Difference in grain, how much different does....

This is a discussion on Difference in grain, how much different does.... within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How much difference does it make in your gun for accuracy if you shoot different grain bullets? For example, I have a 40 Cal. that ...

Thread: Difference in grain, how much different does....

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar

How much difference does it make in your gun for accuracy if you shoot different grain bullets? For example, I have a 40 Cal. that seems to shoot 180 grain best. Do you experience a difference in accuracy too with different grains?

VIP Member
    Differences in bullet size can make a big difference. Some guns seem pickier than others to the point that which powder and/or primer can make a difference. I'm not that good, but I do know that different types and sizes of bullets can be significant.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

I guess I should post why I ask. It may give more insight to what I'm trying to figure out. I'm still in the process of figuring out my latest gun, inside and out with how it shoots and what shoots best. I shoot 180 grain target ammo, WWB and Blazer Brass. It shoots better with those then 155 grain Hornady, Silver tips, or Gold Dots. When I say better, I mean accuracy. No feeding issues at all. I still have to try 180 grain P.P. ammo in it to see. It does shoot the 155 grain accurate enough that I would feel okay with carrying it but I'm still searching for the "Best" round.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    How much difference in accuracy are you noting? It's certainly not that unusual to see different ammo have different performance. On the other hand, even though I may see differences from a bench rest at fifty feet of say, 2" groupings with one ammo and 3" with another, I rarely see such noticeable differences when I am shooting from a normal stance...
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    How much difference in accuracy are you noting? It's certainly not that unusual to see different ammo have different performance. On the other hand, even though I may see differences from a bench rest at fifty feet of say, 2" groupings with one ammo and 3" with another, I rarely see such noticeable differences when I am shooting from a normal stance...

Shooting from 10 yards in a normal stance, unsupported, I get pretty much all my rounds shooting 180 gr. target ammo inside a 5 inch circle. Shooting 155 gr. P.P. ammo It opens up to about 8 inches. They seem to be more spread out.

Sounds like you'd better stick with the 180 IMO. You can test it out at 25 yards off a rest and see what the real answer is - it may just be you prefer the 180s. But a 5" group at 10 yards is not good - I'd say its acceptable.

Austin

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
    Shooting from 10 yards in a normal stance, unsupported, I get pretty much all my rounds shooting 180 gr. target ammo inside a 5 inch circle. Shooting 155 gr. P.P. ammo It opens up to about 8 inches. They seem to be more spread out.
    Well, then I would suggest bench testing them to see how much of the difference is the ammo and how much is something about the way you shoot the different ammos. It may be that you handle a hotter load differently than a tamer one, perhaps, but it may indeed be something about what your gun likes.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
    I guess I should post why I ask. It may give more insight to what I'm trying to figure out. I'm still in the process of figuring out my latest gun, inside and out with how it shoots and what shoots best. I shoot 180 grain target ammo, WWB and Blazer Brass. It shoots better with those then 155 grain Hornady, Silver tips, or Gold Dots. When I say better, I mean accuracy. No feeding issues at all. I still have to try 180 grain P.P. ammo in it to see. It does shoot the 155 grain accurate enough that I would feel okay with carrying it but I'm still searching for the "Best" round.
    I don't know how Hornady performs as a hollow point, but that stuff is super accurate in my .40 Sig. P239. 1 inch or less in 7-10 yards and very dependable feeding is good enough for me. And I have shot Speer, Federal HST, Winchester, Blazer Brass, etc.

VIP Member

Yes, point of aim may change or 180 vs 165 makes a big difference in group size.

What kind of gun are you shooting that shoots 5" groups at 10 yards?

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    What kind of gun are you shooting that shoots 5" groups at 10 yards?

Austin
    An M&P. That is shooting at 30 feet (10 yards) unrested. I already know it is me and not the gun making a 5 inch group. I have shot it rested with 180 grain Blazer Brass and tighten that up quite a bit, with several in the bull's eye on each magazine. I don't shoot much rested because I practice the way I would use it in a real life situtation. My 5 inch groups is no fault of the gun, I know it is more capable of accuracy then I am. I do see a difference in accuracy with with different grains and wondered if others experience that too.

Thanks for your replys.

Have you tried dry firing it quite a bit? I've heard that the M&Ps come with pretty rough triggers and dry firing can help a lot. I suggest shooting at 5 yards, unsupported, and slowly. If the best you can do is 2.5 inches, try from a rest at 5 yards. The rounds should all be going into the same hole at that range. Shoot 10 round groups with a few different weights of ammo, and if they aren't all going into the same hole at 5 yards, I'd say your gun has a problem. Just my $0.02

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    Have you tried dry firing it quite a bit? I've heard that the M&Ps come with pretty rough triggers and dry firing can help a lot. I suggest shooting at 5 yards, unsupported, and slowly. If the best you can do is 2.5 inches, try from a rest at 5 yards. The rounds should all be going into the same hole at that range. Shoot 10 round groups with a few different weights of ammo, and if they aren't all going into the same hole at 5 yards, I'd say your gun has a problem. Just my $0.02

Austin
    Thanks for the advise. Next time out, I'll try at 5 yards and see what I get. So far, I only have a little over 400 rounds through the gun.

Sponsored Links