357 mag vs 38+p in a snubby - Page 2

357 mag vs 38+p in a snubby

This is a discussion on 357 mag vs 38+p in a snubby within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have to agree with RSSZ's comments. No kind of 38 Special ++BOOM is going to equal a 357 from the same gun. Gunthorp, you ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 357 mag vs 38+p in a snubby

1952 - 2006
    I have to agree with RSSZ's comments. No kind of 38 Special ++BOOM is going to equal a 357 from the same gun.

Gunthorp, you have the correct idea here. Low pressure, no big BOOM, (Folks if you've never shot a full house 357 light bullet round without hearing protection, keep up the good work. It is quite painful.:-(

I think that the ideal round for a revolver, for self-defense, is a 45 Colt. I think it's the S&W MOD 25? If I'm wrong it will be corrected quickly by my fellow board members. Again low pressure, big heavy bullet.

Now your Python is a great gun. I've had both a 6" stainless and a 4" 1970's make blued one. They performed very well with the Hornady XTP HP's i tested in them. If I were you and I insisted on carrying the Python I would load it with the hottest +P 125gr HP load I could find. If you hit your target properly, they will do the job as advertised.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Hmmm... call me crazy, but I shot (for the first time) WWB 110gr .357 out of my new (to me) 2.75 inch Speed Six this weekend.

I was sitting on a bench (just had a spinal fusion so I don't balance on my feet very well) but was otherwise unsupported. I really shouldn't have been out and about yet but I had to test the new toy, right?

Anyway, there was consierably more fireworks than my issue M9, but it didn't seem unreasonably bad. I used to own a S&W in .45LC that I shot an an indoor range, so maybe I'm immune. The weight of the Ruger might have helped, too.

I plan on carrying 158 gr when all is said and done, I figure it's a good compromise round for both the revolver and the carbine I plan to buy... though I intend to test 180gr softpoints out of it when I get the chance just for fun.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp
    Call me crazy.
    Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier
    Hmmm... call me crazy
    Crazy

I use Remmington 125gr JHP in my 3"SP101, there is a noticable recoil difference between those and the 145gr +P's I tried. All in all I figure if you have a 357 and thats what you carry, you should carry 357 loads in it, you just have to practice, practice, practice after a while you will be proficent with a follow up shot with the mag loads.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruces45
    practice, practice, practice
    like crazy
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links