Is There A Favorite .357 Mag Defensive Round?

This is a discussion on Is There A Favorite .357 Mag Defensive Round? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; remington 125 grain semi-jacketed hollow points. I have the 2 1/4" dao sp101. They shoot great , good recoil and are accurate. Try them out. ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is There A Favorite .357 Mag Defensive Round?

remington 125 grain semi-jacketed hollow points. I have the 2 1/4" dao sp101. They shoot great , good recoil and are accurate. Try them out. Thats my self defense load. Better than the heavier stuff I think in that gun.

2. Remove Ads

125 gr HydraShocks is what I load in my cylinders.
    NRA Instructor/RSO/Coach/Recruiter
    www.mallardspring.com
    Fenix, Olight, Nitecore, AMK, Leatherman, Condor, Maxpedition
    Forum Member 8% Discount code dccwms8

Quote Originally Posted by Super Trucker View Post
    I carry the Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel round in my J-Frame. It is 135 grain.
    Speer Ammo - Ballistics Tables
    At the bottom of this page are the ballistics info for the short barrel round if you are interested.
    Another vote for the 135 gr Speer GD Short Barrel ammo. It is specifically designed for the snubby. It has low flash and better expansion coming out of a short barrel than the other loads that were designed to perform best out of longer barrels. The manufacturer # is 23917.

Remember that this load has only been out a few years. What was perceived as the premier ammo 20 years ago may now be outperformed by some of the newer products on the market.
    John -
    "The story you are about to hear is true; the names have been changed to protect the innocent."

In my 642, I do carry the Speer GD 135's.
    NRA Instructor/RSO/Coach/Recruiter
    www.mallardspring.com
    Fenix, Olight, Nitecore, AMK, Leatherman, Condor, Maxpedition
    Forum Member 8% Discount code dccwms8

I shoot the Speer 135gr. Gold Dot's for "short barrels". I've read about and considered other rounds for my snubbie, like the Buffalo Bore's, Cor Bon's and such.

But, it comes down to the fact that the Speer people are professionals who develope ammo for many police depts. The depts. accross the country seem to be well pleased with Speer's stuff. Gold Dots seem to be on the cutting edge of bonded bullet technology. The "short barrel" powders and whatnot seem to be on the cutting edge. In addition, the 135 gr. hp's have been especially revamped for short barrel use (expansion at lower velocities).

All in all - I feel that sooner or later one must put themselves in the hands of the pros.

This is the round I have decided to trust my life to. True - there could be something that could come close or even exceed these rounds. I'm just not the guy with the knowledge to argue the point. I'd rather take the advice of a few dozen police depts. that have run extensive tests - than to go with an unknown report or two from someone on the web.

MARV

I shoot a 158 gr Remington SJHP out of my 2.25" Ruger SP101.

At 10' from the muzzle it chronographs at 1233 fps.

This round achieves 18" of penetration and expands to .536"

Mike G.

125 grain Speer GD in 4" - 6" revolvers. As a general rule I don't use magnum loads in my snubs.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    I have heard that if you own and shoot one of the older K-frame Smith's (I have a M65) that you shouldn't shoot the 125gr. loadings at all due to potential damage to the forcing cone. Basically it was put to me that since the 125gr loads are seated further back than the 158gr loads that when fired the 125gr. bullets are being slammed downward somewhat into the cone and would cause damage and cracks. It was recommended that only 158 gr. loads should be shot from the older .357's to avoid potential damage to the revolver. Anybody else know anything about this?
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Yes Doc, I have heard of this concern before with K frame pistols. This is a good writeup on the issue:

Use of Magnum Loads in S&W Model 19 and Other K-Frame Magnums

I have a model 19 that I purchased new in the mid 90's and the owners manual does not mention the need for 158 grain magnum ammo. It seems the subject is open to debate as some owners have had problems with some loads, while others have not. Perhaps I am being too cautious, but I limit the magnum loads I fire and tend to stick to 158 grain ammo since it is readily available.

What do you use?
    ‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’

— Abraham Lincoln

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by badmojo View Post
    Yes Doc, I have heard of this concern before with K frame pistols. This is a good writeup on the issue:

Use of Magnum Loads in S&W Model 19 and Other K-Frame Magnums

I have a model 19 that I purchased new in the mid 90's and the owners manual does not mention the need for 158 grain magnum ammo. It seems the subject is open to debate as some owners have had problems with some loads, while others have not. Perhaps I am being too cautious, but I limit the magnum loads I fire and tend to stick to 158 grain ammo since it is readily available.

What do you use?
    Well mine is local Sheriff's Dept. trade in M65. I suspect it was carried alot and shot little. I shoot mild .38 loads when I target shoot. However I have shot at least 50 Federal 125 gr. loads out of it prior to knowing about this which is what I keep in it for serious work. No problems yet.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links