Heard an interesting debate. Any thoughts?

This is a discussion on Heard an interesting debate. Any thoughts? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; yesterday while looking around the guns at gander (wishing i had the money for the .50 they were selling). i overheard one of the customers ...

Thread: Heard an interesting debate. Any thoughts?

yesterday while looking around the guns at gander (wishing i had the money for the .50 they were selling). i overheard one of the customers and a clerk both appearant gun guys debateing wether .45 long colt or 410 slugs are better for defense. unfortunatly i have no knowledge of these two cartridges but the debate sparked my interest wich would be better for a small bug.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Depends

If it was from a pistol like the Taurus Judge, I would lean towards the .45 Colt. Most of the .410 slugs are actually pretty light. I have a bunch of Federal and they weigh 109gr. Pretty light and who knows what performance you get from a short barrel compared to an 18" shotgun. Federals cheap .45 colt load weighs 225gr, Remington lists 225 and 250gr lead loads. There are a bunch of super high performance .45 Colt loads for hunting and such.

Federal Premium Ballistics

The Box O' Truth #41 - The Taurus Judge Vs. The Box O' Truth - Page 1

CORBON Hunter

I'd go .45 LC myself. The bullet is going to be 180 grains or more at worst - likely closer to 250+ the .410 slugs are much less than that. I don't like on the Box o' Truth how he just cuts down a 3" .410 to 2.5"....that's not realistic - or safe. Just my two cents.

Austin

tango-mike thanks for the info.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

kpw
    Most .410 Foster type slugs are 1/5 oz., a little under 100 grains. Out of that short barrel, I doubt your seeing a 1000 fps. That puts it around .380 ballistics with less penetration. Shooting them into water from an 18" barrel, I got a lead ring and a couple of fragments and very little penetration. You'd probably get less deformation and a bit more penetration from the short barrel but the .45 colt loads would do much better.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcat35 View Post
    wich would be better for a small bug.
    Neither would fit in a small BUG, so I would pick neither for that job. Having a gun chambered for both I would go with 45 Colt. More options and better energy for most loads. I know some folks who favor the .410 with shot for snakes and small varmints. To each their own.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

"Small" BUG

I guess this might qualify. If you had only one shot for a BUG, .45 long Colt, no contest.

GunBroker.com guns: 3 fmj 45/.410 derringer mint nib consecutive s.n. (item: 92204244 ends: Feb-19-08 0149 AM)

I agree. Are you sure the debate wasn't .45 vs 410 shot?

Then it becomes debatable but only as to range. To me, the Judge would make a great car gun. A face full of shot with a BG at your window, and the .45 if he threatens you with a gun from 8-10 feet away. Load the 410 shot first followed by the .45.

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    I guess this might qualify. If you had only one shot for a BUG, .45 long Colt, no contest.

GunBroker.com guns: 3 fmj 45/.410 derringer mint nib consecutive s.n. (item: 92204244 ends: Feb-19-08 0149 AM)
    My father in law has one of those. Every shot burries the hammer into the web of my hand and the barrel points skyward. Recoil isn't bad but it draws a little blood after a dozen or so .45 rounds. The .410 shot loads are fairly mild in comparison.

no offense but if you own a judge you own it because its a versatile weapon, with options, its not a good CCH/CCW but it has some good advantages for home defense, one is that it can shoot the .410 if you were going to load slugs in it why bother with such a heavy pistol? sure .45 lc as a stopper makes sense, but as others have said above compared to the 410 slug there is simply no comparison, use the pistol for what it was made for, or go and buy a .45LC pistol, 3 rounds of 410 buckshot may not get you a stop but if you need more than that you should have grabbed a better gun to start with. having said that if you really must know 45lc is going to put the hurt on you and the target, and 410 slug is going to put the hurt on your hand and not the target, it simply can not gain enough velocity to do the deed, is too light to start with and in my opinion is a waste of space in the chamber of the judge, NOW IF YOU COULD NOT GET A 45lc round, I would still avoid the slug, just my humble opinion.

Sponsored Links