white box prices per hundred for sure!

i wish my wally world had those.

Practice at home, I have my own out door 2 stall range.
    reloads.
    Think twice
    Buy once!

Member Array pleasantguywhopacks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jualdeaux View Post
    i wish my wally world had those.
    Same here. All the WW around here are slim pickins as to how much and what brand of ammo. Never any blazer ever.....
    When seconds count, police are only minutes away!
    OFCC Patron
    Buckeye Firearms Assoc. supporter
    Life Member NRA

i reload and am the president of my schools pistol club, so i can use our range 5 days a week for free.
    which is good cuz im a poor college student.
    as far as ammo goes, if i cant reload i go with walmart WWB
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    For practice, I mostly use WWB from Walmart for .40 and Blazer Brass for .45. I think the 100 round boxes of .40 were $21 and the 50 round boxes of .45 were $12 or $13. Without buying in bulk, those are the cheapest prices I've found.

Of course I always shoot a mag or two of my carry ammo, Winchester Ranger T-Series and Federal HST. Those I buy online from ammunitiontogo.com for the HSTs and from SCGuy here on this forum for the Ranger T-Series.

For practice I love the Magtech stuff in my .38's and .45's. To me it is excellent quality and the price seems better than most. About a month ago I bought some Ultramax "remanufactured" .45 230gr. LRN loads from Sportsman's Wharehouse for 9.99 a box. Seem to shoot great with no feeding problems. Shoulda bought more...they are now up to 14.99 a box.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Ramrod-that looks like a dream come true !!! My walmart has all the ammo in the rather small sporting goods counter,...definitely jealous b/c I use WWB (found out about it through DC.com haha)

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Why is it that whenever I read about ammunition prices in the USA I always get to feeling like I want to sit down and cry
    OH now I remember why, because I’m in Europe, Ireland to be exact, and I pay €13.00 for 50 rounds ((thats about $19.00)) and we are limited here to FMJ only, thats if and when I can even find it in the gun stores.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, pass me my vest!

WWB vs. Remington .40 at Walmart

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    One of my Wally World's has the UMC 250 round bulk packs right now! Beats the Winchester white box prices per hundred for sure!
    Are you sure?

Your photo shows the Remington .40 caliber at $60 for 250 rounds, which is $24 per 100.

Another poster said he bought Winchester White Box .40 at Walmart for $21 per box of 100. I also bought WWB .40 for that price at my nearby Walmart about a week ago. I figure the WWB .40 caliber is $3 per 100 rounds cheaper than the Remington shown in your photo.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    Are you sure?

Your photo shows the Remington .40 caliber at $60 for 250 rounds, which is $24 per 100.

Another poster said he bought Winchester White Box .40 at Walmart for $21 per box of 100. I also bought WWB .40 for that price at my nearby Walmart about a week ago. I figure the WWB .40 caliber is $3 per 100 rounds cheaper than the Remington shown in your photo.
    Same goes for me. I can buy WWB 9mm for $16 per 100. So that would make 250 rounds cost $38 which is about $5 cheaper than the Yellow UMC box of 250. They didn't have any .40s&w last time so I don't remember the exact price on it. I also bought WWB .45acp for $29 per 100. But it seems like the prices differ around the US. I say buy as much as you can afford before it's too late or it's so expensive you can't buy it. Firearms aren't very useful without ammo.

Before I started reloading I was a regular at Walmart to buy WWB - cheaper than anything I could find online or anywhere else.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Several years ago I took the advise of a guy at a gun show that sold ammo. He said then that prices were going up and to buy whenever I say it low. I have a closet full of 9mm, .45, .44 magnum, and 12ga. shotgun shells. WWB from Wally World seems to be a good standard price to go by but I try to buy from other sources because I don't like Wally World. Natchez Shooters Supplies is pretty good for on the web. Fleet Farm can have some good buys on shotgun shells too.

Natchez Shooters Supplies
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links