Heavy Bullets in an XD

This is a discussion on Heavy Bullets in an XD within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just read an old article about loading .45 ACP to resemble the original Colt .45. His best result was 1 inch 5 shot groups at ...

Thread: Heavy Bullets in an XD

Heavy Bullets in an XD

Just read an old article about loading .45 ACP to resemble the original Colt .45. His best result was 1 inch 5 shot groups at 20 yards using
    NWCP 260 Low Velocity JHP/5.5gr. Unique at 802 fps
    NWCP 260 Low Velocity JHP/6.0gr. Unique at 895 fps.
    His fastest load was
    H&G #68/7.0gr. Unique at 1,043 fps gave him 1 3/8 inch groups. Although he said his personal favorite load to get max performance in an XD was
    Oregon Trails SWC 255/6.0gr.Unique at 964 fps
    Oregon Trails SWC 255/6.0gr.Universal at 955 fps
    gave him 2 inch groups at 20 yards
    He gave repeated warnings that you shot these loads at your own risk. That they were carry shoot rarely loads and not for practice or plinking. Anyone have any experience shooting anything like these loads?
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    Just read an old article about loading .45 ACP to resemble the original Colt .45. His best result was 1 inch 5 shot groups at 20 yards using
    NWCP 260 Low Velocity JHP/5.5gr. Unique at 802 fps
    NWCP 260 Low Velocity JHP/6.0gr. Unique at 895 fps.
    His fastest load was
    H&G #68/7.0gr. Unique at 1,043 fps gave him 1 3/8 inch groups. Although he said his personal favorite load to get max performance in an XD was
    Oregon Trails SWC 255/6.0gr.Unique at 964 fps
    Oregon Trails SWC 255/6.0gr.Universal at 955 fps
    gave him 2 inch groups at 20 yards
    He gave repeated warnings that you shot these loads at your own risk. That they were carry shoot rarely loads and not for practice or plinking. Anyone have any experience shooting anything like these loads?
    I read that article- it was in american handgunner a few months ago I believe. Yeah, it sounded interesting. I'm not one for experimenting, but I do reload a lot. As long as the pressures don't go over the max, you would be fine. I found it interesting the guy used an XD45. I have one too and it was nice to see he had no function problems.
    David
    from LA

I have 5 guns.

Quote Originally Posted by dsonyay View Post
    I read that article- it was in american handgunner a few months ago I believe. Yeah, it sounded interesting. I'm not one for experimenting, but I do reload a lot. As long as the pressures don't go over the max, you would be fine. I found it interesting the guy used an XD45. I have one too and it was nice to see he had no function problems.
    Thats why I'm asking if anyone has experience shooting these or similar loads. To find out what are your impressions & thoughts are. Any signs of excessive wear on your XD? I took notes because I have an XD. I do not reload, that is why I asked if anyone had tried or done anything similar. Just curious

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I see now at the northwest custom projectile website if you click on the NEWS link.
    There are now 2 ammo mfgers loading ammo with many of there products. Also in the 45 ACP, using the same bullets used in the XD45 article. I assume these companies have pressure tested these loads.. They must be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by swageking View Post
    I see now at the northwest custom projectile website if you click on the NEWS link.
    There are now 2 ammo mfgers loading ammo with many of there products. Also in the 45 ACP, using the same bullets used in the XD45 article. I assume these companies have pressure tested these loads.. They must be OK..
    Just saw your post, do you have a link? May have to try some out. Do some testing of my own and come to my own conclusions on the mass vs velocity debate. Could end up with a new carry load.

I'd be mighty careful drifting outside the design envelope of such a low pressure cartridge; I had a co-worker who decided he was going to experiment with 200 grain hard cast bullets, unique powder and his Glock 22.

The result was a KaBoom...... Scratch one Glock pistol, which Glock of course refused to repair because of the damage caused by reloaded ammunition.

