Hornady .40 S&W 155-grain TAP LE load

This is a discussion on Hornady .40 S&W 155-grain TAP LE load within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would appreciate any real-world information on this load. Not so much personal testimony, as I fully understand the risk of discussing one's own specific ...

Thread: Hornady .40 S&W 155-grain TAP LE load

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar

Hornady .40 S&W 155-grain TAP LE load

I would appreciate any real-world information on this load. Not so much personal testimony, as I fully understand the risk of discussing one's own specific shooting incidents, but cumulative, collective agency experience against bad guys. I ask because I must buy my own ammo and weapons, which I think is a blessing, although an expensive one. A local LE-oriented supply store, where I used to buy Remington 165-grain Golden Saber, is having trouble keeping it in stock, but they also have Hornady TAP available.

I am asking here instead of the ammo forum because this load is different from the TAP marketed to the general public.

FWIW, the business is C&G Wholesale in Houston, which sells only to peace officers. I can still get Golden Saber at regular gun shops, but must pay the steep retail price. As I like to break-in a new weapon weapon with 300 rounds of FMJ and then 200 rounds of duty ammo, full retail is painful, and it's time to break-in my spare SIG duty pistol.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Rexster; February 10th, 2008 at 03:26 PM. Reason: typo

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    You can get it online, I'm sure. And if you buy enough of it, it somewhat absorbs the shipping costs. Eventually it would be cheaper than the local gunshops, if it isn't just by the single box. I've found some local shops outrageous on their ammo prices.

Just because it's marketed to LEO, doesn't mean it's illegal for civilian use. Federal HST's and Winchester Ranger are two other types that come to mind. They are both marketed to LEO, and the Mfr tries to keep them in LEO hands by enforcing strict rules on the guys they sell them to. But some shops still allow civilian sale. Some don't, but some do.

BTW, we discuss Federal HSTs and Winchester Ranger LE ammo extensively in the ammo forum...

Oh, I know the LE ammo is legal for private citizens to possess. The only legality involved might be the federal excise tax added to certain sporting goods, which is not applied to LE firearms when obtained through proper channels. This tax is about 10 or 11%, and is built-in to the sale price of sporting ammo and firearms, not added at point-of-sale. I have not asked, but I bet this store is selling ammo without the F.E.T. assessed. Moreover, LE ammo is often available in 50-round boxes, while consumer ammo will be packaged in 20 or 25-round boxes, with a totally different pricing structure.
    Last edited by Rexster; February 10th, 2008 at 06:39 PM. Reason: clarity

What's the difference between the TAP LE load and the TAP-FPD stuff? Can't find any info on Hornady's website about the LE loadings.

Can't help with your question but if you want to continue with the Rem. Golden Sabers, give CheaperThanDirt a try. I've been buying my GS carry ammo from them for quite some time. Current price on the 40 S&W 165 gr. is $14.97. That's $14.02 LESS than Midway's current price.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

cvhoss, thanks for the info!

Links