Bought ammo lately

This is a discussion on Bought ammo lately within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am glad to say, having stocked up fairly well on consumables ........ I have not bought any factory stuff for .. hmmm ....... months! ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bought ammo lately

Assistant Administrator
    I am glad to say, having stocked up fairly well on consumables ........ I have not bought any factory stuff for .. hmmm ....... months! Last was IIRC early last summer, since when reloading has been my way to go.

I do admit tho as well - my useage of stuff like 7.62x39 and 7.62x51 rifle ammo has dropped a lot ... and I am reluctant to ''invade'' my stock that was bought at OK prices, knowing what replacement will now cost.

Fortunately (as per last Saturday) ...... my most fun and practice with rifle is putting a load of 8mm thru my Turk Mauser. Bought 3,400 rounds coupla years ago for $125!! OK - a few won't go bang but hey - it's cheap shooting.

It won't get any better tho - I am sure of that, so, practice when you can but - do not deplete too much.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

I'm getting ready to make a big ammo purchase...9mm, .40, and .223 (for my new (to me) M4ergy I plan on getting in the next month).
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    Bought gas lately? Or groceries or movie tickets or anything else? Your poor old dollars just ain't worth very much, and it will only get worse.

Actually, ammo prices aren't all that bad. Back when gas was less than 30 cents a gallon, .22 ammo was just under a dollar a box of 50, and I was paying almost $5/box of .45. We got spoiled by relatively cheap ammo prices in the last few decades.
    I have to agree - we've been in a retro era for a decade plus with respect to ammo prices. I took my first training course in 1992 and I bought a case of W-W .45 ACP for $125 plus tax from the cheapest place around at the time. 15 years later, the price just exceeded that last fall.

I'm not happy about paying more these days, but I *do* recognize that we were living on borrowed time.

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    Bought gas lately? Or groceries or movie tickets or anything else? Your poor old dollars just ain't worth very much, and it will only get worse.

Actually, ammo prices aren't all that bad. Back when gas was less than 30 cents a gallon, .22 ammo was just under a dollar a box of 50, and I was paying almost $5/box of .45. We got spoiled by relatively cheap ammo prices in the last few decades.
    WITH my student discount movie tickets were $8.25 each last night. I'm sorry but the cost of gas shouldn't affect MOVIE TICKETS. Especially not by $.75 per ticket.

As far as the ammo is concerned. I refuse to buy into a price gouge and will only buy more ammo when the price is right. If that price doesn't go down for another year, then the manufacturers are not getting my money for another year. Please, let's not let ammo manufacturers become the next oil producers in thinking they can continue to raise prices no matter what and get sales. Wal-Mart can kiss my ... if they think I'm paying $19-20 for a box of 9mm.
    Some people don't deserve saving.

....the water is almost at a boil

VIP Member
    If these prices keep going up it's going to make a re-loader out of me!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

My local dealer said that ammo is scheduled to go up again in June...dramatically. I've got some .270 Win that I bought last fall for $12 / box of 20...it now costs him $16 / box of 20. (Federal blue box.) Same for .243 Win and just about everything else on his shelves. Haven't priced handgun ammo in a bit...but looks like I'm gonna stop buying guns and concentrate on ammo for a while.

Be safe,
    Michael
    XD9 Service, CZ-75B, Glock 21, Kel-Tec P3AT
    Rifles...yes...and shotguns....and
    "Unofficial Legislative Attache...er...Watchdog...er...Agitator."
    "Yes, I vote...but not for the candidate I prefer: None of the Above."

Quote Originally Posted by DizTbone View Post
    I'm gonna stop buying guns and concentrate on ammo for a while.

Be safe,
    Michael
    That's where I'm at.. concentrating on ammo.. in the past month I have purchased.. 2.6k of 5.56.. 300 .50bmg.. 500 .45/.40/9mm. My coffers are dried up for a while...

I have a friend who has a good bit of his basement for reloading, and I might start trying that out. Especially for my .50.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    We walked around the Bass pro in Vegas and were surprised that bulk ammo prices were not that much cheaper than Canada. Your .22 bulk packs in Walmart are about $3.00 cheaper than here, we are currently paying $17.30 plus tax up here.

Gander Mountain ammo prices were up significantly yesterday.
    I was pricing their 250 round bulk packs of 9mm P. at 65 bucks.
    Winchester White Box at Wally World, 100 packs, were considerably cheaper.
    Took a pocket calculator with me and a little button pushing saved me some gas money!
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

I have saved my brass for years. For Practice Ammo I send it to Mastercast Bullet Co. Home Page They send back my Reloaded Ammo. Most of my shooting is with 357mag. This Ammo may not be as screaming hot as Factory Ammo but, it shoots great from my Eight 357 Revolvers. It is probably half or less than half the price of Factory 357 and that includes Shipping between PA. and Ohio. Check out their Web Site and give them a call. So far I have about 4000 rounds of their Ammo in stock

You mean I haven't posted in this thread yet? Been buying at least a box every week at WallyWorld. WWB 100ct 9mm today again. $18.42. Just to make y'all a bit jealous, and to see how much you're overpaying---take a look.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Wally World just raised its ammo prices - again! Two weeks ago I bought a box of .38+P JHP for my wife and paid $15.88/50. Yesterday I paid $17.88/50. Two weeks ago I paid $28.88/100 WWB in .45 and yesterday paid $29.88. I have a good supply of factory stuff. I will either ask one of my customers to reload for me or I will get reloads from Mastercast. I think Mercalf is right - everyone is playing into the pricing game and all that does is drive costs up!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper58 View Post
    Wally World just raised its ammo prices - again! Two weeks ago I bought a box of .38+P JHP for my wife and paid $15.88/50. Yesterday I paid $17.88/50. Two weeks ago I paid $28.88/100 WWB in .45 and yesterday paid $29.88. I have a good supply of factory stuff. I will either ask one of my customers to reload for me or I will get reloads from Mastercast. I think Mercalf is right - everyone is playing into the pricing game and all that does is drive costs up!
    enough said.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

I know some people dont like to shoot it but I don't mind wolf. Never had a problem. Got a couple cases of 9mm for $141 each from sportsmens guide. Got 3000 rnds in centerfire last week. That will be it for awhile though. I told myself I am not buying any more ammo and am going to save for some reloading equipment. Been saving my brass for about a year or so now. I think I have enough that I would be content with the amount of ammo I could get from reloading it. OF course, the price of bullets have gone up too but it's still cheaper to reload than buying manufactured ammo.
    Benjamin Franklin once said, "he that would supplant a little liberty for a little safety deserves neither".

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Just a phone call from a friend that works for Acdemy Sports in Mesquite, Texas; he tells me they are fixing to go up on their prices of ammo next week.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links