Ammo Life

Ammo Life

This is a discussion on Ammo Life within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I heard from a co-worker the other day that ammunition companies are putting something in their gunpowder that makes the ammo useless in 5 years, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ammo Life

Question Ammo Life

I heard from a co-worker the other day that ammunition companies are putting something in their gunpowder that makes the ammo useless in 5 years, approx.

Is there any truth in this or is he a paranoid survivalist?
    Seek safety at the heart of danger.

Live Easy, Die Hard

Lead Moderator
    never heard this. Seems very unlikely , due to the fact many hunters keep the same box of 20 for years and years. But then I can't find my tinfoil hat either.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    But then I can't find my tinfoil hat either.
    I have two, you can borrow one but I want it back! :1saufen:

Live Easy, Die Hard

Administrator

A Thought

I would think if that were true then the ammo makers would need to have a WARNING printed on the ammo boxes or color code the ammo cartridges...or something to that effect.
    If a shooter loaded a firearm with a few 5 year nearly defunct ammo rounds in combination with some hot pre "created shelf life" ammo...it would make for a very hazardous (squib type) shooting situation & the ammo makers would get Seriously Sued in court.
    I would guess that absolutely can't be true.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Lead Moderator
    alsoa few ammo companies load for the military too. Can't see em making 2 kinds of powders.

Lead Moderator
    When I was in the bomb disposal business I found that ammo lasts a lot longer than folks think. I once found good (black) powder in a cannon ball that was fired into Washington DC during the war of 1812!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Assistant Administrator
    There is little doubt there are some new powders being developed but not in any way I can believe that would ''shelf-life'' ammo! That would seem a totally untenable deal - almost as crazy a trying to put numbers on bullets!

The main thrust of development seems to be toward lower flash for handgun ammo in particular, and probably as well even cleaner burning with minimal residue etc.

True enough - old ammo can last amazingly. My oldest .303 Brit stuff was IIRC dated 1943 - so was wartime production. It is by default corrosive and used cordite but it generally works even if a slight hangfire effect. Moisture is probably ammo enemy #1 - followed perhaps by very sustained high temps over the long term.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I have also fired very old ammo with no ill effect, and conitnue with my Mosin surplus stuff. I agree modern ammo would be required to have a warning label by lawyers, if they were indeed deliberately degrading thier product. Doubt it.
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

JT
    I agree ammo will stay good a lot longer tham most think. But I do always rotate mine. Whenever I buy some to shoot, the new stuff goes in my “reserve” and I shoot the older stuff. I even mark all of it with the date I bought it.

Mark the boxes that is. I don't get out a sharpie and write the date on each individual round.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I have some of the original Super-Vel rounds from the 1960's & they're still good. I have fired 45 from WWII and Korean era for fun and practice. But I rotate the ammo in my carry gun whenever multiple chamberings force the projectile itself to sink deeper into the casing of the round. Then it's time to get rid of the cartridge and not by firing it!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Q-ball
    I heard from a co-worker the other day that ammunition companies are putting something in their gunpowder that makes the ammo useless in 5 years, approx.

Is there any truth in this or is he a paranoid survivalist?
    I used to carry a small can of B--- S--- repellent in my truck. When someone gave me information that had that smell, I would get the can and spray myself for protection.

About 12 or 14 years ago, a similar rumor was circulated concerning primers.
    Last edited by KC135; September 2nd, 2005 at 02:08 PM. Reason: spelling
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

I'm not new to combative thinking, however I am new to firearms. I've only been seriously into firearms and fighting with them in the past 5 years, so there are some stupid questions that I still ask.

Live Easy, Die Hard

JT
    It’s not a stupid question. It’s a legitimate concern, brought on by some misinformation.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Administrator

Thumbs up Q-ball

Your thread topic is great.
    We want to quench the rumors early when they surface.
    KC135 Nailed it. The BS Repellent needs to get sprayed around a bit on that one.
    Plus we get to read about all of the OLD antique ammo & powder that folks find that is STILL AMAZINGLY GOOD!
    Cartridges seem to stay viable for a really long time because the propellant is nice and safe inside its own, dry secure, environment inside that cartridge case.
    I don't think I've ever shot anything older than some W.W. II Surplus pistol ammo & it was still good. I shot that up in the early 90s.
    That's really sort of amazing when you think about it.

Hope not. Have not heard of this at all. Have shot some old ammo both in rifles and pistols. Shot good. I agree that if this happens they (the ammo people) would make a warning on the box. I have a 1 lb. can of Bullseye powder that has never been opened. It is approximately 30 to 35 years old. But I would not hesitate to load with it. Keeping it I guess as a keep sake. I read someone's thread yesterday that he changed new ammo every 6 months. If someone finds out for sure please notify.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links