test shooting a cast iron bathtub - Page 2

Test shooting a cast iron bathtub

This is a discussion on Test shooting a cast iron bathtub within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know AP does a job of destroying cast iron....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: test shooting a cast iron bathtub

I know AP does a job of destroying cast iron.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Good read and good pics. 9mm & 45acp like to see more on that.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Sounded like fun.
    Are you starting the PPKHEAT of truth?

VIP Member
    I would like to see what .357SIG and 10mm would do. I wonder if the porcelain coating is helping the tub to withstand the shots. I don't know how the porcelain is applied, but doesn't the surface it is put on have to be prepared. In the two tubs we have (neither is double wall) the outside appears to have been left in the rough, but the inside where the porcelain is looks like it was smoothed. This is real apparent around the holes for faucets, etc. Isn't the porcelain coating fired after being placed on the cast iron? If so, does this act as a heat treating of the iron and does the bonding of the porcelain increase the strength of the iron?

Just wondering why the tub doesn't act like other cast iron.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Assistant Administrator
    George ... AFAIK the process of enamelling will not change the cast iron's metallurgical properties -- by its very nature it will always be brittle and I'd not think the thin layer of glass would significantly ''strengthen'' the whole thing - not anyways when it comes to localized impact.

The one thing which I see as a variable is the presence of voids - a variable depending on the nature of the iron's original inclusions (how ''clean") .... and then the quaility of the casting process.

Good cast iron would probably take more punishment than poor examples - where size and quantity of voids could embrittle it further ... enabling major stress lines.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    I would like to see what .357SIG and 10mm would do. I wonder if the porcelain coating is helping the tub to withstand the shots. Just wondering why the tub doesn't act like other cast iron.
    Sorry I don't have a .357 Sig or 10mm, but if you could write a note in support of me buying one or both, I'd show it to my wife.

I'm pretty sure the porcelain wasn't doing much good regarding bullet resistance, and I believe it was coming off at the impact site due to the cast metal flexing a little bit and breaking the bond between the cast and the porcelain.

Just like there are so many varieties of steel, there are many varieties of cast iron and IMHO that is where the difference lies. I was at a home supply store recently and a quick glance told me that the cast iron tubs in todays market are thinner than the one I used.....not a surprise, but likely to cause different results using the same bullet tests. So I think that thinner/thicker and cast metal formula's would all cause inconsistencies in testing.

Any ideas on something else to test shoot? toilets?, concealed carry badges?, baked ham?, car tire? Hey I think a car tire might be interesting. Comparative shots with various calibers, across the sidewalls, then shots into and out of the treads.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Assistant Administrator
    Car tires?? One thing with these is the potential for rounds coming back to the shooter - well - with lower velocity stuff anyways!

I think if tests were to be useful then a tire would need to be on a rim and fully inflated. If just a tire casing used then it is much better able to absorb energy as it deforms ... thus maybe giving a bounce back instead of penetration.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Fascinating - and I was expecting the tub to just kind of shatter. Also interesting to see how the "lowly" (by modern standards) 30-30 did.

VIP Member

Update

Okay I just got back from doing some more shooting at the bathtub. I never could get a .45 FMJ to penetrate it in one shot, it would finally bust a hole on the second or third shot, much like the 9mm.

After finishing the .45 shooting, we decided to try rifles, of course we knew that they would punch through at least one layer, so we stacked all our pieces together so we had a total of 4 layers of cast to shoot through. Shot the first one with a M-14, it punched through 3 layers of the cast and the bullet apparently disintegrated on the 4th layer, not damaging it at all.

Next was an AK-47, it went throught the first layer and disintegrated on the second causing no noticeable damage.

The last was a K31 (7.5X55 Swiss) it punched through 2 layers and disintegrated on the third.

The cast iron on that particular tub is TOUGH stuff.

BTW while we were there we stacked up five 2X4's and fired one round from each rifle through the stack. The AK went through 4 and lodged in #5. The other two rifles zipped through all 5 boards.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links