.38 or .38+p for Girlfriend?

This is a discussion on .38 or .38+p for Girlfriend? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My girlfriend has been doing fairly well with her new S&W 642 CT with light .38 loads. Problem...she has extensive left hand damage from a ...

Thread: .38 or .38+p for Girlfriend?

My girlfriend has been doing fairly well with her new S&W 642 CT with light .38 loads. Problem...she has extensive left hand damage from a machine accident, basically only has her thumb and index finger, making a proper Weaver pull impossible. She can use her left hand for support, but that's about it. Before I invest in expensive +p ammo, do you guys think it would be too hot for her? Should I just stick to quality .38 special hollow points for defense? Thanks!
    Tracy
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Well, I would say to get one box of something in about the power range you're thinking of and try that out. And it's worth more than just a cylinder full, because it may be a matter of working on her technique to the point that the hotter rounds are managable, and it's worth the price of one box of ammo to see if she can handle some better defensive loads. If the hot ammo is too much trouble, then she is definitely better off with lighter loads she can control than hotter one's she can't, of course.

Also, you could have her try something more like an isoceles grip, which has both arms pushing forward rather than the push/pull tension of the Weaver. The lack of fingers pulling on the support hand wouldn't matter as much there. If you are curious about this, check out Ayoob's StressFire pistol book for a thoroughly good explanation of the grip and stance for this type of hold.

Good luck!
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Senior Moderator
    You can get a box of WWB 125gr +P pretty cheap and let her try that.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Thanks guys. I've never shot .38 +p's, just how much more recoil is there? She's awkward with the Isoceles stance, but we should probably work on it more.

Senior Moderator
    I really can't tell a difference between +P's and regular 38's. Might be a little more muzzel flip with a snubbie, but not much.

My wife shoots 38+P's from her Taurus 605 and she can't tell a difference between them and regular 38's either.

You can see if she can handle one armed Point Shooting follow the link to Fairbarins original training manual.
    Last edited by pgrass101; February 14th, 2008 at 03:51 PM. Reason: spelling
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

You're going to hate this answer, but I would buy a box of the +P's and a box of the non +P's.

Then have her shoot from the low ready, 5 rounds in 5 seconds at 5 yards. The load she can keep in 5 inches is what she should carry. It may take a little practice, but for myself, I don't like anything lower than 38 Special +P for self defensive purposes.

With that said, my Mom can't shoot the +P's anymore. So we load non +P's in her gun. You will have to find what works for her, not what works for me, you or Joe Blow down the road.

Good Luck.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    My wife shoots +P's in her 4" .357 mag. with no problems. I switched a few regular .38's in there (without telling her) and she just kept shooting and didn't notice the change. I can't tell the difference and I was sure she would. I was wrong! Have her try both and see what works best for her.

Kazza has a good point - try changing styles. That should help!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

The difference with +P is 20%. That's unlikely to be a deal-breaker.

If you're worried about recoil, I'd try Corbon DPX. It's light bullet reduces the recoil, despite the high pressure and velocity. It's all-copper bullet seems to be pretty reliable at both penetrating and expanding.

My wife can barely tell the difference. But her gun is a 2" 327 - out of my 442 .38 +Ps feel a little hotter...I'd get both for her to try.

Austin

VIP Member

In the case you decribe, I'd stick with regular .38SPL.

Any experience with Federal's Self Defense Low Recoil rounds with the small Hydroshock bullet?

Is she left or right handed? If right handed, I see no reason why she shouldn't be able to handle +P loads.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Try them both out.

Sponsored Links