Washed Rounds

This is a discussion on Washed Rounds within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have no plans on carrying them anymore. I’ll just fire them off next time I go out. No need to worry about safety issues ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Washed Rounds

I have no plans on carrying them anymore. I’ll just fire them off next time I go out. No need to worry about safety issues at a range, I shoot outside near the foot hills, only me and anyone that’s with me, for miles.

It is nice to know others have experienced washing issues.

2. Remove Ads

i guess thats one good thing about being stationed in new york. every time i come back from home i make sure to account for all of my ammo and weapons. though that should change here in a couple months. but as of yet i haven't washed any of my carry ammo. i have cleaned up some loose rounds i picked up on certain ranges here just cause its nice to have a few tracers around but even then i disassemble the round as you never can tell why its laying next to the firing point.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    I have tested ammo soaked in water, salt water, WD40, and Hoppes #9 and the vast majority of centerfires still fired, some after more than a month submerged in WD40. No premium JHP failed in any test. Some of the rimfire even worked, too. I've found the worst thing is to wash and dry ammo, I've had some hollow points deform from bashing around in the dryer in speed strips. I think the odds are that it will fire fine, but for piece of mind, throw it into the training pile.
    My uncle kept a .38 on his nightstand for years loaded with the same five 158 gr lead roundnose cartridges. He cleaned and OILED the gun every six months or so, but he never changed out the cartridges. When I finally inherited the gun, I took it to the range and three of the five rounds misfired, one was a squib and the fifth seemed to fire normally.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitosis View Post
    I hear that if you add some fabric softner you can expect "softer" recoil.....YMMV

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links