Buying new guns based on ammo

This is a discussion on Buying new guns based on ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It is becoming more important...my personal resources include .22, .32, .380, .38. .30-.30, 410, 12ga, 9mm, .45, and lots of .223... I am trying to ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying new guns based on ammo

It is becoming more important...my personal resources include .22, .32, .380, .38. .30-.30, 410, 12ga, 9mm, .45, and lots of .223...

I am trying to buy additional weapons in the fewer different calibers...long guns, .223 and 12ga...pistols, 9mm and .45!

As the elections grow closer, buy for your long-term needs NOW!

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

2. Remove Ads

I buy whatever I want. Ammo has no bearing on my decision!!!

My purchases will be according to ammo I already have. I won't be seeking any new calibers such as the .357SIG, or 45GI, or 45Gap. I might consider a .380 as a BUG, and keep a couple hundred rounds for it, but that's about the extent of it. I have plenty of reloading supplies for the rifles and haven't bought factory ammo for those in years.

Ammo & gun choice

I like to stick to what is common and what I might already have.
    I thought about purchasing a new 40 S&W handgun but the wife has a 9mm so I will go with that too. 9mm is cheaper than 40 and good ammo is available for 9mm. I like to stick with the popular calibers for ammo choice and availability.
    .380, 9mm, 45ACP
    .22LR,.22WMR, .223, 7.62x39, 30-30, .308, 12GA.

Not counting shotguns and rifles...YES! All my pistols are .45 acp.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I have lost count of the die sets I have. A lot of them cmae to me by way of guys that had weird calibers and asked me to reload for them. They would shoot the guns a few times, then trade them off or sell them and leave the dies and loading supplies with me.

My last purchase was the Ruger 10/22 and i got it mostly because the only other .22 in the house was the wifes and she doesn't let me shoot it.

I live in a rural area. No wal-mart or big boxes anywhere near.

Local hardware stores have limited ammo selections. That makes 357sig, 45 gap 10mm ect. difficult to find.

Best bet around here is to stick with common calibers like .45, 380, 9mm, 38 special, 357 magnum and so on.

So I guess my answer is I indeed purchase firearms with due consideration of ammo availability

Yup. For "working" purposes...standardization...especially given scarce resources. (For some reason, I think I need to eat and own a motor vehicle.) Rationale follows...

Made the decision to cut down on ammo required a couple of years ago. My ex made the decision that she wanted a 9mm...otherwise I'd have stuck with .40 & .45 only. Now I have 9mm only...and no wife.

I could easily be persuaded to pick up a .45ACP or three...given resources. So...for handguns, yup unless I go to work for someone who issues something else (or get rich and lots of free time to play IDPA/IPSC, etc), I'll stick with 9mm and .45ACP.

I've even gone a step farther... Except for the fact that I will endeavor to keep the CZ75 'cuz it shoots oh sooooo well... I've decided to standardize all the carry stuff on the XD platform. I've had Glocks and they are fine tools...but I like the grip of the XD better. The CZ doesn't have a light rail... So, I'm back to one mfr/style to greatly streamline not only ammo supply but also mags and holsters and manual of arms.

As for shotguns...is there anything besides 12ga? Rifles...that's a different story for me since all my rifles are for hunting/plinking. I don't mind a variety there. .243 for deer/varmints... .270 for everything else. SMLE and Mosin Nagant 'cuz I like to watch people jump the first time they shoot'em... and I'm a history buff. I also prefer bolt-actions... If I were to have more than one semi for serious work they'd be standardized, too.

Be safe,
    Michael
    XD9 Service, CZ-75B, Glock 21, Kel-Tec P3AT
    Rifles...yes...and shotguns....and
    "Unofficial Legislative Attache...er...Watchdog...er...Agitator."
    "Yes, I vote...but not for the candidate I prefer: None of the Above."

VIP Member
    Does not matter.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Yeah, it's a consideration- but it's never been the deciding factor. I mean, sometimes a particular gun is just 2 kewl to pass on!

Besides, I like to surf the net and I enjoy shopping for deals on ammo. I also don't have time to shoot as much as I'd like, so that helps keep the cost down (turn a negative into a positive anytime you can, I say!).
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Actually no. The guns I buy are mainly for collecting. I want to own every model and caliber Winchester Leveraction made. I would also like to own ever make, model, caliber of 1911 type pistol ever manufactured. I basically buy what I want out of what is available in the price range my budget allows.

Not necessarily, my last purchase was the Glock 19. It's my only 9mm, but it's slowly becoming my favorite gun.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links