Gunsite guy suggesting birdshot on PDTV???

This is a discussion on Gunsite guy suggesting birdshot on PDTV??? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was watching one of the first season episodes of Personal Defense TV today and they were talking about shotguns. One of the Gunsite instructors ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

I was watching one of the first season episodes of Personal Defense TV today and they were talking about shotguns. One of the Gunsite instructors said that they suggest using birdshot inside of a home because it is less likely to penetrate walls. I was very surprised buy that. In my mind anything that doesn't have enough energy to penetrate drywall across the room is NOT a good choice for SD as it wont have enough energy to give you the pentration on a BG that you need. I believe that most of you will agree with me but what is your guys' take on this?
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I do not understand using birdshot. I personally run 00 buck because I want to penetrate without second thought. Of course, I have no neighbors.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    I do not understand using birdshot. I personally run 00 buck because I want to penetrate without second thought. Of course, I have no neighbors.
    Remind me not to build a house next to yours.

I guess the question is, just how incapacitating is birdshot compared to 00 buck?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    I guess the question is, just how incapacitating is birdshot compared to 00 buck?
    That is EXACTLY the question!
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Being said many times on this forum.......00 buck for self defense.
    Birdshot is for birds!
    Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.--SHOOTER

I think you misunderstood. I saw the show too, but at the beginning they prefaced that they were going to discuss being prepared and gaining enough knowledge to defend yourself with any firearm you should come across. They suggested you could defend yourself with a single breech action shotgun, then a side by side, then a hunting rifle. They went on to show how to operate an AK since you could run across one in any part of the world...

They weren't saying birdshot is the best choice, just better than having nothing.

kpw
    I use 00 buck. For overall use, it suits my needs for an HD load. At most HD ranges, birdshot and the heavier shot sizes can be very effective. If all I had were some of my turkey loads to defend my house from a boogerman, I'd feel just fine about it. I doubt he would like it much though.

I am loaded with #7 shot in the tube and on the side saddle.

Part of the reasoning is the penetration. I have two kids in the next room. I don't care about the drywall, I care about them.

Another point is that if the wife ever needs it, the bird shot doesn't have a lot of recoil. Since she isn't a shooter, the heavier recoil from "OO" would be too much for her to contend with.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

First two are 00 buck, then slugs till I'm out
    <Yep that's really me rounding up a herd

VIP Member
    I was shot in the legs with .12 gauge Rem low brass # 7 game load when I was young. We were small game hunting and a guest my cousin had brought pulled a Dick Cheney and popped me. I was on top of a brush pile trying to get a rabbit to flush. It flushed right at the guy, did a 180 and came right back at me. This nitwit fired high and hit me in the shins. I was about twenty yards away, and was wearing thermal underwear, sweat pants, and heavy brush pants. It hurt, caused some bruising, but I think only 5 or 6 pellets penetrated my clothes and only two penetrated my skin. I was very upset to say the least, but I felt very lucky.

Moral of this story is I use 00 buck all the time for HD!
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

If all I had for HD was a shotgun, and I had no arms, and my wife was going to be doing the shooting, and she was a horrible shot, and I had kids in the next room, and she had a torn rotator cuff, and the bad guys in my area were all 25 pounds or less - I would consider using birdshot. I would also consider selling the shotgun and buying a .22 LR.

As it stands, my HD shotgun is loaded with low recoil 00 Buck. If there is a bump in the night and I want to go have a look, I'll take my Sig and a Surefire or my AR, and my wife will have the shotgun to keep her company until I get back. The baby sleeps in our room still.

Just my two cents - and I was kidding a little bit about the .22 LR

Austin

Not for a million bucks. When I was active duty, I had a young first termer that took a load of birdshot (7 1/2) in his back to the left of the spine. This he said was fired accidently from about 5 feet by his cousin that he was hunting with. He got into the military and he seemed just fine to me. Home defense, I wouldn't use it unless I wanted to go for the face and hoped that I blinded him.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    Not for a million bucks. When I was active duty, I had a young first termer that took a load of birdshot (7 1/2) in his back to the left of the spine. This he said was fired accidently from about 5 feet by his cousin that he was hunting with. He got into the military and he seemed just fine to me. Home defense, I wouldn't use it unless I wanted to go for the face and hoped that I blinded him.
    At 10 feet,12 ga. 7 1/2 shot will punch a jagged hole through 5/8" plywood, punch through a 2x4 and put a nasty gouge in a hemlock fence post. At 5', that guy you knew was lucky and it probably wasn't a 12 or 20ga.

VIP Member
    A good turkey load would be nasty, but recoil would be on par with oo buck. So why not use the buck shot? As I said in my previous post at twenty yards #7 shot pretty much just bounced off of me.

At 10 feet,12 ga. 7 1/2 shot will punch a jagged hole through 5/8" plywood, punch through a 2x4 and put a nasty gouge in a hemlock fence post. At 5', that guy you knew was lucky and it probably wasn't a 12 or 20ga.
    At ten feet any 12 gauge round should be fatal, but why handicap yourself? Just my 2cents.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    Bird shot will work at close range. If there are any doubters.....let me shoot you from 10 feet with it!

I have used it at close range on animals & it is devastating......My wife has even killed snakes with it & I have some fist sized holes in my barns to prove it. I do agree that buck shot is probably better, but inside a home some #6 should be acceptable.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links