Pondering some previous threads.....

This is a discussion on Pondering some previous threads..... within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have read some of the posts about stockpiling ammo/magazines and this caused me to have some questions come to mind. I had mentioned in ...

Thread: Pondering some previous threads.....

I have read some of the posts about stockpiling ammo/magazines and this caused me to have some questions come to mind. I had mentioned in other posts picking up a .45 or two. Logistically, would it behoove me to have another handgun caliber in the stable or to stockpile ammo based on the two handgun calibers I already own. Another question that came to mind is whether .40 S&W or .45 ACP would dry up faster in disaster situations? The police here carry .40 S&W. I suppose I should also consider the same questions about 9mm. How much is enough to store up on a modest budget. This is why I only own Glocks right now, they are reliable and moderately priced. I can open the can of worms about rifle selection and stockpiling later. Also how many magazines is an acceptable number? Your thoughts will be most welcome.

What will dry up faster is whatever is being shot the most. If you are stockpiling to sell it, I would get 9mm. If you are stockpiling for yourself, just get what you need. I think it makes sense to have at least as much ammo as it takes to fill your magazines. Also I think it makes sense to have as many magazines as possible. I doubt you'll ever wish you had fewer magazines. I think several thousand of each caliber you own would be a reasonable start. If you have enough ammo you would ever possibly need, plus enough to practice with for your lifetime - then you need to think about future generations....what will your kids shoot? My final answer is: you can never have enough.

Austin

I stock up on what I use and continue to buy more than I use.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    While I keep plenty ammo on hand, my real "stockpiling" is in reloading supplies. Most powders have multiple uses, as do primers, and in some cases I have even melted lead shot to make cast bullets. Some brass can even do double duty in a case of need, ie,243's are easily made from 308 brass, 222's from 223's,etc.

Sponsored Links