My co-worker kissed $500 bye bye... so be careful, no matter what the gunwriters say.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    I'd be mighty careful drifting outside the design envelope of such a low pressure cartridge; I had a co-worker who decided he was going to experiment with 200 grain hard cast bullets, unique powder and his Glock 22.
    The result was a kabob...... Scratch one Glock pistol, which Glock of course refused to repair because of the damage caused by reloaded ammunition.
    My co-worker kissed $500 bye bye... so be careful, no matter what the gun-writers say.
    Thank you but I'm confused. Did you read the question? I asked for input from anyone with experience with these loads in a XD.45 not a glock. Even though they are both tupperware they are very different guns I don't know anything about glocks. I had never heard that they could not handle 200 grain bullets, you are talking about a .45 right? I use 230gr exclusively in my XD, 230gr Brazer Brass for practice and 230 Federal HST for my EDC ammo. So it sounds weird to me

The next thing, and again thanks. I do get that ammo with a high pressures can cause excessive wear on a gun, that is why I included the authors warning. Also as he suggested other than to run some test rounds through the XD, my intent is to use these as EDC / SD loads not practice or plinking. I thought that higher pressures / PSI was a function of the amount & type of powder used not bullet weight. So, I do not get why your friends Glock ka-boomed because he increased bullet weight. Can you explain that to me. I don't reload so I really know nadda, zip, nothing about any of that.
    I also do not understand low pressure cartridge. The .45 is a low pressure cartridge? What is a low pressure cartridge? I've never heard that term before. What is it? How is it relevant. I do not reload, thats why I am asking. With hotter loads, I thought the issue is the guns ability to handle the increased pressure / PSI and why I asked specifically about those loads in a XD.45. But you are saying that there are low pressure cartridges that can blow up from to much bullet weight .. or did you mean to much powder? In almost forty years of shooting I have never heard of a low pressure cartridge ka-boom before, but than I did not know low pressure cartridges, existed.
    As far as warranty even though XD's are made in Croatia, Springfield is an American company and is excellent about honoring their warranty. Even in a few cases I know of when the owners did use reloads contrary to the manufactures in instructions. One of the reasons I finally went over to the dark side and bought a tupperware gun. It is not my plan to ka-boom my XD. Which is why I am very interested in what the prior poster said about there being some commercially available heavy weight ammo available. that would end any warranty concerns. Still interested in hearing from anyone with experience with these slow heavy rounds

Smile XD45_ IE NwCP bullets

I think the best thing to do is contact the ammo mfger at (Buckammo)
    1-276-395-3975 see if they have any advice on pressures or just purchase there ammo using the NwCP bullets I also see that NwCP has the scorpion tapered hex and pin bullets for the 40S&W-10MM the same ammo mfger loads and sells them also..

I don't reload hot loads I usually load 5 grains unique behind a 200 or 230 grain cast RN bullet i .My reloading book says never exceed 5.4 grains unique with a 260 grain Jacketed bullet.my sierra book only goes up to 240 grain JHP bullet and max load is 6.8 grains unique.I would never load above max loads ever you are asking for a problem you might get away with it a couple times but on the other hand why you loading defense loads so hot and if you pull the trigger and your gun blows up when you are in a defensive situation you are not going to like the outcome if the other guy has a gun.I carry factory defense loads they are proven to work after extensive testing by the manufacturers.People that experiment with loading above limits set forth in reloading data books that don't know how to calculate velocity vs. pressure "me" are vreally risking their safety and the safety of other people around them,i seen videos where gun parts fly everywhere.Just my .02
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I don't reload hot loads I usually load 5 grains unique behind a 200 or 230 grain cast RN bullet i .My reloading book says never exceed 5.4 grains unique with a 260 grain Jacketed bullet.my sierra book only goes up to 240 grain JHP bullet and max load is 6.8 grains unique.I would never load above max loads ever you are asking for a problem you might get away with it a couple times but on the other hand why you loading defense loads so hot and if you pull the trigger and your gun blows up when you are in a defensive situation you are not going to like the outcome if the other guy has a gun.I carry factory defense loads they are proven to work after extensive testing by the manufacturers.People that experiment with loading above limits set forth in reloading data books that don't know how to calculate velocity vs. pressure "me" are vreally risking their safety and the safety of other people around them,i seen videos where gun parts fly everywhere.Just my .02
    Thanks why I asked, don't have any source book like that. Based on what you said it looks like he is at the upper limits with the exception of H&G #68/7.0gr. Unique formula, which exceeds them. Now are these ACP standards?

Links