Defensive Carry banner

2 1/2 revolver barrel ballistics, 357 vs 45acp, whats better?

13K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  aus71383 
#1 ·
Been looking at a model 66 and 325PD. Both are 2 1/2" models the 66 is a 357Mag and the 325PD is a 45ACP.

Ballistically the 45 should perform a bit better correct since there is more volume in the barrel compared to the 357 correct?
Most of the powder gets burned outside the barrel with the short barrel 357's correct?

#3 ·
I believe the 325 is a significantly larger frame - an N I think. If it was a choice between 8 shots of .357 and 6 shots of .45 ACP, I'd take the 8 shots of .357. But since the comparison is a K frame all steel 6 shot .357 to a large frame alloy 6 shot .45....I'd go for the .45 in that case. You should get fine performance out of either, but you may find yourself wishing for .38+Ps if you get the .357, while with the .45 there's no excuse, not to mention you'll most likely find the recoil more tolerable. JMO

Austin

#4 ·
I carry both .357 Magnum and 45 ACP in Revolvers.

If you can handle the .357 Magnum 125 Grain JHP's that is what I would carry and shoot. I shoot 185 Grain +P JHP's out of my 4" barrel 45 ACP. The reason I select the +P is because the 45 ACP, IMHO, is greatly affected when you go to a shorter than standard barrel. Standard in this case is 5".

All guns are affected by barrel legnth, some more so than others. I have found that while the .357 Magnum is affected, it has enough "reserve" energy to still perform well out of a short barrel.

Biker :urla9ub:

#5 ·
I cant for the life of me figure out why anyone would want to carry a gun that weighs as much as a brick and is not designed to fire the ammo you want to carry in it.

If you want a 357, buy a revolver--if you want a .45ACP, buy an autoloader. Lightweight(read comfortable to carry) models can be had in either caliber.

#9 ·
the "other" good argument for revolver over semi auto when using an auto rimmed cartridge (i.e. ,45 acp or 9mm) is manual of arms - if you are accustomed to revolvers, also ammo interchangeability or personal physical limitations - cannot rack slide due to arthritis...

same reason why I might buy a .40 S&W hi point carbine to go with my sig ...

#10 ·
If you're going with a .45, get an autoloader. That's what they were originally designed for... an "adapted" version to get as close as possible to the .45 long colt (revolver) in an autoloading form.

Also- .45 might be nice and fat ( .10 inches wider than .357 ), but it's also moving at roughly 60% of the speed of the magnum round. It is that speed which makes the .357 stand out from its size equivalents, the 9mm's.

These two cartridges really are apples/oranges. On the one hand, you're looking for "biggest hole possible", the "fat and slow" approach... vs. the "maximum energy deliverance possible", the "lighter and REALLY fast" approach. I chose the .357 because I view it as "closer to a rifle" in terms of performance and sheer impact. Of course, it has its drawbacks as well.

Of course, always use what's best for you... but yes, it's not uncommon for your hand to hurt after shooting a box of .357, especially in a lighter revolver. When I go to the range, I almost never shoot 50 of them... makes me tired of it really quick.

#11 ·
I got my wife a 327 - its the 8 shot 357 full moon clip 2" barrel. It weighs I think 21 oz unloaded. She likes it with .38+Ps - .357s are too much for her. I'm happy with her shooting .38+Ps because she is confident with them. She is also happy to have a revolver because they are simple. Purse carry is less than ideal, as I'm sure you know. Right now my wife doesn't have her permit, but once she does she'll be carry appendix IWB with this gun - Hoffner's holster most likely...otherwise we'll start building up a box of holsters for her!

Austin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.